Guardians of the galaxy groot costume


Jr Member
I saw the costume Created by Calen Hoffman and wanted to make my own

STEP 1 Stilts that I walk in
General stilt Design

Building Stilts out of 2x6x12

boards are 1' long with 1/2 inch slots cut into them that are barely big enough to allow a 2x6 to slot into them

test assembly
Last edited:


Jr Member
You can see how the boards slot into each other... this added with wood glue makes it very ridged and the stilt hopefully will not sift over time

Added a bit that sticks out to the outside edge of each boot to make more stable

Cage made with fence wire with a pipe strapping ring at the top... this should sit just below your knee

I removed the rubber bottom of an old pair of boots then screwed the upper onto the stilt. The shoes are still comfortable to where because I put some Doctor Soles in them.

- straps around the leg are not necessary
- Ring at the top which is made from pipe strapping Make sure this is heavily padded or it will tear up your leg
Last edited:


Jr Member

Covered with brown fabric So when its painted it wont look awkward if paint chips off <Update there is a better way to do this I was strapped for time>

Starting to place 3/4 inch pipe insulation on leg

NOTE: Must be a low heat hot glue gun otherwise it will melt the foam
Last edited:


Jr Member

<UPDATE> Paper mache did not work Glue does not stick and the paper is to ridged for movement

quickly stitched on an old pair of shorts to the stilt fabric and continued applying the foam pipe insulation branches

Add a shirt and put a zipper down he back


added a neck and will most likely have to trim it down later.
Last edited:


Jr Member
Decided to scratch the paper mache because it did not stick really well to the foam. It also breaks off of areas that bend with movement.
On the plus side I don't have to deal with the mess.
Now I am heating up a little knife and dragging it through the foam to create a wood effect .

Last edited:


Active Member
The wood texture is looking good !

What glue are you using to glue the foam pipes to the clothes ?

Have you tried it on yet ? And how is it getting your feet into the shoes ?


Jr Member
So I haven't posted a picture of the back yet ill do that shortly. I have installed a zipper from the base of the neck to the in between my legs.

the torso section is like a shell and it can be spred open enough so i can stick my legs down into the stilts. It is difficult to get my legs through the two support straps i have attached to the stilts but that's because I cant really see what i am doing. The boots attached to the stilts have zip sides so I don't have to worry about putting them on and taking them off . There is also a small slit on the inside of each leg so I can zip up the boot and adjust the fit. This slit also allows me to tighten the straps. After that I can put on the torso like a button up shirt... if the buttons were in the back. Then someone zips me up... It takes a while but I would rather than than have obvious divisions between the torso and legs.


Jr Member
Gluing and painting process. So Most of you will have worked with the gray EVA foam mats, They are very easy to work with glue paint and sculpt. I am using this foam for the head and bark larger bits. The foam for the branches is Pipe insulation is made from Polyethylene. Polyethylene does not stick to anything, and very little sticks to polyethylene. To glue it on I use a low temperature hot glue gun. I believe this works because the hot glue gun melts the foam and bonds better to the melted foam. (High heat hot glue will melt right through the foam )

Painting the piece has been its own problem. First I tried spray painting the whole thing, and adding detail with acrylic paints... This looked good but quickly chipped off on high stress areas. So I grabbed scrap piece of foam and tested some painting methods... Spray paint sucks, Spray primer sucks, Strait acrylic paint worked the but would chip off with heavy use. I tried applying a thin layer of white glue and that flaked off the moment it was dry.

In short painting polyethylene is a bitch

Solution that I am implementing..

I notes ed that the spray primer would only chip off if it was heavy applied a very very light misting would hold in the pores of the foam. So I scraped off all the spray paint I had painted with a shop knife blade, and misted the costume with a light layer of primer. After that I applied a thick layer of a latex based exterior primer. After a night to dry this method holds up to some abuse. Now I expect I can paint whatever I want to this new surface.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.