HAL 9000 - beyond the face plate

The London Design Museum mockup was done VERY quickly, I think we had maybe a week to plan it, the monitors and hardware were ordered from Amazon UK and sent direct to the museum. There was one error I'm aware of, the white rubdown lettering was misplaced outside the monitor insets, but oh well. And there was a malfunction in that the outer casing was not ventilated, and the monitors would overheat and shut down. Definitely a pro tip for anyone else trying to built one of these beasts.

Attachments

• IMG_8112 - four monitors.jpg
    IMG_8112 - four monitors.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 139
  • position guide copy.jpg
    position guide copy.jpg
    526.9 KB · Views: 137
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 3.59.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 3.59.48 PM.png
    338.8 KB · Views: 143
The electronics and interface to the monitors was done by our genius electronics engineer, Bob Petersen. I do not know those details except for that they were four media players based on the Raspberry Pi, one for each monitor. I had previously designed and animated the HAL status displays for the MRG "HAL Screensaver" product, so I rendered out the graphics as short videos and Bob made it all sing and dance with programming.

The London Design Museum mockup was done VERY quickly, I think we had maybe a week to plan it, the monitors and hardware were ordered from Amazon UK and sent direct to the museum. There was one error I'm aware of, the white rubdown lettering was misplaced outside the monitor insets, but oh well. And there was a malfunction in that the outer casing was not ventilated, and the monitors would overheat and shut down. Definitely a pro tip for anyone else trying to built one of these beasts.
Thanks a lot! These images are very valuable. Just a few postings above, I mentioned that it would make sense to use four wide-screen monitors with a few Raspberry Pi's - and this is exactly what you did here. Very nice - and thanks for sharing.

Thanks a lot! These images are very valuable. Just a few postings above, I mentioned that it would make sense to use four wide-screen monitors with a few Raspberry Pi's - and this is exactly what you did here. Very nice - and thanks for sharing.
Thank you! And yours seems to be well on the way, I look forward to seeing what you do with it!

Thank you! And yours seems to be well on the way, I look forward to seeing what you do with it!
Well, the first one (in the rotating corridor) will just be a face plate sitting on a white case. :D
But for the second one (from the Pod Bay room) with it's screen, I am planning to do some work on nice graphics. And this is where I will benefit from all possible input!

well if it helps, here's the best reference I can find on the Pod Bay console. Do you have all the recent books? The Bizony "Making of Kubrick's 2001" by Taschen is a gold mine, as are Adam K Johnson's two "Lost Science" volumes.

Attachments

• halpanelstraighton-2.jpg
    halpanelstraighton-2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 100
well if it helps, here's the best reference I can find on the Pod Bay console. Do you have all the recent books? The Bizony "Making of Kubrick's 2001" by Taschen is a gold mine, as are Adam K Johnson's two "Lost Science" volumes.
These are good sources! But for the Pod Bay console, the screen captures from the Blu Ray are already pretty good.

The first steps in building the unit in the rotating hallway.
All the pieces are cut from 3/16" plywood with a laser cutter.
Here are the front plates.
20210514_182950.jpg

The back plate with the structures to hold the front plates - and, again, with the sides added.

20210513_222220.jpg
20210514_183058.jpg

Then some spackling and sanding, to round the inner corners.

20210523_134522.jpg

The area below the slits is painted dark gray (I could have used black, but I still had that gray available).
20210523_134632.jpg
20210526_155345.jpg

The inner sides of the slits are painted white before they are added. It is easier to do this first, as these will be harder to reach afterwards.

20210526_171655.jpg

Then, more spackling/sanding needs to be applied to the new edges.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back