Had an Idea about the BSG Black Bird

tgreco

Sr Member
yes I watch the show religiously
yes I'm a fan
Yes, I'd love to build one.

So it occurs to me that the Laura is all straight lines, with almost no (if any) curves, which kind of lends itself to an easy scratch build.

What I'd like to do is gather enough reference to put together a set of templates
(kind of like a paper model) but really designed for novices to build her out of sheet styrene, giving them the ability to scale as they want (1:24 for the studio scale folks, 1:32 for the ones that want something in scale witht the monogram kit, etc...)
and post the templates here on the RFP

I think this would give a lot of folks a chance to do their first scratch build on a subject that's not too intimidating... (I know anything with too many curves or organic shapes or ton's of kit pieces to detail scares me)

am I treading water here, or does this sound like an idea some folks would want to help out with?

found a good nose view, but I could really use a good side view

I know they showed it in the episode where Starbuck did the recon on the resurection ship and where Lee piloted it

screengrabs from those episodes would be perfect

You could also use pics from the episode "Flight of the Phoenix." You could also try looking in David Eick's video blog. I remember seeing an entry about the construction of the full scale mock up.

I had been thinking about this project only in the 1/24th SS scale.

I was trying to find a good skin for the Black Bird that had that texture of the carbon fiber skin. I looked at several plastics and decided that sintra(ridgid PVC Foam board) was my best option. it has a texture that is similar to what was seen on flight of the phoneix and I have a picture of the texture on the sintra, but I need to reinstall the software for the camera onto the old computer (GURR new computers Mother board blew out tonight).

So I will add a picture or two when I get a chance guys to show you what I am talking about.

It's too bad Laura bought it so quickly. It really made it feel like a deux machina in the plot. It didn't have much for firepower (if any) but it was cool to see it slip through space unnoticed.

As promised heres a pic of the texture of sintra (or PVC Foam Board)

IMG_0137.jpg

I've cobbled together enough stuff to where I can figure out all the general shapes and get started on the templates, but I still need a good clean profile shot

anyone manage to find one?

well, I have enough reference to get started, does anyone know what the actual length of the blackbird is supposed to be?

well, unless anyone has any other suggestions or specs, I guess I'll be using the Viper dimensions (which kinda makes sense seeing as it uses the same launch tubes)

the blueprints are almost finished, but I know that some of my reference pics are low qualty so I'm not sure how accurate some of the measurements are

anyhow, there's also some discrepencies between the full scale ship and the cg model (where on the full scale everything is hard edged, the CG has several rounded off corners and such, so there is a little bit of interpretation going into this)

anyhow, if anyone has any other reference pics, they would still be greatly appreciated

thanks

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back