Halloween Ends (Discussion Thread)

As much a fan as I am for Halloween, I didn't think much at all for the first of these movies (didn't catch the second one) and thought it was even more contrived that Myers is after Laurie after 40+ years than in the sequels where he only killed family members.

I can't get behind its premise and I probably won't see this. Honestly, what more can they do than rehash the first film again?

I hope Strode goes out in a blaze of glory but I doubt I'll be watching.

This is unlikely but maybe they'll go the Halloween III anthology film route for the next installment? I'd be all for that especially if Carpenter was involved and they left Myers completely out of it.

Halloween is my favorite horror franchise but after the last movie, I'm not too excited for this one.

Saw this one today.
It's not the movie I expected, or wanted exactly, but it respect what they were going for.
Full marks for the lack of ambiguity in the finale though.

Just watched this as well. I liked it. I didn’t love it. This thread is going to be VERY difficult to discuss without giving away spoilers. I will just say that I found the connection between Corey and Micheal to be odd, disjointed and somewhat confusing. The ending was, well, the ending.
The one thing that bugs me the most is I didn’t get the payoff I wanted. I won’t say anymore unless this thread moves to “spoilers revealed “.

Last edited:
Just watched this as well. I liked it. I didn’t love it. This thread is going to be VERY difficult to discuss without giving away spoilers. I will just say that I found the connection between Corey and Micheal to be odd, disjointed and somewhat confusing. The ending was, well, the ending.
The one thing that bugs me the most is I didn’t get the payoff I wanted. I won’t say anymore unless this thread moves to “spoilers revealed “.
Well, you could use spoiler tags for your replies and warn folks that if they decide to look, it's their own fault! :D

Not going to give away the whole plot, but I found making Corey into a secondary villain really took away from the dynamic they'd built over the last two movies between Laurie and Michael, to the point where Michael was basically a side character in the structure of this movie.

They played it up to a place where his murder spree from the last two films is sort of looming over Haddonfield, trying to make it feel like he is omnipresent in the film even when he's not there, and it just didn't work for me. Once he finally shows up though, it's sort of back to business as usual.

My biggest beef is that I just don't care about Corey. He's set up as a lousy babysitter who can't follow the parent's instructions, which leads to a situation in which an accident occurs, which then leads to him being a sort of social pariah in town. He's awkward as hell, and about as charismatic as a tree stump, so I kind of just don't care about the guy. I don't feel bad watching him turn into a murderer, and as a secondary villain in this series I'd just as soon he got the hell out of the way so I could have more of the villain I wanted to see.

In the end Michael is very definitively gotten rid of, short of a full supernatural turn that the series isn't likely to take. But, it does make nods to the idea that Michael has an evil power meter, for lack of a better term, and that something of that is transferred to Corey.

I dunno. It's not a terrible movie, but it felt too long and didn't really payoff in the ways that I'd hoped it would.

7/10 for me. A good movie and a fitting end.

Hopefully this is the end now. No more rehashed etc because to me they ruin the original story.

7/10 for me. A good movie and a fitting end.

Hopefully this is the end now. No more rehashed etc because to me they ruin the original story.
I wished there was more Myers in this ending. I felt they focused too much, “elsewhere”. That’s all I will say, so as not to spoil things. But I doubt it is done. Note when Laurie was typing at the end, she said, “evil never dies, it just changes shape”. That leaves it open to carrying on.

I wished there was more Myers in this ending. I felt they focused too much, “elsewhere”. That’s all I will say, so as not to spoil things. But I doubt it is done. Note when Laurie was typing at the end, she said, “evil never dies, it just changes shape”. That leaves it open to carrying on.

True. From the first few minutes I guessed what was going to happen, it's quite obvious. I hope they finally leave it be now.

They just couldn't let it end completely. Typical.
What are you talking about?
They did let it end completely. Kinda hard to bounce back from a metal grinder.

Also, is it just me, or does anyone else feel that Halloween Ends comes off more like a remake of John Carpenter's adaptation of Stephen King's Christine? I mean... you have a teenage guy named Cunningham who is bullied, comes across the form of ultimate evil, gets corrupted by it, showing to be more confident, and then ends up going after those bullies as punishment and anyone who gets in his way. Except for this story, Michael is Christine, or how it seems.

What are you talking about?
They did let it end completely. Kinda hard to bounce back from a metal grinder.

Also, is it just me, or does anyone else feel that Halloween Ends comes off more like a remake of John Carpenter's adaptation of Stephen King's Christine? I mean... you have a teenage guy named Cunningham who is bullied, comes across the form of ultimate evil, gets corrupted by it, showing to be more confident, and then ends up going after those bullies as punishment and anyone who gets in his way. Except for this story, Michael is Christine, or how it seems.
I think the “can’t let it end”, means they left it open when Laurie types the line “I killed my boogeyman, but evil never dies… it just changes shape.” And there is a reason they used to call Michael Myers, “the shape” in the credits.

If you don’t think a studio would use something simple, as that line, as a springboard to carry something on, then you haven’t watched enough franchise horror films. :lol:

Think back to a dead Jason Vorhees, and during his autopsy, the coroner is overcome with evil and eats Jason’s heart, and becomes the new incarnation of Jason. If they choose to carry on, they will find some stupid solution like that, to have the new shape take form.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back