Guardians of the Galaxy Awesome Mix vol.1

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Fatherttam

i mixed the movie soundtrack to cassette and then put the label on 10593210_10152745361713619_3056730454312147960_n.jpg

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Fatherttam

thought i should give a little more info. i used a TDK D60 cassette, which matches the movie tape exactly. and i also put an unmarked label on the B side
2014-08-14 15.24.57.jpg

Coop

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
thought i should give a little more info. i used a TDK D60 cassette, which matches the movie tape exactly. and i also put an unmarked label on the B side
View attachment 363212

It would be nice if the D60 was *the* tape as they're a heck of a lot easier to get a hold of in the US. Bus the D60 is missing the details that set the GOTG cassette apart. The model has already been identified and outed in this forum. If you dig around a little, you should find it.

Fatherttam

It would be nice if the D60 was *the* tape as they're a heck of a lot easier to get a hold of in the US. Bus the D60 is missing the details that set the GOTG cassette apart. The model has already been identified and outed in this forum. If you dig around a little, you should find it.

well neither the D series nor the CDING series were created until after 1990 so if the people making the movie didn't care that much. maybe it's not that serious

Kevin Gossett

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
If you're going for historical context, that may very well be the tape Quill's mom would have used, but it's not the tape they used for the film.

lharles

For what it's worth, I settled on chasing down the CDING2-90EC cassettes for the 'Awesome Mix...'. :) {CDING2-90EC = That's the 'ITEM CODE' on the back...}

The packaging looks like this, (not my pics - grabbed off of the web): [You can see the little yellow swoopy dealios on the tape, the ones also present on the close up pics of the tape from the movie...]

front.JPG back.JPG

Didn't see that in the thread so... :)

TheNickFox

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
It's hard to confirm now, but I believe that the D60 is actually a likely candidate for the Awesome Mix Vol. 2 tape. It doesn't seem to have the same markings as the Vol. 1.

Also of note is that Vol. 2 appears to be written in black pen rather than blue fine-tipped marker...AND it doesn't have the rounded corners on the bottom of the label.

So if you have another tape, you might be the first one with an ACCURATE Vol. 2!

-Nick

Fatherttam

It's hard to confirm now, but I believe that the D60 is actually a likely candidate for the Awesome Mix Vol. 2 tape. It doesn't seem to have the same markings as the Vol. 1.

Also of note is that Vol. 2 appears to be written in black pen rather than blue fine-tipped marker...AND it doesn't have the rounded corners on the bottom of the label.

So if you have another tape, you might be the first one with an ACCURATE Vol. 2!

-Nick

i went back and watched the movie a couple of times. the tapes change features pretty much every time they're on screen (there was obviously more than one on set). the cding 2 matches the one used for the album art. but I'm guessing the prop guys used any TDK tape they could find. since basically all of their tapes made in around the same time had the same casing so would look the same. they weren't too concerned with what would be covered by the artwork.

as for vol 2. i think you're right about the label corners. they do look square on the bottom. and the window only has the 1 circle in the middle so it looks about right for the d60. and since it was only in the 1 scene it doesn't change every time you see it like the first tape.

I'll try to get some artwork for vol 2 so i can get it done

Coop

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Time to clear a few things up:

There are numerous variations of the tape in (and out of) the movie, some of which I'll describe here.

First you have the ubiquitous OST cover shot. This version doesn't appear in a close-up as far as I can tell, although it appears to be shown playing in the Milano deck during the movie. This version has the visible part of the cding logo (two "swoops") and the four dots (an inaccurate version of the cassette exists with five dots so choose wisely), as well as the black sections on the reels, or "c clamps":

Yes, the tape with two swoops, four dots, and black section on the c-clamps is shown clearly during Quill's escape from Morag while "Go All the Way" is playing.

Gotg_OST_Cover_Awesome_Mix_Vol_1_crop.jpg

In the opening scene of the movie we get a great shot of the tape. Notice the lack of the cding logo swoops. The four dots are here and it's worth mentioning that this is the only tape that appears on screen that doesn't have the black sections on the c clamps as far as I can tell (easy to tell while the tape is playing). The tape seen in the trailer is identical as far as I can tell.

No logo is visible on this tape - it has either been removed or a printing variance placed it high enough on the tape that it was covered completely by the label. The four dots are there. Reels are all white.

WalkmanMixCap1.jpg

From trailer:

maxtapecap2.jpg

Next, when Quill fires up his Walkman for the credits sequence, we get another great close-up of a different tape. This one has the black c clamp sections, the four dots, and one visible swoop from the cding logo.

Both swoops are visible on the tape, making it the same in appearance as the OST cover tape and the Morag escape tape.

walmancap6_12.jpg

Finally, the Vol 2 tape is definitely another cding2 (at least when he unwraps it) as the four dots are visible here...

Four dots visible - no doubt it's a cding2. Again the swoop part of the logo has been removed or covered.

vol2wdots.jpg

... but seem to disappear in the very next scene when Quill puts the tape in the deck!

The four dots absolutely visible on screen, so this is also a cding2 and likely the same one from the previous scene.

vol2.jpg

It's also tough to say if Vol 2 has the black sections on the c clamps in the first scene as the tape is static. They are clearly visible in the second scene when it's playing but that may very well be a different tape.

Still cant tell what reels the static tape has in the first scene but I'm going to assume they have the black sections for now.

Even if the final shot of Vol 2 isn't a cding2, I don't think it's a D60/D90. The reels just don't look the same, IMO. Plus every D60 I've seen either has red sections in the c clamps or they're completely white.

Definitely a cding2 used for Vol 2. See above.

Saw the movie again today (8/19) and made some notations/amendments to my original comments in red.

Gotg_OST_Cover_Awesome_Mix_Vol_1_crop.jpg

WalkmanMixCap1.jpg

maxtapecap2.jpg

walmancap6_12.jpg

vol2wdots.jpg

vol2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
At least one of the Vol. 2 tapes is a CDing 2. You can see the silver dots on the one he opens up, but it's hard to say if they're on the one he puts in the tape deck based on my reference. And yes, the corners are squared.

am2_2.jpg
Here you can see the dots.

am2_3.jpg
am2_4.jpg
am2_1.jpg

And for anyone wanting to do the rest of it:
letter2.jpg
letter.jpg
wrapping.jpg

TheNickFox

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
(an inaccurate version of the cassette exists with five dots so choose wisely)

Nothing a little acetone or nail polish remover on a q-tip can't fix. :lol

I owe you a drink! I was going to start work on my own letter replica and just needed better reference material. You rock!

...as does this entire nerdy, nerdy discussion.

-Nick

No an alcohol drinker but I'll take a Dr. Pepper :lol

No problem at all! I've been meaning to sit down and go on a wrapping paper hunt. Hopefully it's not some obscure vintage wrapping paper only available in Yugoslavia or something :lol

Risu

Master Member
Hopefully it's not some obscure vintage wrapping paper only available in Yugoslavia or something :lol

Based on every other aspect of this movie's production design, yes, it assuredly is. Either that or they custom printed it on some incredibly rare paper stock that matters for some reason. Marvel hates us.

TheNickFox

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Based on every other aspect of this movie's production design, yes, it assuredly is. Either that or they custom printed it on some incredibly rare paper stock that matters for some reason. Marvel hates us.
Or they know how much we love/hate a challenge and want to keep us busy until their next movie.

Also, here's my most recent Vol. 2 label test. I think I'm getting the handwriting down now!

Screen Shot 2014-08-19 at 1.33.03 AM.png

-Nick

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.