Green Lantern gets "Extended Cut" for Blu-Ray

GeneralFROSTY

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I just read that the October 14th home video release of Green Lantern will include an "Extended Directors Cut" of the film.
No details on this yet, but I am hoping that many of the ommited scenes will better flesh out this movie to the state it SHOULD have been released theatrically.
Anyone have any more info on this?

So, the $60,000 Question is.... which big box retailer is going to get the "Exclusive" DVD edition of the Extended Cut? :confused

I don't think the EC will be exclusive to any one retailer - it looks to be including with all copies.
But I'm wondering if this will be a TRUE directors cut. As mentioned before, there were a LOT of scenes filmed that were ommited, making the movie suffer in areas it should have excelled in.
I hope we get some more info on this soon.

I hope the extended footage improves on the characters and their relationships. Honestly, the Corps got shafted big time.

Agreed.
This is also one of my hopes. If what we hear about the "shooting script" scenes are true, then hopefully we will have a more robust, character-driven story.

Better story or character won't make up for the absolute absurdity of his first 'heroic' act on earth was turning a crashing helicopter into a stupid looking dragster zooming away on a giant Hot Wheels track, give me a break - one of the dumbest concepts EVER done on film. And I was OK with the majority of the film, it wasn't spectacular, but it was fun - but that one scene - disgustipating!

Better story or character won't make up for the absolute absurdity of his first 'heroic' act on earth was turning a crashing helicopter into a stupid looking dragster zooming away on a giant Hot Wheels track, give me a break - one of the dumbest concepts EVER done on film. And I was OK with the majority of the film, it wasn't spectacular, but it was fun - but that one scene - disgustipating!

I think I read somewhere that there was a scene set up earlier in the movie that makes that scene have some more purpose and sense - something to do with his childhood? I don't remember where I read it.

I hope the extended footage improves on the characters and their relationships. Honestly, the Corps got shafted big time.
I'm hoping the GL: Director's Cut will follow the lead of the Daredevil reedit and turn a cinematic dud into a pleasant surprise. :)

I don't think the EC will be exclusive to any one retailer - it looks to be including with all copies.
But I'm wondering if this will be a TRUE directors cut. As mentioned before, there were a LOT of scenes filmed that were ommited, making the movie suffer in areas it should have excelled in.
I hope we get some more info on this soon.
I'm just going by what's happened with other "Blu-Ray only" extended cuts in the last year or 2. MOST stores will only have the theatrical cut on DVD (not Blu-Ray... I don't have a Blu-Ray player yet) but then ONE US big box retailer (such as Wal*Mart, Best Buy, or Target) will then be given the Extended Cut on DVD as a store exclusive, only sold through them! This is what happened with Terminator: Salvation when it had its DVD & Blu-Ray release, and there's been other recent releases where the same thing was done.

It's also worth noting that so far, the Extended Cut Blu-Ray release has ONLY been announced by Amazon.Co.UK for its UK/Region 2 release, as confirmed by The Digital Bits. Still no official word on when the Extended Cut will see release Stateside.

IGN.Com is now reporting that the Blu-Ray & DVD release in the US/Region 1 will be on October 14th, 2011, with a special surprise for gamers playing Batman: Arkham City on the PlayStation 3 console:
Green Lantern BD Offers Batman: Arkham City Surprise

DVD, Blu-ray, and Blu-ray 3D releases in the works for Lantern; PS3 access code unlocks Sinestro Corps Batman Skin for upcoming video game.

August 23, 2011

It's become second nature to expect not only one, but a plethora of superhero big screen flicks every year during the hottest months of the year. The latest in the long line of comic book movies to go from theater to your home theater is the DC Comics darling, Green Lantern. Warner Home Video and DC will be teaming up to deliver Green Lantern to DVD, Blu-ray, and Blu-ray 3D come October 14, 2011.

The film itself revolves around a test subject, of sorts: Hal Jordan (Ryan Reynolds), a cocky human who has been elected into the Green Lantern Corps, an intergalactic police force that keeps everything – and everyone – in check. Their dislike of humans takes a backseat to the more pressing matter of a dangerous new enemy coming to the forefront, Parallax. Jordan winds up – through his trials and tribulations – representing humanity at its finest.

The various combinations of releases are quite intricate. The Blu-ray 3D release will be your standard combo package, containing the 3D edition, the regular Blu-ray edition and a DVD copy of the superhero endeavor. The Blu-ray Combo Pack will hold the HD version and the DVD version, while the DVD release will contain only that particular rendition of the picture.

The UltraViolet Digital Copy, included on all DVD and Blu-ray discs of GL, will allow consumers to instantly stream the movie from a digital cloud to computers, tablets and smartphones.

Plus, the Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack and the Blu-ray Combo Pack will offer PS3 users an access code to unlock the Sinestro Corps Batman Skin for Batman: Arkham City. "The skin will give users the ability to fight crime with the help of the yellow power of fear, giving Batman a unique yellow costume in the story campaign and in the challenge maps," says a Warner Bros. press release.

The DVD will be available for the MSRP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price) of $28.98, while the Blu-ray will run at the MSRP of $35.99. If you are going for the gusto, you will be set back $40.99 for the Blu-ray 3D edition of the release.

The Blu-ray releases will feature the following bonus materials:
  • Extended Cut of the Film
  • Theatrical Cut of the Film
  • UltraViolet Digital Copy
  • Access code for Sinestro Corps Batman Skin for Batman: Arkham City (PS3 version only)
  • Maximum Movie Mode with Picture in Picture Pods
  • The Universe According to Green Lantern
  • Ryan Reynolds Becomes Green Lantern
  • Justice League #1 Digital Comic (Also on DVD)
  • Additional Scenes
  • Preview of Green Lantern: The Animated Series (Also on DVD)
  • BD-Live
Check out the box art below:

SOURCE
Sucks that the game code is only for the PS3 version! That's complete and utter RUBBISH! :angry:thumbsdown

Not down with the choice of cover art, but that is the 3D version so maybe they will use one of the other poster designs for the regular Blu-ray

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back