Greetings, My first post!

Khunez

Hello Hunters!
This is my first post after reading as many posts until my eyes bleed. Learned a lot so far.
So I am going to make a whole suit from scratch. I want it to be fully functioning(mandibles, swivel cannon, hud on my arm that controls certain things, Laser target, and the wrist blades)
Im going to start with the mask so if any of you know any "must reads" shoot me a link.

I have several years professional digital sculpting. Starting to get back into traditional and thought this will be a fun and rewarding project. Here is some of my work if your interested in taking a gander.
http://joshcoons.blogspot.com/

Had a few noob questions that i didn't come across in my travels through the forum...yet

1. I want to cast the armor pieces from sculpts, what is popular for the cast? Looking for a durable plastic type resin.
2. What site online are you guys getting your sculpting supplies? I found a few but haven't ordered yet.
3. whats better. sculpt mandibles open, closed, or mid-range?
4. Should i work off of a life cast or do a cast of my face for the mask?
5. Any must have links appreciated

Dont want to ask too much but any tips are appreciated.

Hello Josh.welcome aboard bud :(
I really like thta sagat of yours ..it's fing menacing!
I let the experts chime in about some of your questions.
As for the mandibles I would go with the closed ones only if you're are planing on having the mask and bio combo. otherwise it's up to you really.whatever youpersonal choice is.there's no wrong choice
glad to see another texan on board :eek:
ttys
Lem

1. I want to cast the armor pieces from sculpts, what is popular for the cast? Looking for a durable plastic type resin.
2. What site online are you guys getting your sculpting supplies? I found a few but haven't ordered yet.
3. whats better. sculpt mandibles open, closed, or mid-range?
4. Should i work off of a life cast or do a cast of my face for the mask?
5. Any must have links appreciated

Dont want to ask too much but any tips are appreciated.

hey dude welcome.

some answers to your questions.

1. i use Monstermakers polyurethane resin, alot of people use Smooth-On, and some just fiberglass
2. http://www.monstermakers.com/ .... http://www.smooth-on.com/ .......
3. this is your own preference. closed if you want to put a bio over it.
4. you can use anything for a sculpting armature. a head meant for it or your own life cast are best. the closer to a humans head the better. your dimensions will be better.
5. see answer 2

cheers!

Hello Josh.welcome aboard bud :(
I really like thta sagat of yours ..it's fing menacing!
I let the experts chime in about some of your questions.
As for the mandibles I would go with the closed ones only if you're are planing on having the mask and bio combo. otherwise it's up to you really.whatever youpersonal choice is.there's no wrong choice
glad to see another texan on board :eek:
ttys
Lem

Thanks man! he was my last personal project.

hey dude welcome.

some answers to your questions.

1. i use Monstermakers polyurethane resin, alot of people use Smooth-On, and some just fiberglass
2. http://www.monstermakers.com/ .... http://www.smooth-on.com/ .......
3. this is your own preference. closed if you want to put a bio over it.
4. you can use anything for a sculpting armature. a head meant for it or your own life cast are best. the closer to a humans head the better. your dimensions will be better.
5. see answer 2

cheers!
thanks for the tips all.

so the rule is. make the mask closed if i want a bio helm option(which i do)
but what if i want to wear the helm and have working mandibles?

I was thinking if i make the mask semi open and then use something after the fact to hold the mandibles shut then the bio helm would work out?

I think im going to get one of those generic life cast busts off of monster makers. thanks for the links, im going to start ordering my supplies.

I see you have mentioned working mandibles a few times. Do you already have an idea/system in place for this or are you planning on purchasing something? If you plan on purchasing then your going to have a hard time finding it. To my knowledge there is no system out there that really "works". Welcome to the boards and hope to see your progress.

I see you have mentioned working mandibles a few times. Do you already have an idea/system in place for this or are you planning on purchasing something? If you plan on purchasing then your going to have a hard time finding it. To my knowledge there is no system out there that really "works". Welcome to the boards and hope to see your progress.

Im not going to purchase anything. I want to do the whole suit from scratch.

I looked up that hair clip method but I think im going to try something more elaborate. I don't like the idea of biting down on a hair clip. Im thinking something more automated. Might try something animatronic. Plus i didnt like the metal rods on the outside of the mask. probably will do animatronic for the mouth, cannon, and blades.

well if you can get a working mandible system going, you'll probably have to beat people off with a stick : p. Good luck with everything.

well if you can get a working mandible system going, you'll probably have to beat people off with a stick : p. Good luck with everything.
thanks! Im going to try my hardest.

Going to scoop some clay up this weekend and get started. going to start with the mask. Trying to figure out if i want the neck rings to be a part of that or a separate piece. i was thinking about a bone neck brace piece, ive always liked that look.

So if i started my suit and want to start i guess a "build thread" where is the most appropriate place to post that?

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back