GW Imperial Knight - glowing eyes

Raven Morpheus

Hey all

I have a Games Workshop Imperial Knight model. I'd like to light the head so it's "eyes" light up. Basically like a pair of headlights would. However I'm a little stumped on how to achieve that.

I've seen people stick LEDs into the head, but this seems rather crude and requires that the head be hollowed out - it also means you're likely to lose the movement GW provide in the head joint.

So I thought about using fibre optic strands, run them through the head, routing them so as to avoid the moveable joint, and into the cavity in the body where a battery and LED will be housed.

The head itself has a 1.5mm to 2mnm pair of holes for the eyes, but there's no way I'll be using that thick a gauge of fibre optic strand and because of that it will end up looking like just a couple of pin pricks of light unless I diffuse the light.

So, how do I diffuse the end of the fibre optic strands so I get a decent headlight effect?

Would it simply be a matter of filling the eyes with lets say Microscale Krystal Klear (i.e. clear drying PVA glue) to make a "lens" and having the fibre optic strands sit just behind the new "lenses"?

Thanks in advance for and help on this.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back