Graflex Heiland ESB Vader Saber conversion

ComeradeDog88

So I have recently acquired an old 2 cell Graflex Heiland flash tube that I would like to convert into an ESB Vader lightsaber. here's an example (only mine has the black shroud on top).

Heiland Research 2 Cell Excellent + complete Flash Set Graflex Camera, Star  Wars | #1876530978

I have gotten the wires in their correct places on the sides near the top.
I do have a question about the D-ring, since I don't want to drill into the original shroud for the D-ring, is their an accurate D-ring I can buy that will screw under the gold screw on the shroud that looks more accurate the the one I have on there currently? here's the current D-ring that's screwed into the top.
1112756.jpg

Also since I cannot afford the Texas instrument exactra (which contains the accurate bubble strip), and I'm not looking for replica bubble strips because I'm determined to use original parts. Should I buy a non-working Texas instrument Ti-30 for the bubble strip, because it has essentially the same thing. right? here's the Ti-30 bubble strip
KiUdtFyhH5C2q13HdnNTuVCHQWVPDPWM_sr6lowx9utX_4Lbui.jpg

Also because this is a 2 cell, it is not the right length. Is there anywhere I can get an extension to make it the correct length? Also, I can't get the bottom off with out ruining it, it's pretty stuck, I've tried everything. If anyone has a way to get it off, please let me know

Ah yes, the t-tack grips, these I will have to cut a little shorter if I cannot find an extension to the flash. Hopefully I can find an extension somewhere as well as ideas of how to remove the bottom cap with out ruining it.

reminder: I'm 16, this project has been a huge step in prop making for me. limited equipment, have a Dremel tool though. Would suggest linking Etsy or eBay stoes if anyone has any ideas of where to go for parts.

Hopefully I can finish this project within a few months and continue to finish my Star-lord Walkman prop. please let me know if any of you have any ideas.

Update!!

here is the current state of my Vader saber. Gonna actually try and go for ANH look because I like the simplicity of it. Ordering t-tracks next, I got the bubble strip today and it looks pretty cool. I sanded and filed the edges and cut the strip down so it fits inside the clamp (fits real snug, no glue required). Here it is!!
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Gonna be getting a new d-ring soon that’s more accurate. Also might get a longer black part for the back, because that’s more accurate to.

Thanks again for the links scarf man!!

(Edit) Well nevermind about going to pick up the d-ring, actually found a perfectly good one searching through scrap pieces
image.jpg

Works really well

Last edited:
Looks good. Nice recycling of the original Heiland clamp. D ring mounting is clever too. I drilled my shroud nice and deep but still wouldn't use it as a belt hanger in case it broke off! Nasty. I went cheap and put a laminated printout of the PCB underneath my bubble strip - you can't tell the difference. The top bulb release section you can get from Romans or print a 3D file (that's what I did) and recycle the metal bulb release button. I need to find some correct slotted screws for it but the gold ones will have to do for now. Filling the extra hole in the bottom is easy with some drinks can metal or silver plastic (I used some mirrored packaging). Happy building!

Attachments

• 20220222_124144.jpg
    20220222_124144.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 143
  • 20220222_124217.jpg
    20220222_124217.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 87
  • 20220222_124150.jpg
    20220222_124150.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 135
So I have recently acquired an old 2 cell Graflex Heiland flash tube that I would like to convert into an ESB Vader lightsaber. here's an example (only mine has the black shroud on top).

Heiland Research 2 Cell Excellent + complete Flash Set Graflex Camera, Star  Wars | #1876530978

I have gotten the wires in their correct places on the sides near the top.
I do have a question about the D-ring, since I don't want to drill into the original shroud for the D-ring, is their an accurate D-ring I can buy that will screw under the gold screw on the shroud that looks more accurate the the one I have on there currently? here's the current D-ring that's screwed into the top.View attachment 1361303
Also since I cannot afford the Texas instrument exactra (which contains the accurate bubble strip), and I'm not looking for replica bubble strips because I'm determined to use original parts. Should I buy a non-working Texas instrument Ti-30 for the bubble strip, because it has essentially the same thing. right? here's the Ti-30 bubble strip
View attachment 1361304

Also because this is a 2 cell, it is not the right length. Is there anywhere I can get an extension to make it the correct length? Also, I can't get the bottom off with out ruining it, it's pretty stuck, I've tried everything. If anyone has a way to get it off, please let me know

Ah yes, the t-tack grips, these I will have to cut a little shorter if I cannot find an extension to the flash. Hopefully I can find an extension somewhere as well as ideas of how to remove the bottom cap with out ruining it.

reminder: I'm 16, this project has been a huge step in prop making for me. limited equipment, have a Dremel tool though. Would suggest linking Etsy or eBay stoes if anyone has any ideas of where to go for parts.

Hopefully I can finish this project within a few months and continue to finish my Star-lord Walkman prop. please let me know if any of you have any ideas.
I am late to the party.. by any chance can you tell me where you found that d ring?

I am late to the party.. by any chance can you tell me where you found that d ring?
Yeah You can get them off any lanyard’s you got laying around. But ones that have this specifically sized ring. I can’t remember which kind I used exactly but if I remember I’ll get back to you. I also haven’t made any progress on my build yet due to some budget issues I’m having and the very rare occurrence I come across any original parts. It’s a tough build but it’s probably gonna be done within the next few months as long as I get some grips and maybe do some recoloring on the clamp. Other than that, it’s going pretty well. I’m currently working on some other props at the time but hopefully I’ll be able to get back to this one soon!!!

Looks good. Nice recycling of the original Heiland clamp. D ring mounting is clever too. I drilled my shroud nice and deep but still wouldn't use it as a belt hanger in case it broke off! Nasty. I went cheap and put a laminated printout of the PCB underneath my bubble strip - you can't tell the difference. The top bulb release section you can get from Romans or print a 3D file (that's what I did) and recycle the metal bulb release button. I need to find some correct slotted screws for it but the gold ones will have to do for now. Filling the extra hole in the bottom is easy with some drinks can metal or silver plastic (I used some mirrored packaging). Happy building!
That’s such a cool build, mine is still currently in progress because my attention is elsewhere for the time being but I’ll be able to finish mine hopefully in a few months!

Yeah You can get them off any lanyard’s you got laying around. But ones that have this specifically sized ring. I can’t remember which kind I used exactly but if I remember I’ll get back to you. I also haven’t made any progress on my build yet due to some budget issues I’m having and the very rare occurrence I come across any original parts. It’s a tough build but it’s probably gonna be done within the next few months as long as I get some grips and maybe do some recoloring on the clamp. Other than that, it’s going pretty well. I’m currently working on some other props at the time but hopefully I’ll be able to get back to this one soon!!!
Thanks, I’m looking for your exact profile, I’ll keep searching. Thanks for the reply

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back