Greedo Killer build with a real Mauser

The 48th Ronin

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
OK, I know what you're probably thinking - "WHY use a real Mauser for a Greedo Killer?!"

Well... first, a bit of backstory on the gun...

Way back in 1991 (in the Before Times) I was enamored with The Rocketeer. And I REALLY wanted a Broomhandle Mauser because of that. Unfortunately, I was young and not so knowledgeable, and I didn't realize/understand that it was a Bolo model that was used in the film. Remember, this was before the internet - I couldn't just google it and find that info out within a couple of minutes (accompanied by a plethora of pics).

Cut to 1992, where I'm at a gunshow in Denver and I find a dealer who is selling Broomhandle Mausers. And they were all in pretty rough shape. Again, I was young and not so knowledgeable... and also poor. So I bought one that was rough - but not a complete piece of crap - and it was within my limited budget. It was pretty much shot-out and a virtual smoothbore. In conversation with the dealer (who was very nice and really helpful) I began to gain a smidgen of a clue...

Following his suggestion, I picked up a copy of Shotgun News and discovered resources that could potentially help turn my sow's ear into not exactly a silk purse, but perhaps into something that was actually functional. I found a company in Washington (that is still in business today) that did barrel lining and reboring. So I fired off a letter to get more info...

Remember, this was back in the days before email - snail mail or a phone call was it (the horror!) I ended up sending the barrel/receiver to have it bored out to 9mm. At the time they also offered a few replacement parts and springs as well as new grips, all of which I gladly ordered in addition to the barrel work.

The surface finish of the gun was an entirely different problem - a fair percentage of the bluing remained, but it had gone kinda' brown. It was also completely covered in moderate pitting, with some areas more severe. In consultation with a gunsmith, it was suggested that any attempts to take down the surface would quickly become very expensive and could very likely result in the loss of many (if not all) of the markings. It was then suggested that the probable best course of action would be to just bead blast it and then re-blue it - this would result in a finish sort of like Parkerizing (but not quite). Not ideal, but not the end of the world either. So that is what I had done. Unfortunately, the guy blued *everything* (which isn't correct for this gun). But again... young and unaware/not that knowledgeable.

Anyway, with the gun finally refinished and put back together, I took it to a gun range to try it out. And that turned out to be less than ideal as well. As I recall (vaguely), every other round jammed in one way or another - it had a serious feeding issue. After putting only 10 rounds through it (with difficulty), I'd had enough.

Feeling rather dejected that I had fallen short of attaining my dream gun, and had instead ended up with something which had mechanical problems on top of a less than ideal finish, I put the damned thing away in a closet. I would drag it out and look it over every couple of years or so, but it has pretty much languished in storage for about 27 years.

Until now.

And here it is, in its current state:

mauser01.jpg

mauser02.jpg

I could possibly figure out the feeding problem with a bit of tinkering (or an actual gunsmith), but I'm not really inclined to do so. Also, I've had serious doubts all these years that I could get rid of it, since no one would probably want it, with its cosmetic and mechanical issues. So I've decided that the next best thing to do (the only thing to do?) is to turn it into a blaster. Not sure yet if I'm just going to leave it as-is, or if I should go the crazy route and try to sand it down and re-blue it.

Obviously I was well aware that a Mauser was used for Han Solo's blaster long before The Rocketeer, but I never had the burning desire to have one - I've always been more of a saber guy. That changed a bit for me though, when I did a build for Prop Store in 2008...

They had acquired a second set of Bapty-made parts from Stembridge Gun Rentals for the live-fire ROTJ Han Solo blaster. Brandon scrounged up an MGC Mauser that had seen better days and asked me to fix it up and assemble the parts onto that:

PSoL Solo45.jpg

PSoL Solo47.jpg

When I was done with the build I remember thinking to myself, "Damn, this is actually pretty cool! I might have to make one of these for myself someday..."

Which might possibly bring us to your second thought - "So WHY the Greedo Killer?"

Well... a couple of reasons.

First, out of all the possible builds that I could do, the Greedo Killer seems to be the simplest and most straight-forward, with the least amount of mucking about necessary (yes, I've gotten kinda' lazy in my old age).

Second - and more importantly - that insert shot of it being unholstered is the very FIRST time that we all saw Han Solo's blaster! I think that's pretty significant. I know that shot was definitely burned into my little 10-year-old mind.

Also, anecdotally... I worked at Grant McCune Design once, for a few weeks. One day - early on in my time there - I was using a piece of equipment that was located in a separate room from the main shop area. There was an older, white-haired gentleman working in that same room and we had a nice chat while I went about my task - he was just a really cool guy. Turns out that guy was Bill Shourt, who worked with Grant on Star Wars, when that shop was the original ILM. Now I can't confirm whether or not it's true, but one of my fellow industry comrades (I can't recall which one) once told me later that the hand pulling the blaster out of the holster in that insert shot was none other than Bill Shourt's. Theoretically that could be possible, since that insert was most likely shot at around the same time that they were shooting the cantina pickups, and the logic would follow, since the task of cobbling together the Greedo Killer would have fallen to ILM.

I dunno... I like to believe that it's true, and it makes me smile. :) So that's another reason why I want to do a Greedo Killer.

*EDIT*

I have confirmed which friend shared the anecdote about Bill Shourt. He got the info from a fellow long-time regular of Grant's shop - the guy printed out a screen cap of the insert shot and asked Bill to autograph it. Bill didn't deny that it was his hand and he signed the print. (y)

Last edited:
So I've started the process of collecting components for the build. I may have gotten a bit overexcited, and jumped the gun on an M9 flash hider that I found on GunBroker - unfortunately it's a Marco and it doesn't have the correct wingnut. Not sure yet if I'm gonna worry about that (we'll see). Although... I also just bought a Weaver K1.5-1 scope (with rings!), so maybe I'll do a Greedo Killer that's just slightly "off." :p Kinda' like a fake Rolex. :lol:

I ordered heat sinks from both Field Marshall and Solo's Hold - I wanna see if there's any difference in how each might fit on the gun.

Now I'll just need to get the FM scope mount and probably a new pair of grips.

In the meantime, my first task is to strip the Mauser down and remove the bluing from the parts that shouldn't have it. I'm also contemplating re-doing the safety, bolt stop, extractor, rear sight slider, and the rear section of the sight in flame bluing. That last part will depend upon how easy it actually is to remove the rear sight assembly. Same with the trigger - I might re-do that if it's not too much of a hassle to remove it. And of course when I have it stripped down that would be the perfect time to refinish it. The thought did occur to me that maybe I should talk to newmagrathea and see if he would have the time or interest in doing it.

But of course all of that will have to wait until I get some stuff from Birchwood Casey...

So I've started the process of collecting components for the build. I may have gotten a bit overexcited, and jumped the gun on an M9 flash hider that I found on GunBroker - unfortunately it's a Marco and it doesn't have the correct wingnut. Not sure yet if I'm gonna worry about that (we'll see). Although... I also just bought a Weaver K1.5-1 scope (with rings!), so maybe I'll do a Greedo Killer that's just slightly "off." :p Kinda' like a fake Rolex. :lol:

I ordered heat sinks from both Field Marshall and Solo's Hold - I wanna see if there's any difference in how each might fit on the gun.

Now I'll just need to get the FM scope mount and probably a new pair of grips.

In the meantime, my first task is to strip the Mauser down and remove the bluing from the parts that shouldn't have it. I'm also contemplating re-doing the safety, bolt stop, extractor, rear sight slider, and the rear section of the sight in flame bluing. That last part will depend upon how easy it actually is to remove the rear sight assembly. Same with the trigger - I might re-do that if it's not too much of a hassle to remove it. And of course when I have it stripped down that would be the perfect time to refinish it. The thought did occur to me that maybe I should talk to newmagrathea and see if he would have the time or interest in doing it.

But of course all of that will have to wait until I get some stuff from Birchwood Casey...

Cool project love following vintage builds, Dustin newmagrathea is your man (y)

I'm sure you know that you technically don't need to flame blue, etc. because the original Greedo killer was built on an MGC, not a real C96 like your base.

Looking forward to seeing your build process!

I'm sure you know that you technically don't need to flame blue, etc. because the original Greedo killer was built on an MGC, not a real C96 like your base.
Oh yeah, I am aware. I just want to do it because that's what the real C96 would have had.

Plus, that will continue the theme of it being not quite right - real C96 instead of an MGC, Weaver scope instead of a Compac Super, Marco flash hider instead of an LFC. I figure I should just lean into it and embrace the wrongness. :p

Of course I'll still keep an eye out for the correct parts and maybe some year I'll get lucky.

Really nice work buddy
On the Prop Store gun? Thanks.

Not much to it, really. I think fixing up the MGC was the most work - the grips were from a Denix if I remember correctly, so I had to modify the inside surfaces so that they would fit the MGC grip frame. There was also a hole drilled through the right side of the magazine well - I think someone had started to convert it into a blaster and gave up. Or maybe it had been stripped down from a blaster build. :unsure:

I was all ready to give you blasting for using a real mauser to make a blaster but then I read the back story, which is really great by the way, and I'm now looking forward to the build. You basically brought an old gun back from the brink and as you said it would probably be hard to sell in it's current form. One question I do have is since it is a real mauser and sort of works could you do the greedo killer as a live fire build or would some of the things being added make that impossible.

One question I do have is since it is a real mauser and sort of works could you do the greedo killer as a live fire build or would some of the things being added make that impossible.
Well, that would depend upon whether or not I decide to drill and tap holes in the right side of the gun to affix the scope mount - that would absolutely affect its functionality. If I were to simply epoxy it onto the side of the gun it would just be a matter of whether it would survive the shocks of the gun being fired repeatedly. The front heat sink grill and the flash hider would obviously be a non-issue.

Well, that would depend upon whether or not I decide to drill and tap holes in the right side of the gun to affix the scope mount - that would absolutely affect its functionality. If I were to simply epoxy it onto the side of the gun it would just be a matter of whether it would survive the shocks of the gun being fired repeatedly. The front heat sink grill and the flash hider would obviously be a non-issue.

I’d advise Brazing/Soldering the side bars on. If it’s a live fire, don’t drill into it at all! Having built my ANH hero from a deactivated Mauser, drilling it will most likely affect the workings. Brazing/Soldering I found to be quite easy with a chefs blowtorch and regular solder. Makes for a super strong joint also!

I’d advise Brazing/Soldering the side bars on. If it’s a live fire, don’t drill into it at all! Having built my ANH hero from a deactivated Mauser, drilling it will most likely affect the workings. Brazing/Soldering I found to be quite easy with a chefs blowtorch and regular solder. Makes for a super strong joint also!
Well, I've never tried to braze/solder aluminum. I've done plenty of silver soldering with brass and steel, but I'm not confidant in saying that I'm super-proficient at it and I certainly don't enjoy it.

I probably won't do any drilling & tapping on the gun, but not because of functionality - I have ZERO plans to ever fire it again and after it's converted into a blaster it will be nothing more than a Shelf Queen.

What I would do is fabricate a replacement crossbar for the GK scope mount out of steel that could be welded onto the side of the gun. The welds could be hidden under the upper scope mount and covered over when it's screwed onto the cross bar. Then the knobs would get screwed into the steel bar but not penetrate the Mausers side.

The parkerized finish you have there actually kinda replicates some of the matte blueing found on some mgcs. That's why there's such a sharp contrast between the Mauser and the glossy black scope and mount. So, you might want to keep it. You may want to cut the old lanyard ring off though and fabricate something that matches a commercial wartime.

Looking forward to seeing the build.

Still contemplating what to do - or not do - about the finish. I think that will come down to what newmagrathea thinks and what his rates are.

And I'm not altering the lanyard loop to match an MGC - that's not the point. The point is that I've had this thing sitting in a closet for 27 years doing nothing. I've decided to do something with it, and it is what it is - a pre-M-30.

Well, I've never tried to braze/solder aluminum. I've done plenty of silver soldering with brass and steel, but I'm not confidant in saying that I'm super-proficient at it and I certainly don't enjoy it.

I probably won't do any drilling & tapping on the gun, but not because of functionality - I have ZERO plans to ever fire it again and after it's converted into a blaster it will be nothing more than a Shelf Queen.

As Starkiller says - you’d need a new steel crossbar so it can be attached. Look to see what the live fire ANH chaps do. Silver soldering isn’t that hard! Just looks scary

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back