Halliwax's weird V3 theory

Love it being pack, but still will support therpf 100% with its premium member fee! I live on this thing and can’t imagine living without it!

Therpf for life!!

... now we need art to do another T-shirt run

It is not some “rod” or “grub screws” that holds the V3 together...

...it is the mystical, awesome, colossal, “Will of The Force” that holds everything about the Saber in balance.

I know—I have seen the pictures. Believe me...

4E11A436-5F00-4D9C-BB24-4AC76559EF3A.jpeg

Mystery solved.

Last edited:
It may be a tube inside the shaft that’s in the hilt... and the rod slides down the tube..

Doubt it because grub screws won’t work..

Loved to know how the emitter on the v3 stays fixed in this scene...

Unless.... unless the emitter was cut off after they decided it was done as a stunt and wanted it as a display piece.. but I seriously doubt that too..

Who knows at this point, once you think you have it solved BAAAAAM!! Nope!

It may be a tube inside the shaft that’s in the hilt... and the rod slides down the tube..

Doubt it because grub screws won’t work..

Loved to know how the emitter on the v3 stays fixed in this scene...

Unless.... unless the emitter was cut off after they decided it was done as a stunt and wanted it as a display piece.. but I seriously doubt that too..

Who knows at this point, once you think you have it solved BAAAAAM!! Nope!

Any chance that the neck broke while filming?

Looking at the resin V3. The groove in the neck. There doesn't look like there is any evidence of a cut. Like in the notch of the neck. Maybe I'm just seeing things. But I'm wondering if the emitter and neck were all one piece when the mold negative was made.

Maybe the Yuma stunt was made to replace the V3 after it had broken?

Last edited:
If that were true... it's funny that the V2 was cut there on purpose and the V3 had broken in the same spot. It is the weakest part..

If that were true... it's funny that the V2 was cut there on purpose and the V3 had broken in the same spot. It is the weakest part..

Yes... I now wonder if the emitter was cut off the v3 when making it a static hilt.. it seriously doesn’t mechanically make sense for that emitter to stay on there..

UNLESS that is gaffers tape I’m seeing...

So how's does this sound?

1) The V3 is made for ANH, but never finished. Or at least never got motorized.

2) It gets used as a practice saber on ESB.

3) Ends up being used as the main stunt saber, but breaks during filming. (Is this why we see Mark practicing with the pre-Barbican saber?)

4) gets a quick fix so they can finish the Throne Room stuff.

5) because it's broken now, the prop department whips up new stunt saber, the Yuma

Last edited:
Here is a comparison of the original V3 "neck" compared to the neck of my original metal blank from ANH. To me it seems like the V3 emitter has been cut off in order to mechanize the saber.
Original V3:
View attachment 966517
My metal blank:
View attachment 966518

Vadermania, what was your opinion again on all that gunk on the lower emitter and neck? It sure looks like tape in the visual dictionary, but if it's not, we can rule out a grub screw in the upper neck

Vadermania, what was your opinion again on all that gunk on the lower emitter and neck? It sure looks like tape in the visual dictionary, but if it's not, we can rule out a grub screw in the upper neck
I think it is metal gunk from the casting process, which wasn‘t cleaned off. There are a few spots on my saber, too, but not as much as on the V3.

So how's does this sound?

1) The V3 is made for ANH, but never finished. Or at least never got motorized.

2) It gets used as a practice saber on ESB.

3) Ends up being used as the main stunt saber, but breaks during filming. (Is this why we see Mark practicing with the Barbican saber?)

4) gets a quick fix so they can finish the Throne Room stuff.

5) because it's broken now, the prop department whips up new stunt saber, the Yuma
Sounds good to me

vadermania I can’t seem to find your post with the video of the v3 losing its rod

I just watched from Star Wars to Jedi thinking that was the video and it’s not

Do you happen to remember the name of the video, I’ve seen it before but want to try and grab some better screen shots

I'll make a correction there, Luke never used the Barbican. That was a Vader ANH Stunt (square shoulder) that got scrapped pretty quickly.

Vader used the fake Graflex (basically a pipe cut off at the end) as did Luke. More were made/used/seen behind the scenes for the next two movies.

Theory: The V3 suffered much trauma during fencing and at the Vader hand removal gag/pole slice. Somewhere in there it broke or nearly/partially broke at the thin neck.

Maybe some welding was attempted but they gave up when it looked worse-hence the scars.

They didn't clean it up too well then covered it up in shiny tape and orange and black paint. Poor V3.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back