HAL/SAL 9000 Lens options

See to me that seems a bit weird because that means the glass lens will be underneath the lip which was originally intended to be a "shelf" for the plastic lens to sit on. To me it seems like example 1 would be the better way to do it.
Hmm

As someone who took a chance and did it, I recommend door #2 (though slightly lower). That will allow the dome of the glass, as it rises beyond the lens holder, to hide the cut, and to allow for some more material to press the glass into. I’d say more like half-way down into the “velodrome” rather than only 1/3.

I was a bit stressed about messing it up, but figured worst case would be I’d have to buy another kit.

img_9488-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
I'm probably going to make prints available via Shapeways. Doing some tests now. I've managed to emulate the look of the original engraved letters pretty closely, based on photos of the actual lenses. Rather than using a font. (the Moebius approach) So I want to see how those look printed.
Will it be sized to fit the glass ebay lens?

I'm probably going to make prints available via Shapeways. Doing some tests now. I've managed to emulate the look of the original engraved letters pretty closely, based on photos of the actual lenses. Rather than using a font. (the Moebius approach) So I want to see how those look printed.
Count me in as interested.

The lettering just took ages. I created vector art of the original hand engraving based on a bunch of photos and scans (Prokopiak, Rockwell), and then had to apply the freakin' lettering one letter at a time, wrapping it around the lens barrel cylinder!

I'm also working on multiple versions. I don't have a Moebius kit, but I'm looking to make a couple versions compatible with the Moebius product, and one that can use the glass lens sold on eBay.

Anyway. The idea is to get as close to a real Nikon lens as I can, given the limitations of 3D plastic printing. Since what joberg says. Looks like the cheapest is around £1000-$1300 USD.

Question of opinion: one of the errors in the Moebius HAL faceplate design is that the bottom of the aluminium ring isn't low enough. The only way to fix this is to make the hole in the black plate bigger - to about 95mm from 80mm or so. How many people are willing to do that?

Right now I've been working on both a drop-in design with various compromises, and a "needs a bigger hole" design that will require more work.

Last edited:
Question of opinion: one of the errors in the Moebius HAL faceplate design is that the bottom of the aluminium ring isn't low enough. The only way to fix this is to make the hole in the black plate bigger - to about 95mm from 80mm or so. How many people are willing to do that?

Right now I've been working on both a drop-in design with various compromises, and a "needs a bigger hole" design that will require more work.
Planning on making my own faceplate anyway, so I'd definitely be in "needs a bigger hole" camp if it means better accuracy.

As someone who took a chance and did it, I recommend door #2 (though slightly lower). That will allow the dome of the glass, as it rises beyond the lens holder, to hide the cut, and to allow for some more material to press the glass into. I’d say more like half-way down into the “velodrome” rather than only 1/3.

I was a bit stressed about messing it up, but figured worst case would be I’d have to buy another kit.
So like the pink here? Or the cyan?

img_9488-jpg.jpg

Very interesting...`cause an original Nikkor costs an arm, a leg and a kidneyo_O
I have 2 of the Artifactory/SD reproduction lens from eBay. Not an original. But supposedly they're identical proportations and it's optical grade glass.
I don't have a Moebius kit, but I'm looking to make a couple versions compatible with the Moebius product, and one that can use the glass lens sold on eBay.
I have a micrometer and two Moebius kits. If you need help let me know.

Myself I'm hoping to cut out and replace the existing faceplate with either a brushed aluminum sheet or a sheet of vinyl wrapped styrene.
Either route I will need a hole created from scratch since they don't have one to begin with.

I have 2 of the Artifactory/SD reproduction lens from eBay. Not an original. But supposedly they're identical proportations and it's optical grade glass.

They're close. The outer diameter is larger than a real Nikon, though, since they were designed differently. This causes issues for a 3D printed lens barrel, which can't be printed as thin as a machined metal ring.

They're close. The outer diameter is larger than a real Nikon, though, since they were designed differently. This causes issues for a 3D printed lens barrel, which can't be printed as thin as a machined metal ring.
Unless someone here could do a machined ring...but not everyone can do that and at a fair price also;)

Maybe I should fix that 9 a bit...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-25 at 19.55.30.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-25 at 19.55.30.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 111
So to any of you who don’t end up using your outer “aluminum” ring from the Möbius kit, please let me know if you’d be interested in selling it for a nominal fee. I was thinking it might be worth shaving down the top surface until it is flat (I.e. remove the outer “lip”). Not sure I want to try that on mine or buy a whole extra kit to “experiment”.

So to any of you who don’t end up using your outer “aluminum” ring from the Möbius kit, please let me know if you’d be interested in selling it for a nominal fee.
I have a couple requests for quotes out to get an aluminum ones made. IF it works out I’ll have 2 plastic ones I won’t need. I’d throw ‘em at you for the price of shipping + $5 for my time.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back