Hal 9000 Panel

Valor

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm building my second Hal 9000 panel. My goal is to closely follow details from this excellent thread:
HAL 9000 Panel (2001:A Space Odyssey) - pg.5 final Update

I'm building the body out of mdf this time. I've bored out the back to accept the battery and switch assembly I'll be installing later.
body.jpgnakebody.jpgIMG_8740.jpg

For the lens assembly I printed out this file: HAL 9000 Prop modified to use a 37mm fisheye lens by SoulkeepHL
and used this lens which should be a great match for the more expensive NIKOR lens.
Amazon.com : Neewer 37MM 0.3X HD Ultra Fisheye Lens for Sony DCR Cameras, such as SR37, SR38, TRV11, CX360, HC3, PJ10, UX10 and HXR-MC1 Digital Video Camcorders : Camcorder Lenses : Camera & Photo.
lensbought.jpg

For the Speaker plate I printed out this excellent file. I have a PLA printer so you see some lines that you wouldn't with a higher end printer.But it looks good enough for now.
HAL 9000 speaker grille by mabbog
speaker.jpg

I forgot how finicky getting all the metal trim to be perfect it. Those corners are tricky.
trim.jpgtrim2.jpgtrimon.jpg

The face of Hal will have an aluminum plate to even out the surface. Cut by hand them glued to the body.
Metal face.jpgmetalfaceglued.jpg

My previous Hal had a black painted aluminum front that I brushed lines into with a scotchbrite pad. This time I wanted something a bit more accurate looking. After giving up trying to get a sample of actual black anodized brushed aluminum, I found a number of adhesive vinyl that looked really good. After buying a few I found these two to be most accurate. I'll be attaching that later in the process.
vinyl1.jpgvinyl2.jpg

All for now. Stay tuned.
metalfaceon.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah. Good idea. But not the right look. It’s been confirmed the Hal had brushed anodized aluminum. I tried to mimic this with paint but wasn’t happy. I’m not sure aluminum black would be much different.

Last edited:
Still waiting for the lens ... which is apparently on the slow boat from ... Jersey.

In the mean time I drilled and countersunk all the metal trim pieces and installed them not the main body.

I also fitted the back panel and wired up the pressure switch. I'm not certain if the lens will create the "Red Eye" with a clear LED, or if I'll need to use a red LED. So for now I'm not attaching one.

I also printed out the front HALL9000 label.

Overall this has been a perfect little Holiday project to keep me busy.

IMG_8772.jpgIMG_8790.jpgIMG_8783.jpgIMG_8782.jpg

Still waiting for the lens ... which is apparently on the slow boat from ... Jersey.

In the mean time I drilled and countersunk all the metal trim pieces and installed them not the main body.

I also fitted the back panel and wired up the pressure switch. I'm not certain if the lens will create the "Red Eye" with a clear LED, or if I'll need to use a red LED. So for now I'm not attaching one.

I also printed out the front HALL9000 label.

Overall this has been a perfect little Holiday project to keep me busy.

View attachment 782865View attachment 782864View attachment 782863View attachment 782862

Looks amazing. Great job!

Okay, after waiting weeks to get a fish eye lens to finish off Hal, I'm super disappointed.

I was unable to find the Neewer lens, that lens appears to no longer be available. It seemed this lens was close if not identical, (and twice as much) so I ordered one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0020LGLNW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But when I place my LED in the back the lens reduces the size of it to a TINY dot.

IMG_8859.jpgIMG_8852.jpg

It just doesn't look like Hal!

I'm so bummed and not sure what to try next I could go back to building the lens with acrylic globes like I did my original ... I was just real excited to have an actual lens.

Damn.

Awesome job so far! What if you put a large diffuser in front of the LED to make it larger, this could be a round plastic piece that was scuffed with fine sandpaper. That would give you a larger appearing spot to start with, it would also be brighter in the center, but maybe the lens would do that anyway.

Yeah, I just shipped the lens back. Kinda crushed about it, but I'll be going back to the 3-D printed and acrylic globe solution. Stay tuned.

(bummer) I was awaiting to see how it all worked out.

I hope you can find an alternate solution to 3D printing... everything looks so good so far.. I'd hate for it 'tale away/detract' from the rest of the build/details.

Alright. I'm back to the to the tried and true. A 3-D print of the lens body, and some acrylic hemispheres that I cut the two lens pieces out of. I'm going to tweak, polish and glue the pieces together. But I did a quick dry fit tonight.

IMG_8863.jpgIMG_8864.jpgIMG_8865.jpg

That lens bit does sound frustrating, but I've gotta say, it looks fantastic. Really nice work. You'll have to update us if you ever fin a lens solution you really like.

Very good build! Yes, the lens on that prop is defo the big challenge, but if you don't like it, I have the perfect place to put it up:D

YES!! Okay, found something for the lenses that I'm really happy with. The outer lens is still a piece of acrylic dome. The inner sense is actually a lens from a dollar store flashlight. What I love about it is the thick convex dome on the from. This amplifies and distorts the LED beneath. It really captures the eerie look of the original.

So, yeah. Done. And happy [emoji4]

IMG_8907.jpgIMG_8914.jpgIMG_8910.jpgIMG_8908.jpgIMG_8912.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back