Gray Fox / Cyborg Ninja Helmet

xevanx

It's gonna be a slow build since I have limited time to work on it. These photos are taken over the span of a month.

1.jpg2.jpg
Concentrating on the top and back. Wanted to get those round and smooth first which took a lot of passes with body filler.

3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg
Mostly satisfied with top I continued with body filler on the front and jaws. Lots of filler on the top of the eyes to get them even since they were a bit indented.

6.jpg7.jpg
Worked on the cheeks.

8.jpg9.jpg
Shaped the top part of the cheeks to get a sharper line and definition.

11.jpg10.jpg12.jpg
And this is where I'm currently at. So far I've only used 100 and 150 grit sandpaper.

Last edited:
Current progress

P_20150313_084531.jpg
Worked on the back and am pretty happy with it. Next I'm gonna fill the trench with some filler.

P_20150313_084450.jpg
Refined the cheeks. I find them the most difficult part to apply filler and sand. Been using my hand since I can't use a sanding block because of the curvature and hope it won't make the surface too uneven. Same thing with the indents on the top of the helmet.

Last edited:
I cut out the back to see how it fits, which maybe I shouldn't have done that since it left me with large gaps. I spent most of my time trying to make the seems flush again.
P_20150405_133259.jpgP_20150405_133342_NT.jpgP_20150405_133431_NT.jpg

Also hit it with some primer to see low spots. The front is pretty smooth. The top and the back need some minor touch ups.
P_20150405_234157_NT.jpgP_20150405_234215_NT.jpgP_20150405_234240_NT.jpg

I really like the new Cyborg Ninja deign over the first.
So seeing you make this is exciting.
Don't worry about making the cut too flush. I shouldn't be that noticeable.
I do admire your attention to detail.

I really like the new Cyborg Ninja deign over the first.
So seeing you make this is exciting.
Don't worry about making the cut too flush. I shouldn't be that noticeable.
I do admire your attention to detail.
But it's noticeable to me. I just have this thing where I need my work to be perfect.
And I can't decide whether to make it a one part or two part mold.

I don't know what material you are you using, but I mold my helmets as one part. Smooth-on Silicon (Rebound) has a high tension strength so I as long as long as there are enough coats it wont rip. I just peel the silicon off of the sculpt like a tight rubber glove.

Spend the last few weeks trying to get the back lined up. When I cut the back the rear of the helmet lost it's shape, because it was under tension when it was a whole. And I think it's because I didn't use fiberglass on the inside, just resin and rondo.
So then I taped up the helmet and made registration keys on the inside with blobs of body filler.
P_20150503_232340_LL.jpgP_20150503_232354_LL.jpgP_20150503_232416_LL.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back