Halloween head prop

merch

Hello All,
a few pics of a prop I made.
My mate from work was doing a big face-painting/horror makeup gig for Halloween 2012 - wanted to do something a bit eye catching for his business cards and this was the last minute solution I came up with and the final job from my old workshop before the big clear out and tidy.
View attachment 148309
It's life sized and converted from a plastic talking skull bought in a budget store. The jaw already moved so I did a test of the silicone tendons to make sure they wouldn't cause enough tension to stop the motor moving the jaw. There was a pair of cheap eyes in it that needed replacing.
View attachment 148310
The tendon test worked - so full steam ahead and three long days and two nights to get it ready in time for show day. I scrubbed the acrylic paint shading off as I knew there was going to be a problem getting the clay to stay attached to the polythene plastic. After rewiring the internals and setting the new eyes in place - I heated upholstery staples and melted them in place with pliers to form an anchor for the clay.
View attachment 148311
Did the muscles in air dry clay as there was no budget for this job and used red silicone gasket rubber and strips I snipped off my wife's pilates band to make the movable tendons. The original eyes were replaced with a home made realistic set and a cut price fabric hood covered the rest.
View attachment 148312
With no time for proper cast teeth I whipped up an oversized set of gnashers from the tips of some stick on acrylic nails. Painted with all surface primer for the base red oxide plus translucent red enamel for the fresh bits. :sick - and there you go.

Sometimes you have to work outside of your comfort zone to try new ways of doing stuff! and everyone who took a business card that day remembered the event!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back