Halliwax's weird V3 theory

Well the Hoth soldiers using the saber as a hammer would certainly explain the warped V2 emitter. As far as I understood that is a seam line and the entire emitter spun on a rod that attached to the motor. If you watch the video from Pop Culture Quest, Brandon spins the entire emitter at that exact point when Mark Hamill is holding the hilt as they talk about the mechanics of the "special effects saber".

Ooh!! Your talking about the recess! I thought you meant seam line as in a mark from casting

I got ya now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wait.

That Death saber doesn't have a wide emitter plate. In fact, I almost can't see it.

I always thought this was bare metal, but the windvane and emitter look different.

What if they are different shades of metal. Like vadermania said, the body would be darker metal and the emitter would be brighter.. aluminum?
deathsaber.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the Hoth soldiers using the saber as a hammer would certainly explain the warped V2 emitter. As far as I understood that is a seam line and the entire emitter spun on a rod that attached to the motor. If you watch the video from Pop Culture Quest, Brandon spins the entire emitter at that exact point when Mark Hamill is holding the hilt as they talk about the mechanics of the "special effects saber".

I think he's referring to the vertical seam line, from the casting process. The V3 has got one, and I'd imagine the V2 does as well, it's just under the tape.

I really wish they would x-ray some of these props. They do it all the time for archeological finds.

Yes!

Tall transistors (normal casings)
glue or washers under them

empty clamp set high

black rings

I still see bare metal for the windvane and emitter, but they look to be different shades of metal.

does not appear to be the V3 looking at the emitter plate.

has a nipple

So what's people's opinions? Is the "death saber" the V2, the V3 or its own thing?

I can't make up my mind on such a blurry photo

I don’t think it’s the V2, based upon the emitter and windvane color. There should be uniform black paint on the emitter and muddy brown paint on the windvane if it’s the V2. To the contrary, the emitter and the windvane of the “Death Saber” almost looks like bare metal. So, unless there was a V4 created as the “Death Saber” it must be the V3.

One thing to note—the behind the scenes footage of the “Death Saber” appears to show a stationary (non-spinning) blade. If the V3, as some have theorized, never was motorized, it would make sense that what we are seeing is the V3.

846F8707-7327-4F1A-9F40-0B778007AC2E.jpegDCBB1EEB-6478-4820-BAE7-25D29D798AE9.jpeg

I don’t detect a nipple in the photo collage of the “Death Saber”...I see shine coming from the edge of the emitter rim. To that point, I am not altogether certain that the V3 NEVER had a nipple either, in any case.

Last edited:
Oh boy are we in a pickle now...

So.. what I see..

- I see a nipple
- I see transistors with empty clamp
- looks like the sharp edge of a graflex lever..
- grey emitter
- lightly colored windvane
- FAT rings...

Looks even fatter then the v3 rings..

I’m totally lost right now...

I don’t think it’s the V2, based upon the emitter and windvane color. There should be uniform black paint on the emitter and muddy brown paint on the windvane if it’s the V2. To the contrary, the emitter and the windvane of the “Death Saber” almost looks like bare metal. So, unless there was a V4 created as the “Death Saber” it must be the V3.

One thing to note—the behind the scenes footage of the “Death Saber” appears to show a stationary (non-spinning) blade. If the V3, as some have theorized, never was motorized, it would make sense that what we are seeing is the V3.

View attachment 848442View attachment 848443

I don’t detect a nipple in the photo collage of the “Death Saber”...I see shine coming from the edge of the emitter rim. To that point, I am not altogether certain that the V3 NEVER had a nipple either, in any case.

Alley don’t let the lighting confuse you. Check out how dark obiwans cape is in that picture. This picture has always been darker to me then the rest of them

36db11c645c4c100f53fa2b8bc2cf2b5.jpg

29bba088d86a355a05ed367e5443a69f.jpg

Not saying the emitter isn’t black, I highly agree with ya, but I think the windvane is more lightly colored then we see in the photo. And just a lighting trick

Even today the windvane is like a chameleon, depending on the light

Alley don’t let the lighting confuse you. Check out how dark obiwans cape is in that picture. This picture has always been darker to me then the rest of them

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181012/36db11c645c4c100f53fa2b8bc2cf2b5.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181012/29bba088d86a355a05ed367e5443a69f.jpg

Not saying the emitter isn’t black, I highly agree with ya, but I think the windvane is more lightly colored then we see in the photo. And just a lighting trick

I personally am not convinced that emitter on the V2 is black. If you look at the booster section in the last photo, that looks black to me. While the emitter looks a bit lighter to me.....

Given that it was involved in a gag, I think it's entirely possible, maybe even probable, that the Death Saber was built specifically for that purpose, like the sabers used when Luke and then Vader get their hands cut off.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181012/36db11c645c4c100f53fa2b8bc2cf2b5.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181012/29bba088d86a355a05ed367e5443a69f.jpg

If I may borrow PoopaPapaPalps picture, and increase the saturation it looks a bit more noticeable to me. It looks, to me, that the emitter is more of a gray.

20181012_124047.jpg

I personally am not convinced that emitter on the V2 is black. If you look at the booster section in the last photo, that looks black to me. While the emitter looks a bit lighter to me.....

But aren’t you all SUPPOSED to just agree with me and my opinion?? I used my words, didn’t I? Isn’t that how forums work?

I’m taking my bat and ball and going home.

What's the source of this series of images? Alley mentioned BTS footage?

To me the clamp appears to be missing a clamp bar on the side closest to the camera, making that the V2... but if we could see a few other frames that could help verify.

Dang... I miss a missing box now too...

Hmm, there are shots of the suspended robe and saber in both of those videos, but I don't see that specific close up shot where there's a hand adjusting things. Is there another?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back