Hairing up a werewolf advice

Slave1

Sr Member
Just picked up one of these . . . a 1:1 werewolf bust from The Howling.

3543462908_70722222cd.jpg

I like the sculpt and think it captures the look and feel from the film, but sculpted hair never compares to the real deal. I'd kind of prefer it to look like this:

Howling-ld_shot9l.jpg

the-howling.jpg

Anyone have any tips on what sort of hair to use, techniques for applying, etc.?

100+ views and no one has any tips on what type of hair to use, where to get it, what sorts of things I should consider?

Well, we have no idea what it's made of, what your budget is or your skill level with hair is.

Bust material: If it's hard you won't be punching hair like the prop.
Budget: You could spend $9 or make a $400 NFT order
Skill: if you've never worked hair get ready for madness

There are also TONS of hair threads on the forum, with discussions about the different types and where to get them.

Laffo.

Thanks for the response, Laffo.

I should have said the bust is resin. Took that for granted that the sculpted hair gave it away as a hard copy.

Skill level: I'd leave it alone or try to get someone to do it for me if I thought it was beyond my own ability.

As for budget . . . I've been propping for well over a decade, so I know it's not an inexpensive hobby. It never ceases to amaze me when people starting on the board say something like they're in the market to get a good quality Vader helmet but they're on a budget.

Basically want to know what my options might be, aside from the obvious Halloween crepe hair. And if there are people out there who have some experience, can you tell from the screen pics what sort of hair it might be? It looks pretty wooly. Yak hair? What?

Thanks!

NFT will send you samples. They do a sparse and super sparse hair on a 2 way stretch material that can be glued to the surface...that might work. Id be tempted to get a powerfile on the bust and smooth out some of the sculpted hair, then repaint, then apply the hair. I'm no expert though.

Ask then for the codes below and they'll send you something to look at.

1724D Full Werewolf - 5-7" $40.00/sq. ft
1725D Medium Werewolf - 5-7" $40.00/sq. ft
1726D Sparse Werewolf - 5-7" $40.00/sq. ft
1727D Super Sparse Werewolf — 5-7" $40.00/sq. ft

Thanks for the response, Laffo.

I should have said the bust is resin. Took that for granted that the sculpted hair gave it away as a hard copy.

Skill level: I'd leave it alone or try to get someone to do it for me if I thought it was beyond my own ability.

As for budget . . . I've been propping for well over a decade, so I know it's not an inexpensive hobby. It never ceases to amaze me when people starting on the board say something like they're in the market to get a good quality Vader helmet but they're on a budget.

Basically want to know what my options might be, aside from the obvious Halloween crepe hair. And if there are people out there who have some experience, can you tell from the screen pics what sort of hair it might be? It looks pretty wooly. Yak hair? What?

Thanks!

Sculpted hair could be rigid foam which can be punched, expanded foam which could be punched, vinyl which can be sewn in...

Go to the Beauty Supply. Ask to look at Human Hair and Kankeon. Pick what you like.

The original is Yak and Horse.

National Fiber Technologies is having their year end clearance right now. I have no idea what's left at this point. You'd need at least a yard depending on the width of the hair. Be sure and ask, because NFT stuff is different widths. You can get a yard that's 1 foot by 3 feet or 3 feet by 3 feet.

I don't think you need to spend the money on NFT for this though.

I'd use glue and Kankleon on this. Maybe CA. Not sure that'll improve it though. I think it's actually a pretty cool sculpt. Afraid hairing it might mess it up.

I'd leave it alone and sculpt a new one without hair to punch correctly. That way it's correct and yours.

Laffo.

Cool! Thanks for the opinions, guys! That's the kind of info I was looking for.

I figured the original is yak or possibly yak and horse, or yak, horse and wool.

Yes, I considered that adding hair may not look right and that while the original looks cool under low lighting, a replica with hair may just look really off.

I have worked with human hair and some sort of synthetic, maybe it was the Kankeon you're talking about. I haired up my Planet of the Apes gorilla solidier, using a wig on top, which covered the back, and then I did the beard and side areas, and forehead, blending into the wig. Turned out pretty good, but I hated the synthetic hair and wished I had used horse hair as they did with the originals.

The bust hasn't arrived yet, so I guess how it looks when it comes will be the deciding factor of what I end up doing, if anything.

This is my favorite werewolf movie and I wanted this bust before I even knew one existed so I want it looking as good as possible.

Here's an example I found of the same sculpt with molded hair ground down and new hair added. I'm not crazy about the look. As a generic werewolf, it looks okay, and the detail work on the mouth is excellent, but overall the thing looks nothing like the werewolf from the first movie. The flesh is too light, and the hair too gray. Maybe they were going for one of the sequel werewolves. Don't know.

IMG_0963.jpg

Could he perhaps apply a layer of silicone to punch hair into? Is that even feasible, or does the other side need to be open/accessible?

There was never any question that I'd just have to glue the hair on, if I decided to go through with doing it.

To punch hair would be possibly, I suppose, by drilling small holes, but that would be a lot of holes to drill and fill, and then it would probably still look like doll hair.

BTW, this still hasn't come, though I was told on the 18th it would ship "in the next day or two." Yesterday was the outside delivery date and it was advertised as "just in time for Halloween." We've got 3 shipping days to go before Halloween is over, and we have a party tommorrow, and I actually wanted to display it for that.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back