Hal 9000: My Amazon Alexa Connected Model

agliarept

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi,

After the recent disappointment from a failed kickstarter, I decided to challenge myself to make an interactive Hal 9000 model. Using the new Moebius Models kit, i taught myself how to build a little audio reactive led circuit. Connected the finished model to my Echo dot and Wired it to a usb adapter so no batteries.

The led eye's always on (dimmable) and intensifies whenever Alexa is talking. A fun positive project that came out of being scammed by Master Replicas Group.

Enjoy,

That is very, very cool! Does the audio meter react to all audio or just the Alexa audio? I might have the model kit in my Amazon cart as we speak hah.

That is very, very cool! Does the audio meter react to all audio or just the Alexa audio? I might have the model kit in my Amazon cart as we speak hah.

Awesome, that's where I bought mine as well. And it reacts to any source audio it's connected to. I just used a stereo splitter on the Echo dot, one going to speak and one going into Hal.

I wish the Alexa platform would allow for changing to different voices. It can localize according to your international location, but would be nice to have varying options.

where did you get the led circuit from? I assume the Dot sits somewhere below HAL, and not behind it?

I feel like at some point someone is going to deepfake Douglas Rain's voice to combine with something like this which will be the ultimate awesomeness...
If you can live with a limited number of phrases, a (good) voice imitator would do the job. I actually found one on the web. But they charge by the word, and this adds up quickly - so I forgot about it.

Hi, thanks!

If i had more time i'd love to make a bunch of these.

here's the hobby circuit i used and modified to use a mono audio in line for the alexa.

Make it.
Then you calculate your price and way to earn a bit, make offer, take deposit buy stuff and make the run, you will sell many.

i've been motivated as a result of a Master Replica scam as well. Namely because of what was promised by the prototype just looked so cool. With the Moebius model (due to arrive) I'm thinking to use a tablet to display the computer video (available on YT), a recordable sound chip and a small 3 watt amp to a heftier speaker for better quality for HAL's voice. The tablet display can be used for other more useful things like the weather and such. I hope to share once materials are collected.

This is very interesting and I have been following. A bit down the road I might be doing something very much inspired by your work on this.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back