HAL 9000 Brain Room Sign (Logic Memory Center sign; seconds)

Buy now for 100.00 GBP
You don't have the permission to purchase
Prop Store

nkg

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey, folks! So last year I decided to make a super-accurate replica, typographically speaking, of the HAL 9000 brain room sign. This is the notice on the door that Bowman opens to get to the eerie red chamber in which HAL’s higher functions are located. It’s a brushed aluminium sign with various bits of text printed on it in black and white, with red and white fields.

1.jpg

And it became a bit of a saga. The sign company kept screwing up, over and over in interesting and innovative ways.

2.jpg

I have thus ended up with a whole pile of extraneous flawed signs, most of which I paid for. And, rather than throw them away, I’ve decided to see if anybody else wants them at low, low, prices. A bit late for Christmas, but there we go.

The good stuff:

- The signs are solid aluminium, 1.5mm thick. Unfortunately they’re not brushed as per the original prop, but the metal still looks great. The original signs were probably thicker that that, as they had countersunk screws, but I found it was prohibitively expensive to get a place to print on thicker stock.

- The layout of Harry Lange’s timeless design is replicated accurately. I precisely reproduced the inconsistent letterspacing and kerning (the original prop was all done by hand with dry transfers) by relying on a screenshot of the 4K scan. Everything is set in the correct typeface (Futura Bold) and should look pretty good. It’s pretty decent printing, though if you look with a magnifier you can see a little stairstepping.

3.jpg

- The metal is covered with a semi-matte clear plastic film that's supposedly UV-absorbent.

6.jpg

- The signs are of two sizes. Big: 610mm x 235mm (24" x 9 1/4"), which I believe is close the original. And small: 525mm x 200mm (about 20.5" x 7 7/8"), which is more suited to fit on a household door.

9.jpg

(this is the original sign as it appears in the movie, not my replica)

The bad stuff:

- No screws included.

- Pre-drilled for mounting, though the holes are not the same diameter as on the original (which had recessed screws or bolts).

- A few of the signs have a really obscure typo. The original sign refers to “EM 014” regulations. I thought initially it was “LM”. If you noticed this mistake you have really impressive photographic memory.

- The printers used the wrong protective film for a couple batches signs (not all of them), and the laminated film on those shrunk slightly. Some of the signs have a noticeably rippled surface (see below) as a result. Will the shrinking continue? I don’t know. They were made last year and have not worsened, but I can’t guarantee anything.

7.jpg

- Some signs were printed with the wrong colours. They printed the areas that were meant to be bare metal as white, and used metallic inks for the red and blue. The signs actually look pretty great; they’re just not screen-accurate. One has a bad scratch:

8.jpg

The signs I have available:

1. Small with wrong protective film. LM typo (see below). Good, but film is slightly shrunken left and right. £20. SOLD

7.jpg

2. Small with wrong protective film. Pretty bad - ripples, and wrinkles on right side. Numerous small spot-like blemishes to central red panel. £5.

3. Small with wrong protective film. Bad - slightly rippled. £5.

4. Small with wrong protective film. Bad - slightly rippled. £5.

5. Small with incorrect white print (see below), metallic red/blue, slight blemish at top. £15. SOLD

s3.jpg

6. Small with incorrect white print, metallic red/blue, slight blemish at top, noticeable scratch on text, right side. £10.

Untitled 16.jpg

7. Small with incorrect white print, metallic red/blue. £25. SOLD

8. Big with wrong protective film. LM typo. Film is shrunken on left and right sides by a couple mm (see below), but no ripples. £40 SOLD

s4.jpg

9. Small. Really good but subtle hint of dark line along the top edge (see below left), and left/right red lines are about 3mm too close to the edge (see below right). £40 SOLD

s5.jpg
s2.jpg

10. Small with wrong protective film. LM typo. Right red line is too close to the edge. Film is slightly shrunken left and right. £20. SOLD

11. Small with wrong protective film. LM typo. Two small bubbles in the red area. Right red line is too close to the edge. Film is slightly shrunken left and right. £15. SOLD

Screenshot 2020-12-26 at 23.39.15.jpg

12. Small. Nearly perfect but LM typo and narrow 1.5cm scratch on lower left edge. £40. SOLD

s1.jpg

13. Small. Good but subtle wrinkling of film in corners, couple of long narrow scratches on end. £30. SOLD

14. Big with incorrect white print, metallic red/blue, nasty deep 5cm scratch on front left. £25. SOLD

Terms:

Payment by PayPal in GBP. Sold as-is; no returns.

Shipping:

Signs are shipped from the UK. Backed with hardboard and wrapped in closed-cell white foam sheeting. I’ll have to prepare shipping quotes for each one depending on location. Sample: shipping a small sign to mainland USA via Fedex Express is £35. Shipping a small sign within the UK second-class post is £7.00.

Last edited:

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

nkg

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Note to admins: I hope this formatting is okay. Because each sign is in different condition, I can't post them with single unit prices. Nor do I think 14 separate posts to the Junkyard forum would be appreciated!

David3

Sr Member
Beautiful! Definitely want one of these, Nkg. Have to wait till the new year though. Fingers crossed there’ll be one left

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

yuco man

Hello, I just paid £40 to u,
My address is in UK warehouse, about my name code: YuCo BSYPWLKW
Please write clearly, cos they just recognize this name code to receive the parcel!!
Thanks
Yuco

nkg

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello, I just paid £40 to u,

Hi. Thanks for that!

Unfortunately we hadn't discussed the sign purchase beforehand. If you look at the description I have many different signs in different levels of condition available. The shipping costs also vary. I had to put a fixed value because the site doesn't really have a format for something like this.

I've sent you a private message so we can discuss this further.

yuco man

Hi. Thanks for that!

Unfortunately we hadn't discussed the sign purchase beforehand. If you look at the description I have many different signs in different levels of condition available. The shipping costs also vary. I had to put a fixed value because the site doesn't really have a format for something like this.

I've sent you a private message so we can discuss this further.
I’m still waiting for your reply!!

yuco man

I already PM your mailbox, may you reply me ASAP? How do I pay u back the shipping cost and do u have any other messenger can contact easily???
Yuco

I already PM your mailbox, may you reply me ASAP? How do I pay u back the shipping cost and do u have any other messenger can contact easily???
Yuco
Its christmas eve in some parts of the world. Let the guy have a minute to respond befoe you start bumping the thread with what should be in Pms.

Signeddiamond

nkg

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Thanks, signeddiamond !

yuco man : please note that I am not a company with staff, who are available 24 hours a day. I'm just a private individual. I do need to sleep from time to time, and when you messaged me it was 4:30 in the morning, UK time. It's also a public holiday.

I have responded to you via PM.

ukwookie

I just received sign no 9. This was a SECOND? It looks perfect to me! It’s going to make a brilliant companion piece to my Moebius HAL console - once I get it finished...
Thanks so much for making these available!

Prop Store