Greatest American Hero spaceship

Bradleyfett

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Anyone have any info on this model? I just took a specific look at it today on the DVDs and I actually recognized a lot of parts (Hasegawa Railguns, etc.). I have always wanted to do this one, but I'd love to have more info.

What I can tell from the show is that there was a lot going on on the bottom of the model: two rings of neon installed on the model, as well as LEDs and then fiber optics. You can also tell that the model was shot LIVE with the actors and car at night with the model on a rig that turned it slowly. The model was actually close to the camera and the actors/car was in the background, giving the appearance of a large ship hovering over the car. Judging by the kit parts used and the requirements for the neon, the model had to be pretty big- probably around 4 feet in diameter.

I have no idea who did the model originally- Does anyone even know who did the mechanical or vis fx for the show?

Mark

<div class='quotetop'>(Bradleyfett @ Oct 16 2006, 08:02 PM) [snapback]1339351[/snapback]</div>
Anyone have any info on this model? I just took a specific look at it today on the DVDs and I actually recognized a lot of parts (Hasegawa Railguns, etc.). I have always wanted to do this one, but I'd love to have more info.

What I can tell from the show is that there was a lot going on on the bottom of the model: two rings of neon installed on the model, as well as LEDs and then fiber optics. You can also tell that the model was shot LIVE with the actors and car at night with the model on a rig that turned it slowly. The model was actually close to the camera and the actors/car was in the background, giving the appearance of a large ship hovering over the car. Judging by the kit parts used and the requirements for the neon, the model had to be pretty big- probably around 4 feet in diameter.

I have no idea who did the model originally- Does anyone even know who did the mechanical or vis fx for the show?

Mark
[/b]
I know Magicam did the flying sequences, but not sure about the green guy's ship. Rich (racprops) may know. He did some of the props on the show.

<div class='quotetop'>(Bradleyfett @ Oct 17 2006, 12:02 AM) [snapback]1339351[/snapback]</div>

Mark
[/b]

I have no idea who did this prop - But I have looking for info for years. If you find out anything and or need any help putting one together - you can count on me.

<div class='quotetop'>(Jet Beetle @ Oct 18 2006, 07:21 AM) [snapback]1340265[/snapback]</div>
I have no idea who did this prop - But I have looking for info for years. If you find out anything and or need any help putting one together - you can count on me.
[/b]

Thanks Jet Beetle. I have asked around with some friends in the FX industry who were around back then, but nobody seems to know anything.

I may tackle the thing anyway without having more info than what you see on-screen. I can scale the whole thing from the parts I have already IDd. Do you have any stills of the ship? Barring that, what I need are some screen-caps though- moslty from the pilot and Divorce: Venusion Syle.

Mark

<div class='quotetop'>(Bradleyfett @ Oct 18 2006, 11:22 AM) [snapback]1340305[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(Jet Beetle @ Oct 18 2006, 07:21 AM) [snapback]1340265[/snapback]
[/b]

Thanks Jet Beetle. I have asked around with some friends in the FX industry who were around back then, but nobody seems to know anything.

I may tackle the thing anyway without having more info than what you see on-screen. I can scale the whole thing from the parts I have already IDd. Do you have any stills of the ship? Barring that, what I need are some screen-caps though- moslty from the pilot and Divorce: Venusion Syle.

Mark
[/b][/quote]

I have no way to capture - but I can get some .

It sure looks like something Brick Price would have built. You might want to check with him or one of his people. I'll ask my friend in the biz and see if he knows anything. . . :)

<div class='quotetop'>(star-art @ Oct 18 2006, 05:15 PM) [snapback]1340463[/snapback]</div>
It sure looks like something Brick Price would have built. You might want to check with him or one of his people. I'll ask my friend in the biz and see if he knows anything. . . :)
[/b]

Thanks Charles- that would be great. How do I get in touch with Brick Price?

BTW, long time no talk. We'll have to chat sometime...

Mark

Hey, yeah let's chat and get caught up. :) I believe Brick Price is still in business. IIRC, his company is now called WonderWorks or something like that.

:D

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back