Prop Store

Guess the movie and prop/item used in what film and win a prize package

Discussion in 'Production Made Costumes and Props' started by MoviePropCollector, Aug 19, 2015.

1. MoviePropCollector

MoviePropCollector Sr Member

Thought I would post a little contest I am running on my site. Everybody is free to enter :) .

Todays Hollywood Auction #74 preview item is extra special in that Movie Prop Collectors is making it a contest.

Profiles in History donated a prize package of an Auction #74 auction catalog, (which is over 650 pages, of almost 2,000 lots featuring amazing Hollywood props, costumes, art, and emphemera), a Profiles T Shirt, coffee mug, and a special PIH keychain celebrating their 30th anniversay which was available to select Comic Con 2015 attendees.

To enter just click to make a comment in the comments section of the article and post your movie title and the item you think this is, The first person to correctly guess both the film and item wins!

Each day I will post another part of the photo and give another hint as to what the film and item is.

Today’s hint: The film is well known and was released before 1980. The item itself is also very familiar to most of us in our lives.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  2. MoviePropCollector

Second clue and more of the photo:

Each day I will post another part of the photo and give another hint as to what the film and item is. Just make your guess under each new post/clue and enter as often as you want.

Second day hint: This movie was remade (horribly) in the 90’s.

[​IMG]

3. The Prop Stop

The Prop Stop Sr Member

Well im thinking its a sideways door...and the glass has something etched in the middle. Other than that no idea.

4. MoviePropCollector

All guesses need to be posted within the article where the photos and clues are.

Some good ones so far.

Half of a good guess though Mark ;) .

5. GoodGame

GoodGame Active Member

6. MoviePropCollector

Love reading everyone's guesses but they need to be posted HERE or HERE, or under the most recent clue and photo update the site links above under comments ;) .

7. MoviePropCollector

Third Clue and Photo:

Todays Hollywood Auction #74 preview item is extra special in that Movie Prop Collectors is making it a contest. Profiles in History donated a prize package of an Auction #74 auction catalog, (which is over 650 pages, of almost 2,000 lots featuring amazing Hollywood props, costumes, art, and emphemera), a Profiles T Shirt, coffee mug, and a special PIH keychain celebrating their 30th anniversay which was available to select Comic Con 2015 attendees.

To enter just click to make a comment here and sign up, post your movie title and the item you think this is, here in the comments section. The first person to correctly guess both the film and item wins! You can guess as many times as you wish :) .

Each day I will post another part of the photo and give another hint as to what the film and item is.

Third hint: This movie is a classic from the 1960's:

[​IMG]

8. brucebatman

brucebatman Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Norman bates door from psycho 1960

9. MoviePropCollector

Great guesses everyone. However you do have to make your guess in the thread at the site to enter ;) .

It is an interesting and cool item ;) .

10. Moviefreak

Moviefreak Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Do you ever feel nobody is listening to you?

11. Mike J.

Mike J. Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Jim Morrison's door from The Doors.

12. GoodGame

GoodGame Active Member

Alan Deats Deputy District Attorney Door from Psycho ...and yes, I posted in the appropriate thread in the link as well ;)

13. Monkey67

Monkey67 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nice, Congrats.

Only problem I ran across was how was the remake so horrible? It was shot frame to frame from the 1960's version. Kinda like it was honoring the masterpiece. That clue threw me off the pyscho trail.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  14. Rik1138

Rik1138 Sr Member

General opinion of movie goers more than anything. When the original has a 90+ % rating, and the remake is about 35%, that generally indicates most people thought it was horrible :) ... (Or that the idea of an exact remake was just a horrible idea...). I remember it being pretty universally hated when it came out.

15. Monkey67

I got ya. People dont seem to like remakes of classics. Even tho it is the same screen shots.This was a fun game to play. Thanks for making it.

16. MoviePropCollector

We have a winner:

The Profiles in History, Hollywood Auction #74 preview item contest winner is Chris Thompson. Chris was the first person to correctly guess the door from the original Universal Studios Alfred Hitchcock 1960 film, “Psycho“. Chris wins a prize package of an Auction #74 auction catalog, (which is over 650 pages, of almost 2,000 lots featuring amazing Hollywood props, costumes, art, and emphemera), a Profiles T Shirt, coffee mug, and a special PIH keychain celebrating their 30th anniversay which was available to select Comic Con 2015 attendees. Chris, please email me at Admin@MoviePropCollectors.com for your contact info.

Thanks to everyone who entered. Their were some great guesses :) .

Special mention to Dan Wright who also guessed correctly shortly after Chris.

Here is Profiles in History’s complete auction catalog page of Lot #96: The original front door of the house from “Psycho” (1960).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  17. brucebatman

when i posted my guess his wasn't there we must of literally posted at the same time lol. oh well better luck next time.

18. MoviePropCollector

Are you Dan? Great guess!

I approved his and your ( (Dan Wright's) comments at the same time in the order they appeared in my Admin panel before posting publicly. He made his right before yours so he had an earlier timestamp.

if I get anything extra from Profiles (I can't promise anything), I will send your way :) .

19. brucebatman

Yes im Dan and Thank you my friend that's very generous.

20. SciFiMuseum

SciFiMuseum Well-Known Member

I posted this to both pages before anyone else-it is approved and there. My answer: the door from the house in Psycho. Posted as Chris Thompson (scifimuseum)

21. Monkey67

Well since I feel Dan got robbed of his goal. Did all the leg work just to see a dude touched the ball as was crossing the goal line. I'm just watching the clock from your post here and then Chris post. It's almost 2 hours apart with an different answer from your psycho one. Not taken away Chris win, but looks as he took your idea and glory maybe. But rules are rules for a reason.

Anyway I'll send you my copy of the catalog if profiles sends me one. I seem to get one almost every time lately. If I don't get a copy...well sorry Holmes. Wait..you're in the UK..F that! Jk man, I'll still mail it out still.

- - - Updated - - -

huh..you are joking right? I can't see the answers on the site anymore. Was that a day 2 answer?

22. SciFiMuseum

No not a joke. I posted the answer on both pages. I actually almost answered this the first day and hesitated because it was on its side and went back and posted later!

In fact here is my computer search history dated 2 days before I posted the answer.
    DSCN8773.JPG

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  23. MoviePropCollector

It's pretty straightforward and easy to understand guys :) .

Chris posted his guess before Dan. Whether it was seconds, minutes or hours. Both comments (guesses) were approved at the same time and Chris's appeared first.

To be nice since they posted near one another I told Dan if I get another catalog from PIH I will out of my pocket, send one to him too.

Now Monkey, why are you being a naughty primate and flinging your poo?.....(All said tongue in cheek of course ;) ).

24. Monkey67

Oh I'm not flinging poo / causing a problem...am I? I mean no disrespect to anyone playing or running the contest. I'm not taken anything away from Chris. He won fair and square. I don't have a problem with his win since he did play by the rules. I'm just thinking that he took dan's answer before Dan could fix his error and place it on the right site. Did he? Idk for sure as I said I'm going off this site alone. A time stamp is a time stamp, no question about it. I simply feel for Dan and would gladly give him my personal copy of a catalog if one is sent to me. That's just me trying to be a nice guy.

You are totally being a nice and generous guy to offer up anything you might have extra of. I'm simply trying to help out by offering mine in case you have no luck.

The other person I figured was joking about it. I have no insight on thier claim nor think it to be true.

If I have offended anyone, sorry my bad. no hard feelings to anyone, I enjoy the game.

25. MoviePropCollector

No offense taken ;) .

Everybody loves Monkeys ;) .

26. brucebatman

Thanks guys it really doesn't matter tho well done to Chris.

27. SciFiMuseum

Thank you man! Nice of you to say.

28. Monkey67

Sorry guys..I'm having a bad week with death in the family. It Really messed my head up. I thought good game was Chris. Now I see how I got mixed up...d'oh! Offer still stands on the catalog tho, man of my word.

Good game to all...I'm out until later this week.

29. brucebatman

Monkey67 sorry to hear that dude thanks again and hope you have a good week.
    regards.