Utri

Hey all, short introduction.

I've always wanted to do a Metrocop build. Been a dream build of mine for a few years. I have pored over the various builds. There are eras to the Combine cosplay. Some incredible builds have been posted and they really inspired me to finally commit to one of my own. So, below begins my journey.

Here, I aim to build the most accurate to image look possible. I am basing most of my build on an HD remodeling of the original Metrocop. I am using the model and texture made by mb814. It's higher res and I prefer the look of this one, sans the laceup boots.
55e461d1f0565.jpg

More to come!

Edit:

By popular demand, the vest template, digitized

TL;DR:
625596BC-8C78-4859-90EB-DDCC753B57BD.jpeg
BA499704-7355-49AB-B608-32A3C8A9EA5A.jpeg
0D14FA3E-9123-4236-90A6-46146AB7E864.jpeg

81185D75-B7CE-4229-B1F0-7FA6DF69A10C.png

Last edited:
YJzawcF.jpg

The Helmet

Because my goal was absolute accuracy, I needed to make the helmet as close to scale as possible. I took the high res model by mb214 and decided to print it. I figured the whole helmet would be too large for my Ender 3, so I cut it in half.

48QvaDj.jpg

Hmm, not great. I printed a bust to see the whole thing.

RElhmxa.jpg

Yikes, that is not great. Too low poly, I needed to smooth this model.

The only software I know how to use is Sketchup, so I was basically impotent in this matter. I tried the 3D builder that's built into Windows nowadays to see if I could smooth in there, but no luck. So, I paid a Venezuelan girl on Fiverr $17 to do it. It turned out great.

RWBjFYT.jpg

I will likely print another one in the future when I learn how, but I wanted something quick. This will serve my needs as a prototype. Also, I printed it too narrow to wear. I hope to convert it into a vacuum forming buck.

Till next time

Last edited:
Very interested to follow the stitching portion of the build !

Funny you should mention that! I have some ideas regarding the vest, so i think the only stitching will be on the jacket and the pants.

The Vest

The first thing I did was a sketch of the vest, as seen above. This helped me think about the construction of it even deeper than I had been visualizing. I wanted to mimic the appearance of the game, I did not have to adhere to the in-game construction. I had been thinking for a while that building each block of the vest out of foam, then joining them together would be superior to just sewing over batting. The vest looks more like armor than it does a pillow.

I got to experimenting.

I started with the center.
VAebwwm.jpg

I used short pieces of cloth to join the cores in the back.
JmbVYux.jpg

Then a quick mockup.

jnMC04Y.jpg

Hmm, no. That won't do. Too flat and weird.

More updates soon.

Funny you should mention that! I have some ideas regarding the vest, so i think the only stitching will be on the jacket and the pants.

The Vest

The first thing I did was a sketch of the vest, as seen above. This helped me think about the construction of it even deeper than I had been visualizing. I wanted to mimic the appearance of the game, I did not have to adhere to the in-game construction. I had been thinking for a while that building each block of the vest out of foam, then joining them together would be superior to just sewing over batting. The vest looks more like armor than it does a pillow.

I got to experimenting.

I started with the center.
View attachment 983267

I used short pieces of cloth to join the cores in the back.
View attachment 983268

Then a quick mockup.

View attachment 983269

Hmm, no. That won't do. Too flat and weird.

More updates soon.

Looking at the vest it appears to be similar to a Flak vest.

Perhaps build it out of EVA foam so it retains the shape.

You would want the basic outline then it appears there is a leather strap for access under one of the arms. (I would add a zip in just for safety then hide it with the leather strap)

Then cover this in fabric and add your zip and strap.

Then mock out the shapes of the "Tiles" and cover them in batting (not on the sides obviously). Once you have all your shapes covered in batting you stretch fabric over them individually. You secure this at the back of the tiles (No need for stitching).

Then simply add your "Tiles" to the Eva vest leaving the gaps as seen on the front of the vest.

That would be the simplest way of doing it. Otherwise you might have to stitch a puffer jacket which would be a nightmare.

Right, so everything you just said is pretty much what I said above. I’m glad I explained my process well, you appear to understand exactly what I plan to do.

As you said, I am avoiding sewing through large amounts of batting. This is not because it would be difficult— I do not shy from my Singer. It would simply not offer the appearance I want.

Thanks for your suggestion!

Right, so everything you just said is pretty much what I said above. I’m glad I explained my process well, you appear to understand exactly what I plan to do.

As you said, I am avoiding sewing through large amounts of batting. This is not because it would be difficult— I do not shy from my Singer. It would simply not offer the appearance I want.

Thanks for your suggestion!

I think i just repeated the same thing you were thinking back to you !

Loving this build !

I forgot about the cloth for a bit and just focused on completing the foam pieces of the vest. I'd worry about the wrap later. It is upside down because I am a scumbag.
o2jeO28.jpg

Then I glued a strip of cloth between each seam on these.

3j2ECsk.jpg

rIWTB9Q.jpg

Shaping up!

There are a lot of pieces!

60kwkv5.jpg

More to come!

I kept building and ended up with this.
INP2Ck3.jpg

I was liking how it was shaping up. I ended up eyeballing the collar. It's not quite there, in the model it flares out quite a bit while mine is straight.

zi88qYe.jpg

Quick test fit. I am digging this.
LctTf0v.jpg

Then, I tore it all apart and took a picture of each piece on the mat so I could digitize them as templates. I'll upload the finished templates when I'm done digitizing them. Or, I can upload the raw images if someone asks for them.

But, I couldn't help but keep going with my prototype.

I frequent my apartment's dumpster. It's a treasure trove, really. It's right next to a college, so all my fellow students throw away really good stuff all the time. At the time of writing this, there are two great condition leather couches out there.

So, I grabbed a chair from there and pulled out the upholstery foam and got to wrapping.

GcDOpUP.jpg

So far, so good. This is the aesthetic I was going for. Let's see how it progresses.

i6PQKNb.jpg

I'm liking this so far. The cloth I used is just spare, cheap cloth I have. It is not meant to be the final cloth.

vHeoeGU.jpg

Looking pretty good to me.

The collar was tricky, but it turned out alright.
RKcFVFF.jpg

And it fits perfectly. That was a bit lucky, since I completely forgot to measure against myself. I only scaled it by eye to the model image. I compared the front chest box width to the helmet width. Since I had the helmet, I could do the same.

0WxiRzP.jpg

This is where I am now. I plan to print stun stick parts and a USP compensator. I have begun plans on the underjacket. For pants, I have a pair of green Proper pants that I may sew a white strip to. For boots, I am still searching. Utmost accuracy is the absolute key in this build.

Please comment your critiques, concerns, and suggestions!

Ah, one of my favourite games (I did a Lamarr Headcrab/Dr. Kleiner cosplay a while back). I nearly did the metrocop one year. I'm definitely interested to see how this goes - lookin' good!
I'd suggest using an airbrush to highlight all the gaps in the fabric covered armour. Also, you found some really good reference images.

you found some really good reference images.

Thanks! I’m pretty much exclusively working off the render by mb814, I did the sketches which helped my understanding of the construction.

I’ll see how far I can go with this prototype vest, but I plan to make another with proper fabric and more exact measurements. So far, pretty much the entire thing has been eyeballed.

Perhaps its the red shirt, but all I see is "Look this poindexter thinks he's going to drown!" (BTTF)

Great project so far.

So has this project stopped or?

Weird that I decided to log into the RPF for the first time in months the same day someone responds to my post...

Not dead, just on hold. The project has been circling in my head the whole time, the plan at this point is to resume after the semester ends. Perfect time to get all my old projects knocked out, seeing as there is going to be literally nothing else to do (except video games which I have to actively avoid if I want to get anything done. Generation Zero has its claws deep in me).

So no, short answer. No, not dead. I have a new helmet I have been working on and am working with an artist to refine the helmet and various other parts for real-world use. I have some experience vacuum-forming, I'd like to ultimately go that route to make the helmets a) cheap and rugged and b) make the helmets accessible to anyone who wants one for a very, very reasonable price.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back