Green Ranger Pepakura Build

Valon

Hey guys! I decided to take a break from my Loki build to work on something a little different.

I had the Green Ranger Helmet pepakura file from Dungbeetle and decided to take a shot at it.
GR1.jpg

After putting the file together I seen that there was quite a bit of detail missing, but that's why they made bondo, right?
GR2.jpgGR 3.jpg

Once I finished some filling in it was time to work on the details.
Here's a comparison of the two sides. The left photo is the cut down silver area where the teeth would be. As you can see, the right photo flared out too much and didn't look right.
GR6.jpgGR5.jpg

That's all I have so far. I'm working on cutting it and placing a hinge and the clips/closures. Hope you guys like it! If you see something that might not look right please point it out!

Thanks!

Great work on the detailing there. I'm going to be attempting a similar build. I have a couple of green ranger helmet pep files. One is better than the other.

We don't have bondo here in the UK so I'm going to use a similar polyester based car filler. This will be my 1st attempt so I'm looking for a few pointers.

When building up the pepakura which type of glue do you use?

How much fibreglass did you use to enable it to be smoothed?

When sculpting bondo do you allow it to completely dry then sculpt or do you leave it to semi harden then sculpt whilst it's still drying?

An finally how many layers do you build up before sculpting to allow for a smooth and sculptable surface?

Any help would be awesome.

Good luck on your build it's looking amazing!!

Last edited:
Great work on the detailing there. I'm going to be attempting a similar build. I have a couple of green ranger helmet pep files. One is better than the other.

We don't have bondo here in the UK so I'm going to use a similar polyester based car filler. This will be my 1st attempt so I'm looking for a few pointers.

When sculpting bondo do you allow it to completely dry then sculpt or do you leave it to semi harden then sculpt whilst it's still drying?

An finally how many layers do you build up before sculpting to allow for a smooth and sculptable surface?

Wow! that's a lot of good questions. I will try to answer these as best as I can.

1.) If you are talking about when the pepakura is in paper form and you need to glue the tabs, then i just use good ole fashion Elmer's glue. I do know a lot of people like to use either super glue or hot glue, but I always liked Elmer's because its easy to wash off your hands and gives you a little time to work with it.

2.) Normally when I am laying down fiberglass I will do at least two times. Before you start any fiberglass work please always remember safety first, I don't want anyone to get hurt from this. Also, look around the rpf pages, they will have a lot better tips for you.

3.) hmmm...this one is a little tricky... What I like to do is wait until the bondo (or whatever you can find that's like bondo) is completely harden. This makes it easier to shape and also wont gum up your sanding tools. ( Sand Paper, Dremel Bits, ect ect ect)

4.) To be honest with you, it always works to put on a coat around the file your using, then sand it down till its smooth. Before you do any detail work onto whatever it is you want to work on you have to smooth out your base first, once you do that then you can start working on the fun stuff.

I do hope this helped in your build, and I do look forward to seeing how yours comes out. Also! a few good tips for you, get a good dremel tool (one can be picked up from any hardware store), get a good sanding block, get a nice sized range of sand paper ( the lower grit is more course and works better to smooth out the harder spots), and last but not least, have some good music to listen to...your going to be there for a while....

Good luck!

Hey guys! Sorry it's been a while since I posted, I've been pretty busy with work and whatnot, but I have more progress to share!
IMG_20140323_180546.jpgIMG_20140323_180605.jpgIMG_20140323_180635.jpg
As you can see, I got the hinge to work inside the helmet. I ended up combining two gate hinges to basically create a Z hinge. I have to admit that it works wonderfully. You don't see the hinge from the outside of the helmet and the back plate doesn't hit the peak of the helmet at all. I took some Sintra/Plastic around the inside seam so that way it sits the way it should and doesn't move around much.

1398636_10202625289247700_1913521345_o.jpg1520659_10202625290247725_1148749852_n.jpg
Here it is with a base prime to let me see it all in one color (which helps a lot). I put the bottom clasps on the outside to make it more (American) show accurate. The teeth and diamond are all shaped Sintra/Plastic.

I still have more work to do, but this gives a better idea of what's left (spot putty, fixing the mouth, etc.). So far I think it's coming out pretty nice for being a larger helmet.

Thanks for checking this out! Til next time!

Wow Valon

I need to start by saying that the work your doing with the pep is the best I've ever seen. Since starting to look at options for an economy green ranger build I have seen a lot of pepakura projects that still look like peps, really sloppy builds but this is the 1st one that I've encountered that could actually pass as a screen accurate sculpt. This is certainly what i aim for. Secondly I'd like to thank you for your pointers. I know my end product will not be as good as yours but this will be my 1st attempt, phase 1 if you like so i hope to learn from any mistakes i make on this and better my future work.

I have printed off pep file and currently constructing it.. its by far perfect as the glue i could get hold of saturated the card stock so making it sturdy to fold was quite difficult but i hope to rectify some if the issues with bondo equivalent. I'll get some pics up soon.

Thanks again for your kind help. I can't wait to see your finished build.

DragonZord

Wow, thank you for the kind words! I hope to see your helmet soon! If you need any help just let me know if you need any help.

Now I know i haven't posted in a while and I am really sorry about that, I just haven't had the time due to personal life getting in the way. But I do have a quick shot of the helmet and I hope you guys like it. I will try and take better ones once the helmet it all complete.
10259923_10202895258476762_1260345757055095820_n.jpg 10308225_10202894161809346_3556344498037695349_n.jpg

Also! My lovely wife loved the work that I put into my green ranger that she "talked" me into making a pink ranger for her. So here it is!

10269039_10202900767374481_3609748604238917576_o.jpg 10336657_10202900767694489_3710322892268228664_n.jpg

I ended up putting the same style hinge that I used in my green ranger build. Well, that's all I have for now, hope to see you soon!

Last edited:
Thank you for the kind words!
The way I made the teeth is very easy. Once the "mouth" was smoothed out and reshaped I just made a quick template for the teeth, then with a few scraps of sintra that I had laying around I formed them into the mouth. Hope that helps.

alright bud,

1. i got all my bits from halfords. instead of bondo use isopon p38, and the david's fibreglass kit.

2. i used cheap poundland superglue for pep bits.

3. fibreglass on the underside of pep model after 2 coats of resin on both sides.

4. if you make sure your pep model is a smooth and bump free as possible, you will only need enough to fill low spots and then a covering over the helmet. as sanding takes place you can spot areas that may need a little more.

5. unless your making something like a magneto helmet, all one surface, do not cover the whole thing at once its hard to finds the edges underneath and looks sloppy. do it in stages.

6. handy extras - filler primer and knifing putty. from halfords

hope this helps

ps check this vid out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPvCR2osKT8&index=4&list=PL43D27B96B86684A9
its an iron man build at the bondo stage but check the profile for the whole build playlist starting at pep.

Hey guys! I decided to take a break from my Loki build to work on something a little different.

I had the Green Ranger Helmet pepakura file from Dungbeetle and decided to take a shot at it.
View attachment 301900

After putting the file together I seen that there was quite a bit of detail missing, but that's why they made bondo, right?
View attachment 301901View attachment 301902

Once I finished some filling in it was time to work on the details.
Here's a comparison of the two sides. The left photo is the cut down silver area where the teeth would be. As you can see, the right photo flared out too much and didn't look right.
View attachment 301903View attachment 301904

That's all I have so far. I'm working on cutting it and placing a hinge and the clips/closures. Hope you guys like it! If you see something that might not look right please point it out!

Thanks!
Hey would you happen to first have the file for it and also where is the website you got this from.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back