Green Lantern rings

Discussion in 'DC Costumes and Props' started by Cenobyte, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Cenobyte

Cenobyte Sr Member

Have a friend that is looking for a Green Lantern ring and thought here would be the best place to find out.

Thank you for any information.

2. franz bolo

franz bolo Sr Member

HERE is a link to a guy that has a bunch of super hero rings.

As far as accurate, I don't think these are dead on at all, but I'm not sure what you are looking for.

FB

3. slave1pilot

slave1pilot Sr Member

4. hydin

hydin Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

honus is who you seek.

makes a hell of a GL ring (the one that timdrake redid to do the EL bit).

great value, and a hell of a shipper. had the ring in my greedy paws in about 4 days. not too shabby considering it included a sunday.

chris

5. DuneMuadDib

DuneMuadDib Sr Member

I've been looking for one too. Problem is that sterling silver turns my finger green (not necessarily bad given context, but I still would rather avoid that). No one seems to make white gold or fitted plastic ones. Don't want any cheapo plastic ones.

6. Adar Tallon

Adar Tallon New Member

Which ring are you looking for? Alan Scott? Hal Jordan? Kyle Raynar?

7. DuneMuadDib

DuneMuadDib Sr Member

Kyle or maybe a Hal.

8. rocketeer25

rocketeer25 Sr Member

Honus did an awesome job on the different GL rings... don't know if he still does them.

I love mine. :)

Lonnie

9. Cenobyte

Cenobyte Sr Member

I forwarded this link to him to take a look.

Thank you all :)

10. Zaphod

Zaphod Well-Known Member

11. synasp

synasp Sr Member

A friend of mine wants a Hal Jordan ring. I'm not sure what people have made, but lets see some pics.

12. Megatron

Megatron Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

If you can wait later this year I could help again with an alloy that will not turn your fingers green. Or even the GREEN rings again

[​IMG]

13. synasp

synasp Sr Member

Can wait. Thanks very much. :)

14. Megatron

I can't wait to get back

it will be worth the wait..

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  15. Watson

Watson Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Here is a very poor picture of the Rings that Plo ran that were done by Honus. Doesn't get any better than this, and is far and away one of my favorite props.

[​IMG]

16. Trallis

Trallis Well-Known Member

there was a guy here who did a good glowing one, i think the thread is long gone though.. its the guy who made a really good robin costume

17. TimDrakeRobin

TimDrakeRobin Sr Member

yea, that would be me lol. They are not yet ready for mass production, The Electronic aspects are not yet as refined as I would like them to be. Here is the complete light up EL GL Ring.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. synasp

synasp Sr Member

any way to make these with super-bright LEDs?

19. TimDrakeRobin

TimDrakeRobin Sr Member

Nope all the super bright LED ones can only glow in the center of the ring, otherwise you would have to make the ring sit up off of your finger. Plus once the LED burns out you are screwed, EL doesnt burn out, heat up nothing. And you can get them very bright depending on the power you have going to it. The ring above hase 2 AAs and thats it, it's pretty bright as is. a 9v would be super bright.

20. Megatron

EL will loose its glow over time and to exposure. As to how long depends on many factors.

21. IronFist

IronFist Well-Known Member

That's exactly the style ring I've been looking for. So, Honus is the person to pester about his, you say?

22. Zaphod

Zaphod Well-Known Member

TimDrakeRobin,
    That's very cool .

23. CanadianKnight

CanadianKnight New Member

Very cool indeed. I'd love one of these light-up ones when you perfect it. :D

24. TimDrakeRobin

TimDrakeRobin Sr Member

I have heard that, but I have had this ringe done for well over a year and it is just as bright as it was whwnI first made it. And in any case the EL sheet for the ring is out of a "soft glow" nightlight from walmart, so if anything happens to it, it only cost $2 bucks to fix. hehe.

25. Egon Spengler

Egon Spengler Sr Member

What did you use to change the power supply source of the soft glow el sheet?

26. J.Max

J.Max Well-Known Member

OK, I own about 40 GL rings, so I should be able to help a bit...

Honus - His stuff is super cool, although I've never liked the idea of painting the rings. I have a complete set of these, and they are very accurate to the Silver Age representaion of Hal's ring, the Alan is very much like the ring shown in All-American no 16, and the Kyle is a bit of a custom. Really good quality materials...don't know if he still makes them though.

Coldfuel157 (eBay) - Good rings, although he is typically slow to ship them. I helped design one of his rings (I suggested the design), so I'm a little biased. Get the "master alloy" though and not the silver because the silver dents very easily (it's soft). The two best are his "color change" and the single band Kyle. Avoid the "metallicagreen" because the enamel will eventually come off. He has other designs, but I'm not sure if he is still making them.

Sombrafuentes (eBay) - Decent rings, but not accurate (not intended to be accurate as far as I know). The quality is good (although not as good as the Honus or Coldfuel) and he makes a lot of different designs. I'd suggest the acrylic Kyle or the clear Hal as the nicest. His stuff is also very inexpensive. His shipping is VERY fast, and his customer service is terrific. If you must paint your rings, Sombrafuente's rings tend to "take" paint better than anyone elses, probably due to the materials that he uses.

Megatron - His ring is awesome. It's made out of anodized aluminum, and it's the only one I know of that is actually done that way. Very light also. His design isn't quite as elaborate as some of the others, but still nice. I clear coated mine and it looks great that way.

Official DC rings - The only one of these that is really suitable for wearing is the green three-band Kyle. It's a great ring, but you'll pay quite a bit for it. Honus's and Coldfuel's are of comparable quality. Avoid the "Planet Krypton" set and the mini-busts if you actually want to wear the ring. They're made of a cheap metal and the green enamel comes off easily. I haven't seen one of the new official ones yet.

Feel free to ask me any questions...

27. Megatron

thanks but I can't take credit for the design. The design can be what ever some one wants. Another note:that was the first time I made Anodized Aluminum rings and I know how to make them better next time. My supplier did not even know what the ring was made out of untill I told him and he thought it was cool to see Anodized Aluminum used for jewelry.

love to see some pics of your collection

28. TimDrakeRobin

TimDrakeRobin Sr Member

I bought a pair of EL Flashing Sunglasses from Walmart and I cut the power box of of it and attatched new wires from the box to the Cut EL sheet from the night light. Then I added a green transluscent tape over it and then, slid it under the ring that is green transluscent resin. and Voila.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. Jack T Chance

Jack T Chance Sr Member

I haven't posted on this forum in years, but I had to comment on this! For YEARS I've thought that someone ought to make GL rings out of anodized aluminum or titanium, so that the color would be more durable, for a better wearable ring that's actually green! :cool:thumbsup

EDIT: Was originally looking for pictures of the rings in question, finally found some pics. :cool

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  30. Megatron

years ago.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  31. Jack T Chance

Jack T Chance Sr Member

I posted my interest on the new thread you started about the rings. :)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2008
  32. Jack T Chance

Jack T Chance Sr Member

I'm bumping this thread back up due to an idea I had that I wanted to bounce off of my fellow RPFers: Should we use this thread for general discussion of all the various power rings seen in the pages of Green Lantern? :confused

One of the topics about GL rings over in the Junkyard has gotten slightly derailed by an ongoing discussion about the designs of the various power rings. Should we move such general power ring discussions to this thread? What do you all think? :confused

EDIT: Okay, gonna try this...

these are the posts from the Junkyard thread, the beginnings of the current discussion about power rings. Apologies if the formatting is a bit weird at first, I'll get it all sorted out in fairly short order. Might take me a couple tries to get it to the point of looking "right", so bear with me during any "speed bumps".
    *whew!* There. That should make the discussion easier to follow for those that haven't read the topic in the Junkyard. :)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  33. Megatron

good ideal...
    is your new avatar pic a hint of what you want next hehehe

34. J.Max

J.Max Well-Known Member

Here...I'll move the discussion over here. I've sold about half of my rings, but I still have a few. A few mini-reviews of some others I've owned: (The people that I'm naming don't make rings anymore or are 100% licensed, so I don't feel bad about posting their names.)

Parks - Didn't like these at all. They have open bands, which makes them easy to fit, but not fun to wear, and they feel more like a toy than a prop replica of any kind.

Honus - The best ones ever, so far. I wish I could get another Hal from him. If anyone has pictures of these, please post them. Awesome, awesome, awesome.

Coldfuel/GLKing/Metalphene - This guy is questionable, but he makes pretty rings. His website has changed at least three times this year. He still owes me a ring from two years ago, and I'm not the only one, so draw your own conclusions. As noted above, they are also soft and get beat up easily and quickly. He supposedly makes a stainless stell version which is probably better, but I've never known anyone that has one. I don't know where he is or how to get in touch with him, so please don't ask.

Arrobasilver - The new ArrobaSilver rings are fantastic quality. They are more jewelry than props, but definitely worth checking out. I really like the Hal signet ring, Alan ring, and his new Kyle-style ring. The class rings don't really float my boat, but YMMV. His build quality is great, the silver isn't nearly as soft as it used to be, and they're officially licensed.

FWIW, I wear a ring made by an unknown maker...I THINK Jack T. Chance here has the matching Sinestro ring, which is sort of ironic.

35. J.Max

J.Max Well-Known Member

Oh, and my dream ring is a Hal style made from jade stone. Now THAT would be cool.

36. DerekH

DerekH New Member

Well, according to Jack this is a pretty good rendition of the GL Corps ver2 ring.

[​IMG]

Here is my latest project that I am working on. The current "Hal" style signet ring. (In some of the pictures it looks like the symbol is crooked, it isn't, I just took the pictures at a bad angle.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am currently trying to find a place to cast them in silver, as well as see about getting the steel ones powder coated (possibly with tinted transparent inlays maybe with color appropriate GITD powder worked in).

37. J.Max

J.Max Well-Known Member

Very nice!

38. Jack T Chance

Jack T Chance Sr Member

Maybe. :D

I mean, it IS my favorite version of the GL ring, and that's because it's the style Hal Jordan was wearing when I first started reading GL. This is the first issue I ever bought:

[​IMG]

I was already aware of GL thanks to Superfriends, but when I saw that issue on the news stand, I HAD to pick it up! I mean, how could I resist? A superhero QUITTING IN DISGUST because he was sick of taking crap from his bosses? That was something you just didn't see every day! :cool

You'll notice, of course, which ring he's throwing on the ground as he's telling the Guardians to "take this job and shove it!" ;)
    I was given one of their Alan Scott rings as a gift. One of my ex-girlfriends gave it to me, and the fact that she gave me a GL ring just proves how good that one was at paying attention to the things I liked. It's okay... but I've never even had it expanded out to a size 10 so I could wear it. It really just sits in a jewelry box with a couple other rings I have in my collection, but don't wear.
    Well, you know, you COULD take pictures of yours and post 'em! ;)

I know this one's his, because he posted a picture of it in his famous (on the interwebz, anyway) How to Make a Green Lantern Ring Instructable...

[​IMG]

As for any others from him, someone else will have to post those pics.
    Ironically, just today, I found a slip of paper I have with his real name and mailing address (as of the time when I got 2 rings from him, at any rate) on it!

But no, I can't recommend getting rings from him. He's done some FANTASTIC work, especially his latest ring designs, but he's just not reliable. If he would just improve his work ethic when it comes to his ring-making business, he'd be one of the best around. Sadly, he's burned too many people over the years to have much of a chance of turning things around. He's probably received a perma-ban from eBay as a result of his shenanigans.
    Speaking only for myself, and I am unanimous in this... I LOVE my Arroba Silver GL Class Ring! :)

But then again, I've often said that if I were a GL, while in my "secret identity", I'd have my power ring disguise itself as a more ordinary ring, like a class ring! So when I saw Arroba's then new design on eBay, I had to have it! :)

BTW, mine is a "pre-license" version. I'd be interested to see pictures of one of the ones they produce now, because the stone on mine is a very, very light green. The pictures of the new version on their website make it look as if the stone is darker now, but I'm curious to find out if that's the case on the real thing.
    What, this old thing?

[​IMG]

My own... my preciousss... :)

BTW, the maker was an ebay seller that was active in the first half of this decade. Called his business GC Designs, Inc, if I remember correctly. Sadly, I no longer remember his real name. Great stuff, but the last time he sold any was 2004. He had spent some time pursuing a license with DC Comics, but unlike Arroba Silver, he was not able to secure said license. I'm sure they gave him a C&D after turning him down. Either that, or he stopped making the rings on his own in anticipation of eventually getting a C&D. At any rate, I was sad to see him exit the business. Great guy, and a great craftsman, too.
    Honestly, I *think* I've seen photos of just such a ring once upon a time. Didn't look as cool as I thought it would. It's because jade is such a light shade of green.
    Yep, that it is. :):thumbsup
    Can't wait to see the final result of this project! :cool

P.S. Edited my earlier post to add in the important posts from the thread in the Junkyard, to make it easier to follow the discussion for those that might have missed the thread over there. :)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  39. Haywire

Haywire Well-Known Member

Man, how cool is that GL ring that lights up!? That is amazing.

40. DerekH

DerekH New Member

Yeah, I have been back more than a few times to check it out. Wish we had some better pictures of it though.

Me and a friend had discussed doing something similar, but I had no idea anyone had ever done that before. Looks awesome.

41. Dave Porter

Dave Porter Sr Member

Instructionables has a tutorial on that.

It wouldn't be hard do make one light up with a small LED.

42. DerekH

DerekH New Member

Making a GL ring light up with an LED has been done by numerous individuals. (I actually have some on the schedule at my LCS to get made.)

The one with the electro-luminescent lighting (from the first page) is what I was referring to. I would love to see some better pictures of how that went together and how it was wired up.

43. J.Max

J.Max Well-Known Member

Hey Jack! That is the same ring I have...except mine's Hal's GL ring, instead of Sinestro. I used to have Kyle and Alan versions made by him also...the Alan was incredible, but the Kyle sucked.

My Honus rings, along with most of my others were stolen or sold. I kept a few things and I'm starting to rebuild a bit.

44. velmc1

velmc1 New Member

I love the Honus GL ver.2 ring. Just wish it had a band with no ridges. The render that Jack showed us is perfect. Still i look for a perfect Hal ring. GL King's was as close as you can get. As is Megatron's.

45. Megatron

that will be resolved....:ninja

46. DerekH

DerekH New Member

Are you talking about the signet, or the "kyle" style? (I know, it was out 18 years before, but I want to be clear.)

Which render? The one I put up?

Megatron, I don't know how you are doing your stuff, but if you want that one to cast from, let me know, it is yours if you want it, no strings attached.

47. J.Max

J.Max Well-Known Member

He's talking about the Kyle style ring, which has ridges on the band. IIRC, I was in on that project too, and I think that we all actually requested the ridges after seeing a shot like that in one of the comics, but I can't remember which issue or artist.

48. Djinn

Djinn Well-Known Member

Wow, I haven't seen this thread in years.

Yea, I know of two more people that he owes rings to as well. But there seems to be one guy on another board he will contact and send merchandise to everytime for some reason.

49. J.Max

J.Max Well-Known Member

He's still a terrible seller. He's also made some...dubious...claims that just REEK of scammer. Avoid.

50. velmc1

velmc1 New Member

Was that you? If so my friend i apologize!:$. And originally i was talking about the signet style rings.