Hal 9000 - dimentions?

joeranger

Sr Member
I saw a HAL Schematic that had dimensions for a plate that was 5 1/2in wide. Was it that big? What is the length/width ratio? I would like to make some scaled down versions.

OK, my bad. I did look at that post but of course jumped right to page 5.

Here is my prototype. Looks a little thick.

5877130.jpeg

OK, so the movie is like a beautiful version of "Ancient Aliens"
4389423.jpeg

However, I did make the adjustments and used the posted version of the HAL 9000 image. I am selling one of these so if that violates anyone's rules please let me know. I am just trying to offset the cost of the materials and tools for mine.

4096708.jpeg

Wow!
What incredible work, thanks so much for this, I'm trying build one from scratch myself.
I came across an Adam Savage video
where it seems the items at auction you mentioned was purchased by Director Peter Jackson. In the video he even has the Brain Key prop, which was machined from metal. Hals decal is slightly worn as you described too.
I notice a lot of disparity regarding the dimensions of the speaker grill, even in the movie sometimes the height seems to change from scene to scene.
Anyways thanks again.
(It was not possible to reply directly to the member who created the very accurate replica with the link provided by Wannab... restrictionson number of images)
PB

Prototype Hal for proportion comparison.

View attachment 1339139
Many thanks good Sir!
I was looking at a Vintage Hanimex 3000AF 85mm Slide Projector for sale online, I was wondering if I'm right in assuming that has a lens thats 85mm in diameter?
If so that would be almost perfect match to the Nikor 82mm.
What say you?

PB

Attachments

• s-l1600 3.jpg
    s-l1600 3.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 43
  • s-l1600 4.jpg
    s-l1600 4.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 65
  • s-l1600 5.jpg
    s-l1600 5.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 48
I suppose it could work as a "good enough" option, but it would take a lot of tweaking and adding an outer dome. The fluting on the outer ring is quite coarse compared to the Nikkor. Frankly, if going for "close enough" I'd skip it and get the current model kit and be better than close enough.

Fisheye8mmf8_9a.jpg

profile.jpg

Thanks wannab,
A few glasses of red wine, and I actually bought both the Mobieus kit and the projector in the last 10 minutes. If what member "Valor" says about his projector purchase is anything to go by, the lens glass is 70mm in dia. I expect the lens in the Haimex I just bought is probably the same.

It might be a Frankenstein type of situation, my brother and I will try some mixing and matching to see if we can perhaps enhance the Mobieus kit etc.
Ultimately my intention is to build a dock for Hal along the lines of the company (whos name I dare not mention at this time) made and wire up a bluetooth speaker, charging ports... food blender?.... I dunno...
We will see what happens.
Much obliged for your help.

PB

I think this might work with the Mobieus kit, its exactly 82mm :cool:

Attachments

• 20200904_140250.jpg
    20200904_140250.jpg
    514.7 KB · Views: 47
There are so many active HAL 9000 threads, which makes it hard to figure out where to post :)
Whenever I see optical lenses, I am checking for HAL 9000 options.
Today, I found this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000305380858.html
The 120 deg or 90 deg look best. The 78mm include the flat surrounding area - the rounded area is probably about 74mm
in diameter. And they are less than $15.
1599688675587.png

Great options for sure...and the price is right! TFS with us Markus. As for the different threads, it would be great to put them all together.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back