Green Lantern Leather Jacket

I am in the middle of an interesting project this week, a Green Lantern leather jacket! Let's get down to it!

318243_424233477592143_152442214771272_1907371_2136538815_n.jpg

This is my mockup.

561920_440171859331638_152442214771272_1953495_151668026_n.jpg

This is the back of the jacket in progress.

150905_441036725911818_152442214771272_1955794_140065962_n.jpg

This is the bottom of one of the sleeves.

The exterior of the jacket is all lambskin leather in black, dark green, and black perforated. I've also included some spandex panels at the sides and underarm areas.

That's about it for now. I hope to have more pictures this week. Thanks for looking.

Looks amazing! Excellent craftsmanship! Sewing leather is somewhat of a holy grail for me, as it's something I'd really love to learn how to do. You make it look really easy!

Any chance I can convince you to show pics of the back sides of those pieces, so I can get some insight into how you made your seams lay down so flat? Inquiring minds want to know!! :D

Looks amazing! Excellent craftsmanship! Sewing leather is somewhat of a holy grail for me, as it's something I'd really love to learn how to do. You make it look really easy!

Any chance I can convince you to show pics of the back sides of those pieces, so I can get some insight into how you made your seams lay down so flat? Inquiring minds want to know!! :D

Sure! I'll remember to take some pictures of the inside when I start work again tomorrow.

As a general rule for leather, you want to pound the seams flat with a mallet. At that point you can either glue the seams flat OR just topstitch them. I really like the look of topstitching, and since I've got a great machine for it, that is what I tend to go for. Also, I learned just about everything I know about sewing leather when I worked at a car upholstery place, so there is definitely a lot of that influence going on (*ahem* racing stripe on the sleeve and the extra long stitch lengths).

All of these seams have been pounded open so I can keep bulk down at intersecting seams.

305570_965950190937_2613228_39788576_354178801_n.jpg

As requested, here is the back side of one of the pieces with intersecting seams. I have some light interfacing on the back of both pieces.

561218_965947800727_2613228_39788538_373855260_n.jpg

This is the center top front and the shoulder pieces. I shaped the shoulder pieces a bit on my pressing ham with my iron/steam after sewing everything together.

I'm with Matt... I love seeing leather work get done. Can you post up a picture of the machine you use? I've been looking for something a little more heavy duty so I can attempt some leather work, but haven't had time to look into it yet.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread!

Thanks for sharing this! I'm interested in learning more about how to sew with leather, and this thread looks like it will be very helpful.

Im interested to see the progress of this. ive been playing with the idea of making a leather backpack. Great start!

Woah! Those pictures are VERY insightful! That really helps me understand your process a lot, and I really appreciate you taking the time to post them. That is immensely helpful! Thanks!

it looks really great so far! Can't wait to see more.

Can you post up a picture of the machine you use? I've been looking for something a little more heavy duty so I can attempt some leather work, but haven't had time to look into it yet.

Check out their facebook page. I don't want to repost information from there, as it's not mine to repost, but a recent post disclosed the sewing machines used, settings, threads, needles, ets. Really good stuff.

Check out their facebook page. I don't want to repost information from there, as it's not mine to repost, but a recent post disclosed the sewing machines used, settings, threads, needles, ets. Really good stuff.

Good looking out, Matt. That was a very useful post. Now as long as I don't lose the information... :lol

This looks absolutely fabulous and I admire the clean crisp lines of the tailoring, craftsmanship indeed!

Will be checking back eagerly for progress! :)

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back