Halo Pelican Model

THEdanru

Hi,
This is my first thread:D about my Halo Pelican Dropship.
I started a while back, so the model has made a lot of progress.
The model is made of 0.5mm plasticard.
Pelican 1.jpg
The model is pretty rough, because i started off tracing some paper templates i found off here: http://www.planetstarfreak.de/modeling.php?id=peli
Some of the more recent parts have been measured and cut out.
The green is two part epoxy putty, or green stuff.

Some pics:
Photo on 19-09-2016 at 12.50 PM.jpg
Photo on 19-09-2016 at 12.51 PM.jpg
Photo on 19-09-2016 at 12.51 PM #2.jpg
Photo on 19-09-2016 at 12.52 PM.jpgThe bottom of the craft is all green putty
Photo on 19-09-2016 at 12.52 PM #2.jpg
Photo on 19-09-2016 at 12.52 PM #3.jpg
Photo on 19-09-2016 at 12.53 PM.jpgThe interior bay is all structural stuff, so i decided to add a door based off the halo 3 pelican.
A really useful asset to me was this 3d model: https://www.yobi3d.com/#!/search?q=3d%20models%20halo%20pelican

Please excuse the quality of the pics

NOTE: Click photos for larger, slightly better quality.

Last edited:
Started cutting out some parts for the starboard engine last night and duplicated them for the port engine this morning.
Photo on 31-10-2016 at 12.36 PM.jpg

Also added some thickness on the tail fins and shaved down the join, shown in the right circle
Photo on 31-10-2016 at 12.36 PM #2.jpg

Photo on 31-10-2016 at 10.24 PM #2.jpg
Added put together a bit of the engines. It's pretty crude, so I'll have to source some putty to fill in any unsightly gaps.

Screen Shot 2016-10-31 at 10.28.03 PM.png
My idea for the engines is to do them in three different parts, as shown - the main part, the thruster and the top.

Thanks for stopping by. :D

Hi,
I was adding some parts to the engines when I realised I had a problem.

Photo on 31-10-2016 at 12.36 PM.jpg
I was going to add the top of the engine, but the circled part in the image would have to be parallel to the bottom line.
This is most likely due to my crude method of cutting out shapes.

This is how I proceed:
I have a paper template of the parts (link in the first post)

I used to cut it out and trace it, but that created a lot of loose little bits of paper,

- so -

I now directly measure the paper template, saving me from cutting it out.

I transfer the measurements to the plasticard via ruler, and I can cut it out with scissors.

However the textures are dark and make it hard to see details, so I overlooked the parallel corner I got myself into.

Note:
This thread recently hit over 300 views! :D
Thanks for stopping by and I appreciate your attention.

Last edited:
If you use a temporary adhesive, you can stick your paper template to the plastic and cut them both at the same time, then remove the paper from the plastic. Be careful to remove the adhesive residue before you paint or putty, however.

If you mean a temporary adhesive like blue-tac, I tried that and I have found that it is very unstable and moves the template a lot. I have decided to stick with measuring and pen.
I appreciate your thoughts though :D

I was thinking about "repositionable" (removable) spray adhesive. Once it's on, it should be pretty stable, but the paper should peel off when you're done. I used it to stick a template to a big piece of EVA foam, worked pretty well.

I was thinking about "repositionable" (removable) spray adhesive. Once it's on, it should be pretty stable, but the paper should peel off when you're done. I used it to stick a template to a big piece of EVA foam, worked pretty well.

I feel that it would too overkill for something this small. The model is roughly the length of my palm.

That certainly is some intricate work and it looks great. Are you building it to a specific scale?

I always use rubber cement for gluing down a paper template. I also like it for making paint masks out of paper and being guaranteed that the paint won't bleed. But definitely do what you're most comfortable with and what makes it the most enjoyable.

-Rog

That certainly is some intricate work and it looks great. Are you building it to a specific scale?

No, I didn't consciously build it in a certain scale. I just sized it down to a small size and would fit the templates on a single A4 sheet of paper.

- UPDATE TIME! -

I have made progress on the engines. I fixed the parallel problem and I am putting of a little piece of plasticard on the backs.
Pelican 1.jpg
The one on the right is next for this. It will leave some tiny gaps, so I'll still need to get some putty filler.

Pelican 2.jpg
I placed it on a small cut-out of plasticard, and made sure the surfaces would accomodate a flat back-piece beforehand. I then marked where the edges are and drew some lines for cutting out.

Pelican 3.jpg
Here it is, ready for cutting out.

As for size, it is roughly 8cm, which is about 3.15 inches for all you imperial system users.
Pelican 4.jpg
According to Halo Nation, the D-77TC Pelican is 30.7m (100ft 9in), so the scale would be 1 : 38.375 in cm.

Thanks for reading!

Got the putty. Its working pretty well at filling gaps. Haven't tried it on the engines yet.
Photo on 28-11-2016 at 10.12 PM #2.jpg

I also changed the top vent. Check the earlier posts to see what it looked like before.
Photo on 28-11-2016 at 10.11 PM.jpg

As for the engines, I have made the top parts of them and will use putty to create the slant, hence the stair-like structure.
Photo on 28-11-2016 at 10.13 PM.jpg

Awesome idea, it's coming along great. You're really getting every detail, nicely done!

I'm working on a Halo scratch build myself. I'm also into Warhammer (I see you've got a few Space Marines there) and will be converting the Forerunner base I'm making into a Necon landing platform ;)

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays

I'm working on a Halo scratch build myself. I'm also into Warhammer (I see you've got a few Space Marines there) and will be converting the Forerunner base I'm making into a Necon landing platform

That's a cool idea, do you have a thread about it?

Anyways, I've been puttying and sanding a lot. It's taking a while, but I'm making progress.

20161223_103243[1].jpg
20161223_103307[1].jpg
20161223_103317[1].jpg
20161223_103339[1].jpg
Still lots of putty and sanding to do! :D

- UPDATE TIME! -

Putty and sanding is moving slowly and was lowering my motivation for the project. So i decided to get onto new pieces instead of slowly filling and sanding.

20170109_231453[2].jpg
Mystery pieces! (There's not many parts to choose from anymore) :lol

20170109_231602[2].jpg
Engines. puttied and sanded several times.

20170109_231737[1].jpg
Getting a nice slope for the tops of the engines using putty.

20170109_231856[1].jpg
The tops will fit on the engines like this.

20170109_231950[1].jpg
The gap will be filled with putty after the top is glued on.

Almost there!:D
Thanks for looking

Last edited:
Can't see the images in your last post but cool build nonetheless! Here's mine...

WP_20150314_003.jpg

about 3 foot long from head to tail IIRC.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back