Hal brain room key

Pic for reference.

HAL-R1.jpg

Doug

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing: drum key. The design of the "t" looks like it's custom...I don't see anything resembling that on eBay.

I know there is some doubt about whether that is the actual "key". I remember reading in some thread that it didn't match the screen used, but I can't find that thread. I guess we need a screen cap or caps to be sure. Anyone able to do so?

BTW, the bunny is safe -- for now. :angry :lol

Doug

Here are some screencaps. The prop above does look like the real screenused key, on DVD anyway. (Haven't bought the Bluray yet.)

CI-121890958430197403.jpg

CI-117262958430197403.jpg

CI-61632958430197403.jpg

CI-47802958430197403.jpg

CI-11959958430197403.jpg

Of course, if someone's going to make the logic memory center door key, wouldn't it also be cool to have the accompanying memory module deactivation key?

CI37865041630197404.jpg

CI110241041630197404.jpg

CI138633041630197404.jpg

You know, watching this scene again was surprisingly painful. So sad. Yes, HAL was a homicidal megalomaniac computer, but it wasn't his fault he turned out bad, now was it?

Here are some caps from the Bluray, not that they help much.

And the memory key, lots of detail on the tip. I can't tell if the red markings are detail or just reflections.

And this, just 'cause it's cool :cool

Doug,

To your original question as to the key being a found item, I suspect (with nothing to back it up) that the key was made but possibly based on a found item. My reason being that so much money and time was spent on the movie to get everything exact, why cut corners? Sure it is a small item but it gets some serious screen time. Nothing I've read about the making of the movie suggests Kubrick was too concerned about time or money being short.

Let the search and discussion continue. Either it is a found item or like I suggested, based on something found. But it would be great to nail a replica one way or the other.

Ted.

Last edited:
Doug,

To your original question as to the key being a found item, I suspect (with nothing to back it up) that the key was made but possibly based on a found item. My reason being that so much money and time was spent on the movie to get everything exact, why cut corners? Sure it is a small item but it gets some serious screen time. Nothing I've read about the making of the movie suggests Kubrick was too concerned about time or money being short.

Let the search and discussion continue. Either it is a found item or like I suggested, based on something found. But it would be great to nail a replica one way or the other.

Ted.

Yeah, I'd be willing to put money on made for the movie too.

I'm in for a replica as well. Seems like it'd be fairly easy as a two piece project.

Doug

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back