Just threw on some articles I had lying around to try to prototype how I'd like the outfit to look. I just got a pair of jackboots I hope will work, but they're a little goofy looking. Admittedly, the combine's jackboots are a little goofy looking, but I don't much care for too much goofy.
5Soctpr.png

Note: These are NOT the final pants!

That's as much as I'll show you, though. I don't think anyone would come back after seeing the monstrosity the prototype was. Not to worry, however. Things are coming together, albeit slowly. For the pants, I am planning a regular fitting, flat fronted pant, preferably in a twill or cotton.

Oh man. I just found some pictures I haven't been able to find before. HL: Alyx reference pics. They changed the Metrocop a bit. I am not sure exactly how I feel about them but I don't think it's bad.

4rX6vjw.jpg
XVmjwza.jpg

Honestly, I think it simplifies the whole thing a bit. Unfortunately, it makes the boots I just got a little bit obsolete. The new boots fit more like riding boots than jackboots, as I have. Riding boots ain't cheap...
It looks like the vest is now smaller— while maintaining true to the original design— and the jacket is more approachable. In HL:2, it was clearly a vest, as shown in this pic I took off msleeper's blog.

6P38mSK.jpg

Incorporating the details like the white shoulders and reflective chest square into the jacket will be a bigger job, however. I had made plans regarding the vest, so I am leaning towards the original design. I will perhaps make both, as I intend to make a new vest anyway. The new jacket looks like a black field jacket with white strips going over the shoulder.

The good news is there is likely a commercially available jacket that can be easily modified to resemble the new Metrocop. The bad news is it is probably expensive and will be difficult (read: time) to find cheap. I still continue to do everything for as cheap as I can, after all.

In the end, I think I'm going to combine (heh) all the details from all the renderings I've seen while trying to maintain as true to the original game as I can. As I stated in the beginning, I am basing it largely off the model from mb814. Besides, the old and new are hardly different! The layman will probably call it a stormtrooper, anyway.

Please give me your ideas! I need them.

Last edited:
The layman will probably call it a stormtrooper, anyway
Either that or a Starship Trooper. That's what we Halo Marines always get called.
Looks like your planning is coming along. I think the biggest difference between the two CP's are the colours, and the respirator (which I prefer the HL2 one anyway). Also some slightly different contours on the mask but that's not too big a deal.

Also some slightly different contours on the mask but that's not too big a deal.

Max Aristov is the artist who designed the new metrocops. I sent him a message about them just now. His original designs had a lot more blue, but looked largely the same. Other differences than the ones you noted include a smaller, more streamlined vest. The new one omits rib and shoulder panels in favor of wide straps. The chest reflector is now part of the vest.

The gloves now have buckles. What looked like a shine accent on the original model is now a white stripe on the gloves. What were previously white stripes on the old 'cops shoulders are now zippers. The new boots are better fitting and resemble riding boots. They now have a zipper on the interior of each leg. They now have a white stripe on the outward face of each leg. Overall, the design is hardly touched, the biggest change being the vest. The mask and overall look have survived any alterations. I love it.

Edit: Although, after I think about it, the cutout from the chest of the new vest is a little odd, and I don't think I'll do that. That is like, the most vital spot on the chest, and it's left completely unprotected. Metrocops are unmodified humans, so it's not like their heart was moved. They just might be saved from a lung shot.

Edit 2: Although, lore-wise, this does take place before HL2, so maybe the combine hadn't quite figured out the best way to arm their soldiers. Hence, the different soldiers faced throughout the game.

I'm running in circles....

Last edited:
I added screenshots of the new CP under the HL media tab here: Half-Life

Man oh man, these are perfect! Thank you. I remember following your thread closely years ago. I am scouring it again for its resources.

I've been looking at some jackets, the new combine seems to be a soft shell material.

This one seems ok.
VBUBJ3D.jpg

But it doesn't come down far enough. The new combine also has pockets on the front, like this one.
RdbaN2E.jpg

This jacket is looking pretty close to the new design's jacket. It has a similar material, it comes down far enough, and it has the front pockets. The zipper flap would need to be removed and I can't do the tailoring myself, so I'd need to pay someone for that. It also needs a rear center vent, probably can be done by the tailor.

Luckily, the jacket is only $30 or so. This will make it easier to shell out for the tailoring, if it ends up needing it. Still not positive about this jacket, would like some more opinions. I would like the jacket to be longer still, it looks like a long field jacket. I'm not extraordinarily tall at 6'1", but I would like to maintain proportions as well as I can.

8SihJgn.png

The shoulders don't have the zippers as many soft shell jackets do (unfortunately) and the pockets are too big. The torso is too short. It might be as close as I can get.

Last edited:
Alright, so I think it's about time I work out the financing of this project, and maybe budget from there.

The vest has cost a total of: $8

Harbor Freight Foam Mat Set of 4: $8
Blue cotton blend: free from grandma

The mask has cost a total of: $23

Fiverr contract: $17
Plastic: $6
3D Printer: Thanks Santa

The rest will add up to around: $244.74

5 Yards 50mm 2" Satin Ribbon: $1.07
Knee High Boots (mk1): $56.67
Gloves: $32
Jacket: $32
Pants: $20
Belts: $8
Belt Boxes (printed): $6
Belt Box Electronics: $8

And that covers commercially available items I can buy. It will be cheaper to buy any of the above than to make myself (sans the 3D prints, of course. Only in that I have a printer, or else it would once again be cheaper to buy prints than to try to make myself).
That makes for a grand total of $275.74.

Now, that is a fat chunk of change. I could cut it down by buying second hand. I am a big time thrifter and would love to do that, but with the current situation, that is simply not feasible. Unfortunately, I don't think it's something I can deem worthy of pursuing financially at this time. I just lost my job due to COVID and am graduating in a week. It is a tumultuous time, you see. I must eat.

So, I think that will postpone the actual realization of this costume for many months. However, there is still the prototyping I need to do as far as the mask, helmet, and belt boxes. I am also working on a stun-stick, I'll post about it soon.

I want very badly to complete this outfit, but I refuse to give in to half-measures. I have done it before on an iconic character (Boba Fett— yeah, embarassing) and it looks like a cartoon costume. If I cannot do the original design justice, I will not do it at all.

lol guess I psyched myself out a bit there

Last edited:
i don't wanna pester but when will you be releasing the files for the vest? and by the way i love the progress on the costplay sure is 100% better than anything i could make.

i don't wanna pester but when will you be releasing the files for the vest? and by the way i love the progress on the costplay sure is 100% better than anything i could make.

Oh lemme go ahead and see what I've got!

Edit: Darn, I am having difficulty finding them. I guess I was waiting for a request, and in the meantime have lost them! I won't give up, though

Edit: Alright, I found them! I'm gonna just link the Drive folder. These are just images, if there was more interest in the vest templates I would have hopped on illustrator and done these right, but you're the only one who has asked about the vest templates. There is a lot of tweaking I would have liked to have done, and probably will do, but this project is on hold for the moment. I have been recently employed, however, so this will probably pick up soon!

theunfunnyguy Here's the Drive link

Last edited:
PROJECT'S BACK UP!

I secured a job, so I can spend a few bucks on hobbies again.

I got a jacket I think will work well with a few modifications. It has buttons and a button flap that will need to be removed, but it fits great and the material is good. Also, it was cheap! I'll try to see about getting a tailor to put a vent in the back, should help with the little "flair" the combine jacket has. I'll be posting more pics as things come in.

Just threw on some articles I had lying around to try to prototype how I'd like the outfit to look. I just got a pair of jackboots I hope will work, but they're a little goofy looking. Admittedly, the combine's jackboots are a little goofy looking, but I don't much care for too much goofy.
View attachment 1295874
Note: These are NOT the final pants!

That's as much as I'll show you, though. I don't think anyone would come back after seeing the monstrosity the prototype was. Not to worry, however. Things are coming together, albeit slowly. For the pants, I am planning a regular fitting, flat fronted pant, preferably in a twill or cotton.

Hey! I'm working on a similar project, lovig what you've done so far. How did you do these trousers? I'm trying to figure it out because they look great, but I can't tell what they were before you added the red stripe.

O
Hey! I'm working on a similar project, lovig what you've done so far. How did you do these trousers? I'm trying to figure it out because they look great, but I can't tell what they were before you added the red stripe.
Very cool, looking forward to your project!

For these pants, they’re dress slacks with a piece of ribbon sewn on. These were just place holder pants, though. I still want to use a little more “battle ready” style pants, something without a front crease.

I got new boots, the old boots were silly and chunky.

O

Very cool, looking forward to your project!

For these pants, they’re dress slacks with a piece of ribbon sewn on. These were just place holder pants, though. I still want to use a little more “battle ready” style pants, something without a front crease.

I got new boots, the old boots were silly and chunky.
Thanks!

Ah that makes sense. You might find a nice effect with oversized legs on a green tracksuit if you adjust the waist to fit afterwards. I was about to work on that but I found some great surplus officer's trousers after you replied.

Also, I totally get the boots. Weirdly enough, good jackboots are hard to come by. Paratrooper boots seem to work really well however.

Thanks!

Ah that makes sense. You might find a nice effect with oversized legs on a green tracksuit if you adjust the waist to fit afterwards. I was about to work on that but I found some great surplus officer's trousers after you replied.

Also, I totally get the boots. Weirdly enough, good jackboots are hard to come by. Paratrooper boots seem to work really well however.
Getting the right fabric drape on the pants is everything right now. Someone suggested blousing the pants, which I will absolutely do.

Paratrooper/miners boots aren’t bad, but that classic sleek design can’t be beat. That’s the battle, matching the game as closely as possible

Got the covid, so I’ve had a solid excuse to not leave my room for a week. I didn’t document most of it, but here’s the painting and assembly of the helmet.

Taped up the outside to keep it all in place while doing the magnets.

CBA604CC-879F-4549-9FDE-93EFA34C6597.jpeg

The magnets all in place, separated by the masking tape.
149A3376-ABA3-4980-BA4B-FCE1AC89A143.jpeg

The whole helmet painted and assembled. It was a rush job, it’s kinda now or never for this project.

E84FAE7D-2C2A-4593-8824-0FD049603217.jpeg

C7763B4F-93B5-4A40-B86C-221251BD64AB.jpeg

99263401-B6E6-4B3D-B648-53C7826AB89B.jpeg

D003D5C9-E881-493D-A7B9-CE50F193C38D.jpeg

And finally, a test fit with the vest. I’ll get someone else to take a pic soon.
9FE250CC-792B-4505-96D6-B9181E9488AF.jpeg

Can’t wait to finish this project! The belt boxes need a bit more detail, then the metal bits on the belt.

Stun stick really just needs paint.

Jacket needs the white shoulders, I’m thinking I’ll make little pauldrons filled with batting and velcro them to the inside of the vest and outside of the arm. Sorta like the shoulders on a mando flak vest.

Boots are coming along, trying to get better drape with them.

Pants need the white stripe added, still experimenting with different pairs to get the right drape. Might need to work out a new blousing method, thinking a metal band on the inside to fill out the leg. I’m a slim guy— the Combine are a pretty healthy size!

Gloves are good to go, got some perfect motorcycle gloves.

That’s it. I’m hoping the end is near, but the lower half of the body has me worried.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back