Grail Knight - Indiana Jones

cckaiser2

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
IMG_6638.jpg

Anyone ever complete a Grail Knight cosplay from Indiana Jones? I’ve searched but not found much on individual pieces. I did find the sword and grail but struggling with correct Templar robe, tunic, armor, belt and shield.
IMG_6628.png

IMG_6621.jpg

The armor is simple enough, it's just a mail hauberk, you can get away just a shirt length hauberk since the lower part would be covered by the tunic. Real mail was generally made from flattened rings riveted closed with either 4 riveted to one solid or 4 solid to one riveted. But for the purpose of this costume, you could get away with cheap butted rings made from aluminum. The only thing that you'll want for accuracy is to find some way to get it fitted, since the sleeves don't hang down like a lot of cheap mail does. The same goes with the coif as well, a lot of costume coifs have a huge face opening leaving a lot of the throat exposed, but the Grail Knight's seems to be pretty closely fitted, even if it doesn't as much as real historical coifs did.

There are a lot sites that sell replica mail, you can check out Museum Replicas, Windlass Steelcrafts, and Kult of Athena is another good one. I'd probably go with Kult of Athena because they look to have a pretty large selection of mail at various price points, materials, and construction methods.

Thanks! I made a tunic and will weather it, cloak is being made by another vendor. I have a coif but it shows a lot of skin thru it. Thinking I can make a piece to wear under it? Waiting on chausses, gloves and sword to be delivered.

Thanks! I made a tunic and will weather it, cloak is being made by another vendor. I have a coif but it shows a lot of skin thru it. Thinking I can make a piece to wear under it? Waiting on chausses, gloves and sword to be delivered.
Historically, they would have an arming cap underneath their coif, so wearing one should keep too much skin from showing.

For a belt, you could try looking at Museum Replicas and see if anything looks close.

And there's Kult of Athena too.

I would probably build the sword belt, there's a number of sites that have reproduction Mediaeval buckles, chapes, etc and the leatherworking part is straightforward. (I have little in the way of leatherworking skills, but I was able to make a couple sword belts.)

The main thing would be to find good photos to work from. I wonder if parts of the costume have come up for auction? Those are often the clearest photos. I can't tell all that much from this photo, which is the best I could find quickly online of the belt. It appears to be one of those long sword belts that wraps around twice. It appears to have metal rosettes running down the middle, and a pattern of tooling, a series of semi-circles, running along both edges.

aEwIVOJ.jpg

I found this place that has a few varieties of those rosettes Belt Buckles and fittings

Last edited:
For the stamping on the Grail Knight sword belt, you would need to see a close clear photo, and then have some luck finding the same stamp.

I didn't imagine I would ever find the exact stamp for this Game Of Thrones sword-belt.

At first I looked at loads of sites selling Celtic-embossed leather belts, and never found anything close.

Then I took a different tack and started looking at stamps being sold. As luck would have it, the exact stamp is widely available in a set of Celtic-themed stamps from Tandy Leather. Who knows, maybe the Grail Knight stamps are in this set too. (Most Celtic designs are lifted out of the same old book, the author never given credit, so these same designs would have been around in the 1980s.)

Y4TDizp.jpg

Here's a the best screen-shot I could find of the belt (top) and my reproduction (below).

As you see my narrow belt is a tad narrow, and I still haven't been able to locate the small buckle.

O4xYbaJ.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back