"Guy Builds a Real Phaser" video

Yeah it's true. He went through all that trouble to put in a crappy Playmates phaser!

Yes, you can use the lasers from DVD burners and such to pop black balloons or seriously blind yourself or someone else. Way not worth the risk. This kind of stuff isn't a toy and it makes me cringe when I see it done and put in an actual toy.

I saw an article about this. I believe he used a laser from a Bluray player.

The reason its visible is due to the smoke in the room.

I uesd to see these on Ebay occasionally. Not sure if they still come up or if Ebay put the kibosh on them... because they ARE dangerous! :eek :wacko

It's cool and all... in a "don't try this at home" kind of way.

Kevin

It's a KipKay project, they also have a tutorial on altering a Bic lighter and putting in a Bluray Diode. I have a couple hi powered Green Lasers I pop balloons and light matches with. I just use common sense-a hard to find commoditty I know-and have never had any problems.

I say treat it like a real gun and you're fine. Never point it at anyone, only use it in a controlled environment, only shoot black balloons, etc.

Pretty awesome.

It's worse than a real gun in some respects. Hit a reflective surface with it and you are just as likely to blind yourself or blind some unlucky person out and about.

It's worse than a real gun in some respects. Hit a reflective surface with it and you are just as likely to blind yourself or blind some unlucky person out and about.

Hit a metal plate angled the wrong way and you'll do the same with a gun. :)

Definitely want to use it in a controlled environment though, no reflective surfaces. :thumbsup

Hit a metal plate angled the wrong way and you'll do the same with a gun. :)

Definitely want to use it in a controlled environment though, no reflective surfaces. :thumbsup

That Is no where near the same... The odds are astronomically different bud.

Waving a consistent beam vs. Random trigger pull.

Look at the vids...

They also make a flashlight that can istantly set newspaper on fire in broad daylight.

Again... These are WAAY more powerful than a BD player laser...

You can burn... Literally burn straight through a disc in like 1second with the arctic 3.

Ballons don't have to be black... You could start a fire from across the street... These should not be available to kids... Period.

....and you could kill someone with a knife which are a lot easier to get hold of.
Chill

What's the range on a knife? Lasers like this which have true line of sight firing, not like a rifle you'd have to adjust for wind and distance, etc, can permanently blind pilots on final approach and are fairly easy to hide. Plus, how often have you seen ****ing idiotic kids pointing laser pointers at people's eyes? These should require a background check like handguns.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back