Green Ranger Dragon Dagger Help!

zoicno

I am trying to make the Green Ranger Dragon Dagger... but i am stuck at the Blade part... i am not really sure how to make it....

In the linkara green ranger dagger tutorial..
Green Ranger Dagger Tutorial

the women that explain what she did... said it so fast... and didn't really show step by step what she did ... so i can't tell what she did..

CAn someone explain to me step by step how to make the blade?

Re: Styrene Sheet?

Check local sign companies. They go through sheet plastic like crazy, and you may even get some scraps free

I am not 100% sure wut type of Styrene Sheet i need... they never clearly said in the video... and there are like alot of different ones (saw these sites when i was googleing around MrBugSlayer)

How do you work with it as well? Id love to know the kinds and tools needed as well. Can this thread be for styrine newbies? Lol:facepalm

It's just thin plastic sheeting. You can get it in varying thicknesses. You can cut it with a hobby knife, bend and shape it with heat, and sand it with paper or a dremel...

Well, since this is my tutorial, I can help a little bit.

The bad news is that from what I've seen, styrene is not really something you find in craft stores or the like. There's a post above that explains some online places to get it.

As an alternative, while not made of plastic and therefore not quite as sturdy, posterboard would work as a covering for the dagger.

Linkara Do you think stencil sheet will work? ( when i was in craft store they said this is the closes thing they have)

... also... the video never said what glue u used to glue everything together? (like did she use hot glue to glue the blade stuff together) do you just use hot glue to glue everything?

and lastly did she use Marine Tex Epoxy Putty? The video never said which type of Epoxy Putty you used.. so that is my best guess?

Zoinco, the important thing to remember in making ANY prop is that there is never just one way to make anything. It should come down to what materials you are personally most comfortable with.

While Linkara and the Prop Lady may have used posterboard, foamcore, and styrene, personally, I would rather make a flat blade in the shape of the overall blade out of styrene and build Apoxie Sculpt up on top of it to get the shape and detailing of the blade right. Someone else might make the blade out of foam, others might make it out of paper and pour casting resin inside, still others might sculpt it separately out of clay and mold it and cast it to make a resin copy of it.

There are a million-and-one ways to make every prop, start playing around with techniques, and soon you'll see which ones work best for you...and THAT should be the method you use.

And if you want a cheap, easy source of styrene: go to Home Depot and buy some of their "for sale" signs usually put in car/house windows.

-Nick

PS: When in doubt, Gorilla Glue is always a good glue to try first. The stuff will stick just about anything to just about anything else.

Ok i finally found Styrene Sheet But i still don't know what type of Epoxy Putty was used? the only ones i can find in store are the stick ones and they don't look like the ones that were in the video at all... and the stick ones are alot of money..

Once again, don't feel like you have to follow the tutorial exactly. Find things that work for you!

Try using Apoxie Sculpt. It's a two part, air hardening clay, that can be shaped and sanded with wood-working tools when cured.

Just start experimenting. If you expect to get things perfect the first time around, you'll be disappointed. Every prop is a learning experience. We ALL mess up, it's about learning lessons so that you can keep improving as your progress.

-Nick

What the good Mr. Fox said. A lot of this stuff is just trial and error and experimenting around. I will say that a lot of hot glue was used for some parts of it, but hot glue is not always the best adhesive for some situations.

If you're dedicated to trying to make it the same way, I'm sorry to say I don't recall the name of the epoxy putty (mostly because it was the Prop Lady's stuff and not mine, never can get epoxy putty to work right for me), so it'd probably be best to go with NickFox's recommendation.

I will say that a lot of hot glue was used for some parts of it, but hot glue is not always the best adhesive for some situations.

Just to jump off of this quickly, one of the more interesting applications of hot glue, is to run a bead of it over the surface of your prop and paint over it once cooled to create interesting surface effects like some of the small embellishments on the handle of the dagger.

One of these days, I've got to get around to attempting a Dragon Dagger of my own.

Zoicno, good luck with this project. The best advise anyone ever gave me was just to get started. If you run into issues once you start, it's that much easier to help you so we can see what you're good at and what you've already done. Consider it prop-making GPS. It's easier to tell you the next turn you should take, than trying to tell you all of the turns in the beginning and hope you remember them all.

Can't wait to see your progress!

-Nick

Hm.. well i made the blade part... but i realize i did it wrong -__-...

IMG_6445.jpg

( i took it off of the pvc pipe part since i need to re do the whole thing anyways)

and i know it should look like this

SPECIALGreenRangerDaggerTutorialAtoptheFourthWallonBlipmp4_snapshot_0530_20120501_051454.jpg

I am not really sure what i did wrong... or i guess more like how i should make the blade part where the Styrene part will meet in the middle...

In the video is the first step to cut out just the body and not the edge of the blade and then glue poster board on it? or is it... cut the shap of the whole blade (including the edge?) ... i am so confused...

In the video, it appears that they used a piece of posterboard as a guide. (Linkara, feel free to correct this)

The posterboard was cut to shape and glued to the center of the main shaft. Then, thin strips of foam core board were glued on either side of the poster board, touching the shaft, in order to give some dimension to the center of the blade. A single piece of styrene was put on the top as well as the bottom, and the edges glued together, coming to a point. Because there was foam core board against the shaft, it lifted the center of it, creating the shape of the blade.

Then they just refined the shape from there.

I'm glad you took the leap though. Just getting out there and trying things out really is the best way to learn.

Keep going!

-Nick

So another mest up...

IMG_6446.jpg

this hotglue thing and... guessing ... is not turning out very good...

and Fox ... this is the first time i done anything like this... and i am unemployed right now...

and i never used Apoxie Sculpt or any type of at less this level of sculpting/Putty before...

I don't really have that much money to be able to spend if i can't make it work after a few times... (thoguh from the blade thing it seems like i may have to end up trying it your way, cuss ... well i already did it twice and is to much guessing games for me...)

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back