Half-Life: Alyx Combine Battery

AndyJ

Hey all! Been a while since I've posted here, but I just finished up my Combine Battery from HL:A and had to share.
It took about a week, I made masters from resin 3D prints and cast them in the correct color. I ripped the model from the game, which of course has no detail (all the detail is normal mapped on) so I had to use it as a size reference for my own model, that incorporated that detail back in.

I wound up with about 27 separate pieces that were all glued together. The "spikes" on top are small dowel pins, and I had the pins in when I molded the masters. That leaves perfectly sized holes in the mold, so all I have to do is pop the pins in those holes before pouring resin, and they get aligned and bonded automatically.

The core is translucent, and I plan on adding lights one day, but today is not that day :) I cast the parts in the correct color so I didn't have to paint besides a quick drybrush. The in-game model has Combine text all over it, but it's far too small IRL for either my vinyl cutter or laser engraver--so I just turned it into squiggles. I'm not sold on it tbh, but it reads fine at a glance.

Let me know if you guys have any questions!
cbatt_1.3.1.jpg
cbatt_1.4.1.jpg
cbatt_1.5.1.jpg
cbatt_1.6.1.jpg
cbatt_1.7.1.jpg

Looks great to me. So the dark grey is tinted resin rather than paint? I'm also curious about ripping the game model, I've wanted to do that too for props I've made but it seemed difficult. Did you think it end up being worth it since it didn't have any details anyway and was just good proportion reference?

Thanks! I'm hoping to tackle Gravity Gloves next, but I want to do it properly--machined parts, custom PCBs, etc.
I don't mean to necro this thread, but if you get custom PCBs made for the gloves, I'd love a kit. This battery is awesome. Do you sell your props or have a shop?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back