Half Life 2 civil protection WIP build - starting the uniform (Page 6)

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Rubber Slug, Jan 29, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Rubber Slug

Rubber Slug Active Member

So far I'm primarily working on the helmet. I decompiled the in-game model and edited it to make it more suitable for making and wearing, then made a pep file from that. I put together the pep, resined it, glassed it, put rondo on the inside and smoothed out the outside with bondo (and ended up doing quite a bit of reshaping in certain areas as well).

Here's where I am right now, the thing is basically done and primed, ready to be painted and have additional parts added (filters on the front and other greeblies on the back of the head).

[​IMG]

Here's the in-game model: http://i.imgur.com/oIRTkec.jpg

Some people expressed an interest in copies of the helmet. I'm considering it, but I want to know if it's safe for the master copy to create a mold if it's already fully painted. From what I've seen, molds are usually made from clay sculptures, or pepped objects that are only primed--not painted. Basically I want to continue working on what I have so far and read up on molding and casting in the meantime, but if making a mold could risk damaging the original or its paintjob in some way, I'd want to make the mold and casts first.
    To sum up: is there any possibility of harming the (fully painted) master copy in the process of making a mold?

Thanks for reading! You are all an inspiration!

Utri likes this.
  2. Robmcn

Robmcn New Member

Re: Half Life 2 civil protection WIP build - first costume, have questions

That's awesome..always thought it was a cool design. Got any more pics?

3. NormanF

NormanF Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I have made a mold of something painted with automobile paint without any problems. I do not know how the paint you plan to use will hold up. You could do a test by making something small out of the same material, paint it with the same paint as the mask, and them make a mold of that.

Sent from my Etch-A-Sketch

4. Diegator

Diegator Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yes, I've primed and painted and then molded with no problems. The paint turned yellow-ish in some areas, but you can just re-coat it.
    Also: want! I was planning on making this helmet after my current build, but since you've already done the hard work, I won't mind getting a pull instead :D let me know if you put up a JY thread.

5. msleeper

msleeper Sr Member

Definitely on my list! Do you have the back half built already? I'd love to see some WIP shots.

6. Rubber Slug

Thanks for the interest and words of advice! I took a bit of a hiatus with the beginning of school, to make sure I hit the ground running, but now I've made a little progress. Specifically, I've started working on the back end.

http://i.imgur.com/cw3nkso.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/z2NskLh.jpg

Msleeper, since I see you have experience with laser cut pieces, do you think that would be a good way to go for the "ears" on the side of the collar as seen in the reference? It's a really complicated little shape, so I was thinking I might try to get them 3D printed. Your gravity gun pieces look pretty similar, though a bit bigger, and that got me wondering.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  7. msleeper

msleeper Sr Member

Without any other reference as to the depth of the ear pucks, what I would do is build the cylinder piece (without out the top detailed part) to be apart of the actual helmet. Once you cast the part, put down 2 layers of laser cut acrylic: the top part with the details, and the under part out of clear where you can put lighting in. That's assuming you want to light the piece.

Again without better reference shots, I don't think 3D printing it would be the best route. But it all depends on what you want to do there entirely.

8. Rubber Slug

Here are the two best references I have at the moment.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I like that idea a lot. How expensive is laser cutting?

9. msleeper

msleeper Sr Member

It's hard to tell how much it's supposed to be beveled along the edge. That material file is great, you could literally just trace off of that to design your laser cutting vectors. Assuming you don't decide to make the edge beveled then it should be super simple to put together.

To me it looks like the center detail is supposed to be standing off of the center green area, and that would be flush with the rest of the puck. And then the little nub on the front is covering both. Is that making sense?

Laser cutting is a lot cheaper than you'd think, getting just a couple of pieces like this done would be maybe $20 from Ponoko.com. It all depends on the size and complexity of the vectors though.

10. Rubber Slug

Awesome. I definitely see what you mean about the bevel complicating things a little bit, but I might be able to figure something out. Looks like laser cutting is the way to go, since I wasn't really looking forward to creating a high resolution model of the ear puck for 3D printing anyway.

And yeah, the ease with which you can access HL2's art files is really invaluable for a project like this.

11. msleeper

msleeper Sr Member

Sometimes! Materials can still be useful, but looking at the 3D models it really is obvious. I mean, look at the Gravity Gun, I had to remodel the entire thing just to figure out what I even had to make. The Metrocop/Civil Protection helmet benefits because it's full of sharp edges, but something like the pulse rifle? Forget it, the models are WAY too low fidelity. It's really sad to think that the game is 9 years old.

If it were me, I would take the artistic liberty of deciding to do the puck with a sharp edge rather than a bevel. Or sculpt the bevel the way you've done the rest of the helmet, and leave the flat part in the middle inset, where the laser cut pieces will go into.

12. Rubber Slug

I was thinking I would do something like that, with a three-piece puck where it's the flat, laser cut bit on top, bevel, then the cylinder.

And has anyone ever attempted an AR2 build? I'd love to see one of those in real life!

13. Diegator

Do you have the bump map for that piece? It might shed some insight as to how raised those details are suppsoed to be.

14. msleeper

msleeper Sr Member

Yeah a normal map would help build the vectors for it too.

Regarding the AR2, it's actually the next on my list of things to do after the Gravity Gun gets finished up. There was a build here a few years ago that was absolutely gorgeous, the builder was going to do a JY run but then some film company purchased the master.

15. Diegator

Oh man, i'd be really excited to do a group cosplay with 3+ CP officers. Would either of you be down for that? So if Rubber Slug is making the helmet and msleeper the AR2... I can make the vests?

16. msleeper

msleeper Sr Member

Honestly, my goal is to work up to do a very specific Elite. But I would not complain at all if I had two Metrocops with me. ;)

Diegator, if you are interested in doing a sculpt/cast of the Elite helmet, or even doing the soft parts (the vest, and modding the shirt and pants) I would 100% be down for doing a trade for an AR2 cast.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
    Utri likes this.
  17. Diegator

18. msleeper

msleeper Sr Member

HDR rendering is fun. ;)

19. Rubber Slug

Unfortunately, the metro cop has no normal map. Diffuse all the way.

I'd totally be down to group up if we could organize that. I plan to make the whole suit myself, including the vest, but I'd be happy to sell you guys helmets. And by the way Diegator, I love your cyborg ninja mask. It seems like perfect practice for an elite, haha! Also, I was amazed you got such clean cuts from a dremel, because I kept making my lines wobbly. I ended up doing everything with a file instead.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  20. msleeper

msleeper Sr Member

Depending on price I would almost certainly be 100% interested in getting a helmet from you. The Metrocops are my least favorite of the Combine troops but by no means do I dislike them. My goal is to have my Elites ready for Dragon*Con 2013, barring any unforseen disasters I should hopefully meet that goal. And I would absolutely love to roll as a group.

21. Rubber Slug

I finished tracing out the ear pieces in Illustrator. Now I have to look into laser cutting compared to 3d printing, which is also an attractive option.

[​IMG]

I guess it really only makes sense to do the laser cutting option, since I need the green piece to be separate and translucent.

In other news:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I still have to add the band around the middle of the helmet with the little clip things: http://i.imgur.com/oIRTkec.jpg

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
    Utri and boodha like this.
  22. msleeper

msleeper Sr Member

God * dude, that is gorgeous. :love

I've started working on the AR2 files. I had the bright idea of integrating an AR-15 lower receiver into my 3D model to help give it a realistic look.

[​IMG]

This should be an interesting next couple of months for me.

Utri likes this.
  23. Diegator

that looks really good!

24. Rubber Slug

Can't wait to see more of that AR2!

So with the helmet nearing completion (as far as shape goes. I still plan to mold and cast it) I've started looking at materials for the vest. Taking some inspiration from the Judge Dredd forum, I was checking out mesh materials, and I found something that seems pretty close to perfect: Auto and Marine Fabric, Tops and Trim - Outdoor and Contract Fabric

It's really expensive, however, as you can see.

I also added a bunch of reference pictures of the CP to the Half Life gallery since it was empty: Half-Life - the RPF Gallery

The cop's vest seems like a dark gray, rather than black, but it seems that dark gray mesh is much harder to find cheap than black mesh. I was also noticing how much harder it seems to be to find these mesh materials in America--all the good links are to UK stores. :/

If you have any advice as far as materials go, I'd certainly appreciate it.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  25. TMBountyHunter

TMBountyHunter Active Member

Hooray for more enemy grunt builds! Heroes get too much attention anyway.

Looking forward to how these builds turn out. I actually started on an Elite costume last year but only got to a rough stage before winter kicked in and took my workspace away. Now it's warming up so I dug it out only a few days ago and hit it with primer to get a fresh perspective before getting back to work. Intent is to have the costume ready for a con at the end of May.

[​IMG]

Utri likes this.
  26. msleeper

msleeper Sr Member

Dude that looks awesome! Was it all free hand or did you base it off of a pep? I have yet to start my Elite helmet, I was planning on remodeling it and having it CNC'd but I can't find anyone who is reliable with a large enough machine, and my personal CNC project is not far enough along.

27. TMBountyHunter

Thanks! It's resin coated pep. Unmodified in-game model other than the eye and breather detail removed because they seemed to be easier to do without pep.

It was my first time trying pepakura and many things went horribly wrong, so what you see is the 3rd attempt....

Hopefully I can get a progress thread up in a week or two.

28. msleeper

msleeper Sr Member

You wouldn't happen to have that pep file around, would you? I tried unfolding my own but there are like 6 billion tabs and it bored me to tears.

29. TMBountyHunter

My unfolding attempt is probably a horrible mess, but here it is anyway.

I only did half the helmet then mirrored it for printing the other side and apperently saved over the previous half because I can't find it now.

30. msleeper

msleeper Sr Member

[​IMG]

31. Rubber Slug

Well, I decided I am going to have the ear thing 3D printed, but I'm still gonna get the green glowing disc as a separate piece, probably lasercut acrylic? Here's what I'm gonna have printed:
    [​IMG]

32. TMBountyHunter

Can't wait to see that make its way into the physical world. Gonna be awesome.

33. msleeper

msleeper Sr Member

That looks totally awesome. You could mold and cast that part without the green area, and then get the green part (what I'm assuming is supposed to be the glowing section?) laser cut so you can put lighting in it. That would look amazing.

34. alx0298

alx0298 New Member

Hey all. I'm also doing this build, I just started working on my mask, but it looks like you totally nailed it. Have you made a mold of it yet? I could be interested in purchasing a copy, I eventually want to cast in nylon and use it as a welding mask.

35. Rubber Slug

Thanks! Unfortunately I have not made a mold yet. It's nearly done, with just 1 or 2 main details missing and a few other finishing touches, however. My current plan is to finish it up, getting it nice and spiffy looking, then create an interest thread in the JunkYard and try to estimate how much molding and casting supplies I can afford to buy. I might also need to make a quick mock-up of the collar that goes around the base of the mask (and the 2 filters as well) because, to be honest, it looks pretty weird without those things.

36. msleeper

msleeper Sr Member

I am just going to go ahead and say that, depending on price, I am one hundred and ten percent interested in a cast. I don't know if you're still interested in doing a trade for my AR2 (whenever that gets finished) but I'm down for that as well.

37. Diegator

Yes.. I know this isn't an interest thread, but you have my money in advance... also, chances are you can amortize the cost of materials within your first 2 casts.

38. Rubber Slug

Thanks for the enthusiasm haha! And yeah, I'm hoping so, but if enough people want a copy I want to know how many buckets of smoothcast or whatever I'll have to buy. This is also my first try at anything like this so I have to leave room for screwups. :p

39. msleeper

msleeper Sr Member

I am far from an expert on the subject, but after just having completed (and thoroughly failed) making a jacket mold like you would for a helmet... Buy way more silicone than you think you will need, and when you think you have enough put on the master, put some more on there.

Also, splurge on getting the thinner and thickener agents, they are super helpful.

Also also, no promises (I need to check with my friend) but I may be down for 2 pulls.

40. The Schlitzie

The Schlitzie Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I must have a metrocop! Did anyone ever get one of Tactonyx's AR2 kits?

You must let us know if you open a JY thread for these. (y)cool

41. msleeper

msleeper Sr Member

Last I heard he sold the masters to some fan film production company and we won't be getting casts from them. Though, frankly, I thought his price was pretty outrageous.

42. The Schlitzie

The Schlitzie Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yeah, I just remembered some of the build thread. Good to see Half-Life getting some love lately.

I have a pep file for this helmet, but my pep skills are mediocre at best,and there's no way I'd be able to make something as clean looking as this baby. :devil

43. alx0298

alx0298 New Member

I'm transfering this conversation over to your post so it's all in one place

Actually I'm doing a clay mold first, I'm not super familiar with pepakura. I'm just dimensioning the **** out of it and molding it by eye. I just want it to look natural and be sized to my head. I'm still barely into it honestly. I don't see myself coming up with a helmet for a month. Sooooo if you making copies, it would def save me some time :)

btw I would only need the front of the mask without the filters. I'm planning on using modified "real" filters and molding all those metal parts out of aluminum (the ear piece, the back of the head, and the part around the mask)

you know getting into this project. I'm thinking that maybe we should collab more because even if I make the absolute most accurate cp I can, and you do the same, they're gonna look different. And one thing that makes cp so cool is they all look the same. So, I think we, (me and you rubber slug, and whoever the hell else is interested) should collab! just a thought

44. Rubber Slug

I'd love to collaborate with you guys! I really love the challenge of building the entire costume, though (at least so far--I haven't even finished the helmet haha). I'd be totally down for figuring out the optimal ways of doing stuff/locating materials and pre-fab items, etc.

For the rest of the uniform, excluding the vest which I will make from scratch, I bought these items:
    2x black pistol belt
    1 pair of black leather gauntlets
    1 pair of black costume boots (these turned out not to be the ones pictured, and not that good looking, but they are the only appropriate boots I could find that aren't hundreds of dollars)
    1 pair of green pants (these are slightly bluer than they appear in the picture and are quite baggy in the legs, so I will likely have to make alterations)

I also bought this ski goggle replacement lens for the eyes, but it might be easier to just find some cheapo clear plastic and dye it yourself.

45. msleeper

msleeper Sr Member

You might want to look into military BDUs and modifying those.

46. AlbinoGlowStick

AlbinoGlowStick New Member

Think all you really need now is a black jacket, and white fabric to make the trim.

47. Rubber Slug

There's a two- or three-layer top, actually. Looks like some kind of black vinyl tunic beneath a puffy dark gray vest and thick black sleeves. I think the whole top might have to be made from scratch.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qeg5xonaswlqfhh/gm_construct0044.jpg

Looks like it's gonna be hot as hell. :/

48. AlbinoGlowStick

AlbinoGlowStick New Member

My crew just used black raincoats and I feel they turned out fine.

49. alx0298

alx0298 New Member

Since when was "fine" ever good enough?

I'm with rubber slug here, I'm making mine from scratch.

Update on my build, I'm making a video timelapse of my work, I want to see how it comes out first before I post it though.

50. Rubber Slug

That's awesome alx, can't wait to see it. And yeah, something like a raincoat would do in a pinch if I was trying to rush this to a convention, but I'm perfectly happy to take the extra time to make it as close as I can.