Halloween Movie Thread

Probe Droid’s mention of Mickey Rourke has selected tonights viewing, “Angel Heart”

Based on Stephen King's recommendation I watched the new Child's Play. Oh my god, a complete freakin' cowpie! I'm the next guy who's going to run over Uncle Stevie. Then I'll back up over Hamill.

At least I also got in House of Frankenstein.

Watched Lugosi in The Ape Man. You have to see it to believe it. Bela was giving it his all, but still. It's a riff on Jekyll & Hyde/The Invisible Man with a scientist experimenting on himself with terrible results. The thing that kills it is the supporting characters; the film was made a few years after His Girl Friday and is one of too many to feature fast-talking, wise-cracking women reporters wearing silly hats. If the film removed that and played it straight, it wouldn't have been half bad.

Bela Ape Man 2.JPG

Need a little cheese tonight to go with the wine, “The Blob” both the original AND the remake

So, after stumbling through The Ape Man (see above), I watched, I swear to God, Bela Lugosi Meets a Brooklyn Gorilla. I take back all the negatives I said about Ape Man because it was Casablanca by comparison. Brooklyn Gorilla had Bela as a mad scientist (what else?) in the jungle foiled by two guys impersonating Martin and Lewis (credit where it's due, the guy channeling Jerry was spot on). I can't believe they got away with it without being sued! There must me a story behind it.

Watched Carpenter's The Fog, a film I used to like. Hadn't seen it in years and, alas, it didn't hold up well at all. The actors were okay, but it was slow as hell and not very convincing. Apparently, Carpenter initially designed it as a very subtle ghost story, but the studio stepped in....

Watched Creature from the Black Lagoon, always fun, after The Fog and TCM ran The Bride of Frankenstein last night and Dracula, Prince of Darkness this morning so I finished off with those.

Last edited:
:D I HATED that Movie when it first came out but now I absolutely love it! :D

Carpenter wanted to do an old fashioned ghost story at a time when slasher movies were starting to be the hip new thing

Love the moody and atmospheric way it was done

Watched Carpenter's The Fog, a film I used to like. Hadn't seen it in years and, alas, it didn't hold up well at all. The actors were okay, but it was slow as hell and not very convincing. Apparently, Carpenter initially designed it as a very subtle ghost story, but the studio stepped in....

Finished up the Halloween week with The Night That Panicked America. Great docudrama of the Orson Wells radio show of War of the Worlds that actually caused panic in the 30s.

I'd DVR'd Gods and Monsters awhile back but didn't get to it until yesterday. Enjoyed it. Hadn't seen it in many years and it held up well for me.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back