"HAL Project" website has disappeared?

tmdav575

I'm sure many of you are familiar with the www.halproject.com website, and its amazing screensaver that were available for download. Unfortunately, the web site seems to have been taken down. Does anybody know why, or if it will be coming back? Or, does anyone have copies of the latest versions of the screensavers they might be able to share?

This was truly a fantastic site, and I'd hate to see it simply disappear.

Thanks in advance...

I think I might be able to help with at least the basic screen saver version.

No idea how to share it though.

Edit: does this work?

Attachments

• The-HAL-9000-Screensaver-Basic-Edition-[Console]-PC.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 2,758
Thanks very much carbonitekid...I will check it out!

Does anyone else have any information about what happened to the HAL Project website?
The domain registration expired on the 6th. At first I was thinking he didn't pay the bill or something happened to him, but some searching around makes me think there was a hard core cease and desist of some sort. There is an "unofficial" facebook page that says the site was taken down along with YouTube channel and Twitter account. Web archive says the site has been excluded, which makes it sound like the response to a legal threat. I really hope that does not mean some idiot at MGM said, "Hey, let's remake this classic!".

https://www.facebook.com/TheHalProject/posts/929763327130888

https://web.archive.org/web/http://www.halproject.com

Thanks Norman. I had noticed the site was on Web Archive for a little while, but is now "excluded". I fear you may be correct, that some sort of legal/copyright action is involved.

They could not possibly remake the film ever. That would be like remaking the original Star Wars.

I wonder if this could mean the talked about 3001 TV series might be finally getting the go ahead?

Either way, bad form the HAL Project being shut down.

I had thought about buying that screensaver, but I seldom leave my computer unattended long enough to need a screensaver. I have it turned off if I'm not using it.

If they are going ahead with the 3001 series, I hope they don't screw with it to much, like the way they did The Andromeda Strain...

Trust me....if you have multiple monitors hooked up to your PC (or Mac!), the HAL Project screensaver looks WAY cool...

thehalproject was run by Joe Mackenzie. Not sure what happened - the last update I have from him was 06/25/15 with an update for a new wallpaper pack. No communication since. I supported this project and was really sorry to see it go. I've emailed Joe and if I get a reply I'll update it here.

There is a new website that includes screensavers and wallpapers called http://www.thehal9000.com/ (the contact link goes to mike@thehal9000.com so i don't think this is the same content). It has both a console and monitor version screensavers. I have not done any kind of comparison other than to note that the monitor version of the screensaver uses square displays (not full screen) and the multi-display support does not appear to work. Check it out as an alternative and hopefully it will develop as thehalproject did.

I just remembered I still have the full screen version on my old notebook. (Not the installer, but all the files. I just tested it on my new computer and it works fine.) Hope I'm not too late?
Just extract the ZIP file to your local drive (usually C:) and let Windows merge all folders.

View attachment extract_to_C.zip

Last edited:
The Hal 9000 project MAY have been shut down because The Master Replicas Group either bought out - or stole - the idea for something they are hoping to make money off of: a complete knock-off of the work created by the now-moribund Hal Project website - and it doesn't look as good as what the Hal Project once offered.

MRG have the license for selling 2001 related products which, I suspect, the HAL Project didn't. It wouldn't surprise me if that's the reason for the site going down. I'm lucky enough to have the advanced version of both the console and full screen version of the HAL Project screensavers and they are superb.

MRG have the license for selling 2001 related products which, I suspect, the HAL Project didn't. It wouldn't surprise me if that's the reason for the site going down. I'm lucky enough to have the advanced version of both the console and full screen version of the HAL Project screensavers and they are superb.

I have the basic version of both, I really wanted to buy the advanced version but I guess I was too late. I don't suppose you'd be willing to share the files for the advanced version?

Lucky indeed, Sc0tty. My advanced version broke and I was just thinking about getting it squared away. Timing is, as they say, everything... :-/

I just remembered I still have the full screen version on my old notebook. (Not the installer, but all the files. I just tested it on my new computer and it works fine.) Hope I'm not too late?
Just extract the ZIP file to your local drive (usually C:) and let Windows merge all folders.

View attachment 711451
I bought Joes excellent screensaver way back, and still use it to this day. I also bought the Hall 9000 wallpaper pack he sold, but seem to have lost it. Don't suppose anyone whould know where I could get that again??

PB

Last edited:
Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?
giphy.gif

FYI - Flash based screensaver and December is when Flash is no longer supported by Adobe. On OSX you can only download Flash using Chrome or Firefox and on newer OSX versions you will have to disable SIPS to get HAL (flash) working within the OS/FInder.

Looks like there may be something on the event horizon planned for HAL.... The HAL Project

Cheers!

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back