CrossfireProps

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm sure with the release of the No Way Home trailer yesterday (finally), many people are now looking to make some Pumpkin Bombs much like myself. I figured I'd start this thread to share references of the prop as the new version is nearly identical to the 2002 version. Here is what I have gathered so far:

First up are these great close ups of a screen used prop from an old Heritage Auctions listing.

Screen Used 1.jpg
Screen Used 2.jpg

Things that stand out for me here that I see missing on many replicas and 3D models are the eight metric button head screws centered on each textured section of the"petals".

Looking at the image with the stand, you can see the green inner sphere is two pieces going in the middle. There also appears to be some sort of slight ribbing or faint horizontal pattern.

If we're getting real nit picky, we can see the black pumpkin "leaves" are only painted on the top, with the sides of this raised detail being the metallic orange.

Second are images of the two officially licensed replicas from years ago. One from Gentle Giant, and the other from Unobtanium.

The Unobtanium version is based on the original Willem Dafoe Green Goblin, where as the Gentle Giant is based on James Franco's Green Goblin.

Unobtanium

Uno 1.jpg

In the below images you will find some measurements of the Unobtanium replica curtosey of Anthony Fletcher in the RPF Facebook group:

Mes 1.jpg
Mes 2.jpg
Mes 3.jpg

Gentle Giant

View attachment 1487508

On the Gentle Giant version you can see a visible seem in the middle. Whether this was part of the new 2007 props or just for ease of manufacturing I'm not sure, but from what I can tell it's not present on the Far From Home version.

Far From Home Differences

While the references we have from the trailer currently are very blurry, one thing I can tell is that the green illuminated circle on the top is now also present on the bottom.

Top Bottom
FFHT Top.png
FFHT Bottom.png

Currently our best references will be from the Spiderman 2002 film until we get a better look in December from the actual film (or maybe another trailer?), but until then hopefully this helps some people out, and if you have any other references please share them on this thread! I'm sure there's a person or two on here who worked on the original film that may have some bts photos buried away.

Attachments

• Uno 2.jpg
    Uno 2.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 326
I have Frank's resin version and I have the unobtanium version. I might be looking to let both go to fund progress on a different project of mine.

Last edited:
I have Frank's resin version and I have the unobtanium version. I might be looking to let both go to fund progress on a different project of mine.

Oh also, I know the company who made the circuit boards and electronics for the Unobtanium version. It's possible they could run them again now that the company is long gone? I got mine from the developer there.
Would be interested to learn more about the electronics/who to contact!

You may actually be able to find images of the original 3D model of it (it was an early prop that was designed via 3D modeling if I’m not mistaken).

The software they used at the time was Rhino3D and I swear I remember contemporary articles from Rhino themselves about the modeling process and “why” the artists chose Rhino for the work.

You may actually be able to find images of the original 3D model of it (it was an early prop that was designed via 3D modeling if I’m not mistaken).

The software they used at the time was Rhino3D and I swear I remember contemporary articles from Rhino themselves about the modeling process and “why” the artists chose Rhino for the work.
Thanks for the tip! Wasn't able to find the Rhino articles with some google searching. Might have been removed as the software advanced.

Thanks for the tip! Wasn't able to find the Rhino articles with some google searching. Might have been removed as the software advanced.
Here’s an image of the original model. And there may be one or two in the Behind the Mask book. (But my copy is in storage in a different state so I can’t confirm)

I will say that I’ve confirmed that a model used for NWH is actually the ORIGINAL 3D model from 2001. They may have cleaned it up or remeshed it. But underneath, it’s the original.

Attachments

• 5BA1DDD7-81C6-4E3E-BD4F-E8A004B306CA.jpeg
    5BA1DDD7-81C6-4E3E-BD4F-E8A004B306CA.jpeg
    199.9 KB · Views: 353
I will say that I’ve confirmed that a model used for NWH is actually the ORIGINAL 3D model from 2001. They may have cleaned it up or remeshed it. But underneath, it’s the original.
That's very interesting and good to hear— very curious why the LED positioning and bottom lens look closer to the 2007 prop with this in mind (maybe they altered it in the cleanup/remesh to look more reminiscent to look closer to the last time we saw them?), but I love that sort of attention to detail.

EDIT:
What's interesting is the 3D model above (after I just USED MY EYES) seems to have different placement of the LEDs than the actual prop. Very interesting, and it makes me very happy that they used these original files.
1639685374950.png

Last edited:
That's very interesting and good to hear— very curious why the LED positioning and bottom lens look closer to the 2007 prop with this in mind (maybe they altered it in the cleanup/remesh to look more reminiscent to look closer to the last time we saw them?), but I love that sort of attention to detail.

EDIT:
What's interesting is the 3D model above (after I just USED MY EYES) seems to have different placement of the LEDs than the actual prop. Very interesting, and it makes me very happy that they used these original files.
View attachment 1521388
That’s because the ring was made as a separate piece. And the petals were attached in 4 sections around a globe.

Easy to misalign.

F5B7FEA8-A5D4-4E86-9FB7-C77676D68C5F.jpeg

Something curious about the 2002 bombs that I've noticed over the years, and was reminded of today, was that from the VFX shot, and the shot of the prop, it doesn't even look like it has that black ring on the bottom— maybe it just wasn't painted black, but the bottom looks very smooth!
Screen Shot 2021-12-24 at 11.32.19 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-24 at 11.31.19 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-24 at 11.30.38 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-24 at 11.30.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-24 at 11.32.32 PM.png

The only indication that it was there that I can find (I've been sifting through old behind the scenes footage as well) is the castings of the stunt bombs used for Spider-Man 2 and 3, but maybe it was on that old 3D model?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back