nandemoguy

20210216_080853.jpg

It was about 2 years in the making but its finally done.

Inside this beast is a raspberry pi 3b, a teensy 2++, and a teensy 2 to make it fully functional.

We did a short video on the creation of this reproduction.

NICE! That's a blast from the past.
The build is nice and clean, and the fact that it actually works is impressive to say the least.
Bonus points for the soundtrack - I loved the music in that movie!
Now where did I put my Rollerblades...?

Did the keyboard's controller PCB not fit with the ribbon cables inside the keyboard enclosure? I'd think using it and an ADB-to-USB adaptor would have been much easier than reverse-engineering its matrix.

There are two versions of the Apple Keyboard II. Yours, manufactured by SMK and another one made by Mitsumi. On vintage Apple gear, the OEM was indicated by the first letter in the serial number: S or M. The Mitsumi-made keyboards did have a larger PCB but the ribbon connector was located higher up, so maybe it might have been easier to fit.

Did the keyboard's controller PCB not fit with the ribbon cables inside the keyboard enclosure? I'd think using it and an ADB-to-USB adaptor would have been much easier than reverse-engineering its matrix.

There are two versions of the Apple Keyboard II. Yours, manufactured by SMK and another one made by Mitsumi. On vintage Apple gear, the OEM was indicated by the first letter in the serial number: S or M. The Mitsumi-made keyboards did have a larger PCB but the ribbon connector was located higher up, so maybe it might have been easier to fit.
Probably would have, but for whatever reason this keyboard was non functional. The switches worked though. I have next to no experience in troubleshooting electronics, and i knew i could make my own using just the switch matrix, so for me personally, it felt like the path of least resistance.
There would have been enough room in the housing for sure though.

Wow, nice job.
I LOVE the floppy drive/SD card hack... I just want to put that in my computer to mess with people... :)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back