Halloween 2013 Costume Contest: Mojo JoJo Build

spydrwebz

Decided to take a break from the kinds of costumes I usually do (Jack Sparrow and Wolverine) and try my hand at something a bit different this year.Hopefully I'll get it done before Halloween.

Im still in the planning stage but this is what I have so far, for his face I'll be using this and painting it green.
zs68.jpg

I'll also affix the monkey mutton chops with artificial hair and spirit glue.

I plan on making the turban, tunic, belt and cape myself.

Ive also sourced a pair of white boots that should look great with a little painting.Any suggestion on how to do that would be awesome.
g98s.jpg

If anyone has any ideas on white flared gloves or any easy way to make the arms outside of buying a complete gorilla suit Id love to hear them.

I'll make sure to post progress pics and anything else I find for this build.Thanks in advance for looking and for any advice you might send my way.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:
Re: Halloween 2013 Mojo JoJo Build

Decided to go with store bought gloves since Im trying to get this done before Halloween. Im going to be making the tunic, cape, belt and turban myself as well as doing all of the makeup work and application of crepe hair. These are the gloves I decided to go with .

View attachment 241308

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a progress pic of the turban. I got the basic shape down and skinned with craft foam before sealing it all up with equal parts Aileen's craft glue and water.Has about 5 coats on it. Tomorrow, I start applying bondo to refine the shape at the top and seal the edges where there are gaps.

mjvu.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Not much progress to report right now. I went over the top with joint compound to smooth everything out. Just waiting for it to dry now before I start sanding.

Found it to be very much like icing a cake, especially with the shape of the turban.

Its starting to develop a few hairline cracks but I expected that and will be sealing it a couple of more times with the glue mixture before the final paint any way.

Here are a couple more pics:

igl2.jpg

yu7r.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Quick update: Got the turban smoothed out and shaped a bit tonight.

s32k.jpg

Also started working on the jewels. Im using ovals cut out of foam then applying hot glue and finishing off with a skim coat of the joint compound. Im finding this stuff very nice to work with, the only issue has been the 24 hour drying time. Will post pics of them tomorrow evening.

- - - Updated - - -

Got a bit more done on the turban tonight.Finished sanding and applied the primer and base coats. Still have to go over everything with a detail brush and apply a coat or two of clearcoat.

I could have spent another week on this getting it perfect but Ive lost costume contests because things looked too store bought, so Im definitely staying with the homemade feel on this one. Anyways hope you like, I'll post more pics tomorrow.

w7r7.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Clearcoat applied.

pdo5.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 241309

- - - Updated - - -

dolt.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

dolt.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Coming down to the wire so I ordered this gorilla shirt.

njs5.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Thats it for now will post more pics as things arrive and start to come together more. Hope you like it.

Nothing in the way of pics today but expect some tomorrow. I got the boots, gorilla shirt (which does come with gloves and the worst gorilla mask Ive ever seen) and gloves in, as well as the fabric.

Ive spent the past couple of days making a newspaper pattern for the medieval tabard that he wears. Tonight I pinned the pattern to my fabric then left an inch allowance all the way around and carefully cut it out. Still came out a little smaller than I would have liked but will definitely still work.

I need to go to my local thrift store tomorrow and buy some white nurses pants but expect pics of the lower half from the neck down minus the belt.

I still need to stitch witch and sew the hem around the tabard and add foamies to underneath the shoulder bells for shape but you should get the general idea

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to add that the latex Chimpanzee prosthetic is being shipped on the 16th so should have pics of that as well very soon.

I think you might be my daughters hero. I showed her this and now she wont stop talking about how cool this is!

I think you might be my daughters hero. I showed her this and now she wont stop talking about how cool this is!

Thanks Quixotic. Im gonna do my level best not to disappoint. Im actually having a lot of fun with this build, trying out different techniques for construction and sharpening rusty skills.

Off to stitch witch the tunic now.

Sorry for the lack of updates guys. In addition to school full-time I also work at a haunted house weekends during the month of October.

Just got the latex appliance in and 90 percent finished with the tunic just have to go to my moms and sew the edges. Gonna finish the cape and the belt this week and post pics as soon as I can.

I got the gloves, white boots, white pants, and all the fabric I need to finish. If all goes well I will be finished by this coming Friday.

Heres a couple of quick teaser pics of the prosthetic (unpainted) with the turban.

ri9e.jpg

ktdk.jpg

x8xp.jpg

Base coat on the prosthetic using PAX. Its a mixture of Prosaide and Acrylic paint. Waiting for it to dry before adding the details and darker areas around the nose and lips.

More to come soon

Sorry for the lack of updates.Ive been working non-stop on the costume to get it ready for a costume party on Saturday November 02.

Here are some pics of the completed costume and the required proof. Hope you enjoy.

On a side note I ended up taking first place tonight to thunderous applause. :) My apologies in advance for the poor photo skills.

9nf5.jpg

4aki.jpg

tj2f.jpg

v5px.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

a4f9.jpg

0q9z.jpg

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back