GT Vader Armor

AnsonJames

Sr Member
I've just picked up a set of GT Vader shoulder Armor and I'd like to know how accurate it is.
Has it been cast from a set of stunt shoulders or is it purely fanmade?
I've been a Trooper costume kind of guy until now and I neglected the Vader costuming side of things.
Thanks guys -
Anson

Not accurate at all, :( (size, form, and look is all off..) but 99% of the people won't know the difference so its up to you. If you want to go accurate it is going to cost you alot more than the GT.. LMK if you are intersted..

Later. :D

DC

Originally posted by Darth Clayton@Jan 26 2006, 03:48 PM
Not accurate at all,  :( (size, form, and look is all off..) but 99% of the people won't know the difference so its up to you. If you want to go accurate it is going to cost you alot more than the GT.. LMK if you are intersted..

Later.  :D

DC
[snapback]1168696[/snapback]​

Like DC said, most people won't really know. But for the money, I think it is pretty good. Can you PM me with the person you got the armor from AJ?

DC, you have a PM :)

Elijah - SL1922

I heard it was based on a ROTJ Rubies Vader statue. It's a good representation, I used to have a set, but yes it's smaller than the original by a fair amount. However, if you're not too big in the chest/shoulders it does look pretty good all painted up. It's much more economical as well...I miss my old set....

:cheers,

Thomas

Just in case you've never seen a painted set before, here's mine:
http://gameworldweb.com/DarthAni%20Web/index.htm
It won't break the bank, and it's not a bad set of armor if you're not a massive dude, or you're not going for the 100%-every-detail-is-screen-accurate-look.
That's not knocking the screen accurate stuff, though. Some of us just don't have the size or pockets to pull that off. :(

Originally posted by DARTH ANIBAL@Jan 26 2006, 04:01 PM
Just in case you've never seen a painted set before, here's mine:
http://gameworldweb.com/DarthAni%20Web/index.htm
It won't break the bank, and it's not a bad set of armor if you're not a massive dude, or you're not going for the 100%-every-detail-is-screen-accurate-look.
That's not knocking the screen accurate stuff, though. Some of us just don't have the size or pockets to pull that off. :(
[snapback]1168976[/snapback]​

Yup....it looks the part. I've had a couple sets in the past and it looks good once you're suited up. But it is smaller...particularily the depth of the armor. I felt that when I inhaled, it would blow apart. But otherwise, you can't go wrong for the $....mind you, once you get bitten by the accuracy bug......

I have a first gen set of GT chest armor and it has provided years of service. I never could afford the high end armor that makes my mouth water, but I did see a 2006 version of GT armor that was affordable and rather sweet. It is due in any day now. If you haven't seen it, I will post pics. The warp is gone and the bells were redone to align perfectly. It doesn't look like you're wearing three pieces :)

^^I'd REALLY like to see that. Where'd you get it from decaturvader? PM me, please.
KevVader, you must be a pretty big guy. I know it's smaller armor, but I'm not a pipsqueak and I have plenty of room in mine.

Originally posted by DARTH ANIBAL@Jan 26 2006, 05:27 PM
KevVader, you must be a pretty big guy. I know it's smaller armor, but I'm not a pipsqueak and I have plenty of room in mine.
[snapback]1169038[/snapback]​

Yup.....I grew up near the power lines..... :p

Originally posted by KevVader@Jan 27 2006, 08:27 AM
....mind you, once you get bitten by the accuracy bug......
[snapback]1169009[/snapback]​

Trust me, get some bug spray, 'cause if it gets ya, it's going to cost a fortune.

GH chest armour shipped to Australia cost just over $500 US (about $26,000,000,000.53 Aus :lol )

I do have a set of GT too, I think it's a very good representation at an excellent price. Looking forward to seeing the new 2006 stuff though.

Cheers,

Kraig

I am getting a set of the new GT 2006 from Sithplanet. I had to send a money order because I don't do Paypal, so it will take a while to getit here to Ottawa, Ontario.

I have an old set of GT. But now I am finally begining to slowly upgreade my Vader suit. I would like my next piece to be a GINO ESB chest box. I hear they are pretty sweet. Not sure how much they go for though :confused

VFF

Originally posted by vaderfanforever@Jan 28 2006, 12:43 AM
I would like my next piece to be a GINO ESB chest box. I hear they are pretty sweet. Not sure how much they go for though  :confused

VFF
[snapback]1170187[/snapback]​

Usually around $400-$450 plus shipping as far as I remember.

Originally posted by DarthKahnt+Jan 28 2006, 07:06 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DarthKahnt @ Jan 28 2006, 07:06 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-vaderfanforever
@Jan 28 2006, 12:43 AM
I would like my next piece to be a GINO ESB chest box. I hear they are pretty sweet. Not sure how much they go for though  :confused

VFF
[snapback]1170187[/snapback]​

Usually around $400-$450 plus shipping as far as I remember.
[snapback]1170295[/snapback]​
[/b]
You want accuracy, then GINO stuff is worth the money, in my humble opinion. I remember when he first started producing runs of his chest box and the puddle of drool on my shirt at the first pics. Amazing...

Oh, and on the subject of GT armor being snug, yeah, I feel that if I deeply inhale it will explode. It is not made for the broad chested of us out there.

Originally posted by DARTH ANIBAL@Jan 26 2006, 10:27 PM
^^I'd REALLY like to see that. Where'd you get it from decaturvader? PM me, please.
[snapback]1169038[/snapback]​

My armor came in Friday and I am quite satisfied. I have a couple things I am gonna mod before I wear it, but here are some pics of it on my mannequin:

gt2006a.jpg

gt2006b.jpg

gt2006c.jpg

gt2006d.jpg

On my mod agenda:
1) I like "D" rings on the underside to support my chest computer. It makes it much easier for me to wear, easier to get dressed and keeps alignment perfect at all times.

2) The pre-mounted cape hook is a bit farther down the armor than I want, but I knew that going in. I like my chain short because it keeps my cape collar tight around my mask. Having it my way with the hook farther down, it makes it harder to get on. I am pondering the notion of cutting about a half inch off the end of the hook to shorten it. Figure i can cover the armor real good with heavey board and just use a cut wheel on my dremil then de-burr it with a sanddrum. I dunno..still pondering :p

3) As near perfect the bells align, they still slip and slide around. They attach by heavy-duty velcro in the upper center. I really wish I could build a tough hinge system as on the ROTS official armor. I gotta find a solution to keep perfect alignment because it will start scratching the paint if i don't. On my first gen GT armor, I matched up the bells best I could, and fiberglassed em on the bottom side to make it all one piece. That worked pretty good for me, but I realy don't want to resort to that with this new armor, so I am open to suggestions from other Vaders.

I have the maker's okay if you would like this armor, PM me.

Cheers
Chad

...get some thin foam tape or even electrical tape and trim & stick it to the edge of the shoulder bell that meets the edge of the armor....that should protect it enough from chipping. If you take a look at screen caps where you can see Vader's armor bells.....you can see the bells hardly ever lined up.....

...here they're riding under the chest armor....

PDVD_014.jpg

....same here...bell seems to be sliding forward as well....

PDVD_003.jpg

....kinda wonky here as well....

PDVD_006.jpg

....I'm sure that they got all chipped to hell while filming.... :p

All PM's replied too :)

Thanks Kev for the tip. Yeah, I am one of those Vaders who is just a little OC. I've had too many pictures taken where this and that was a little crooked and left me saying to myself, "Dang, I wish I could do that one over."
With those bells, it just drives me nuts thinking that one side will always look different than the other. "IF" I could trust that both bells will always fall under the armor in the front as they appear in those Vader screencaps you provided, then I could be okay. I could line the underside of the main chest piece with felt to protect against chipping the bell's paint.

Another thing about this new armor is the size. Since I am not Prowse height, it always bugged me about belt-->chest pc--->chest armor placement. I liked having the chest pc very close to my armor and leave those extra inches stay between the belt buckle and pc. With this armor, it is about an inch or so longer and takes away some of that buffer. Nobody but me will probably notice :D

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back