Graflex hardware saber

That glass eye looks pretty good. Yesterday I found another interesting possibility. Based on Darth Saber's blueprints, it's about a mm to big, but there's these battery powered candle lights that are available around Christmas that have a brass base and collar (where the bulb goes). That collar has a knurled edge and screws into the white tube that is the candle. Apart form the brassy color and size, it looks pretty good. I picked up about five of them in a thrift shop. Maybe the brass color will rub off the chrome, like vintage Kenner C-3PO figures.

image.jpg
Mostly plastic ESB. The clamp is a DIY aluminum piece I got in a trade and the red button assemblies are from Hasbro Anakin sabers. The grips were fashioned from the stake of an Easter yard sign.

image.jpg
TLJ inspired with vintage Eveready flashlight for the bottom. The grips a made from plastic H-molding (for joining two 1/4" wall panels) modified to a "T".

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
A little undersized, but it is metal! A custom D-ring clip from a modified C-channel and T-track grips made garden rake tines. And that's a real Graflex bulb holder, which has since been swapped out for a DIY aluminum version (it's going to a better saber) and the clamp has been changed for one with the holes, slot, and scribed lines.

Last edited:
Really nice work

That curve is really hard to do by hand, it looks like the vertical change happens exactly halfway between the front and back.

I did this with a hack-saw and ******* files to replicate the "rehearsal" stunt saber that I'm pretty sure is just pipe. I used aluminum because its easier to shape and some folks who've been to the archives suggested AL as well. (I'll find a pic)

I'm really excited to see this graflex come to life. any idea on grip material?

Yea you did a better job replicating the bevel than they did. I picture matched the rehearsal saber and this was what they did. They got pretty close I guess haha
20190611_105750.jpg

Did a rough cut with a Dremel abrasive cutting disc and cleaned it up with a sanding drum. I plan on using some manufactured ESB style grips (Blastech I think). I'm rethinking the clamp too. A bit too bright next to the tube.

Ok, I'm totally inspired to start my own build up of one of these and am glad to have the previous info to reference, thanks!!

The more I think about it, the more I think I don't want to use this tube. The finish is just too dark. I achieved some good results simulating a brushed finish on a plumbing pipe with a Scotchbrite pad, so I think I'll go with that. But I may still revisit this tube in the future, maybe for a custom saber.

The more I think about it, the more I think I don't want to use this tube. The finish is just too dark. I achieved some good results simulating a brushed finish on a plumbing pipe with a Scotchbrite pad, so I think I'll go with that. But I may still revisit this tube in the future, maybe for a custom saber.

The future is now... Sort of. I think I'll use the tube for a TROS style Graflex, since the activation band doesn't have to be anywhere near the same color. Fabricating the "clamp" however may be it's own challenge since I'll probably end up using aluminum sheet rather than sections of tube. I decided to go cheap, however, and picked up a sheet of brown craft foam to stand in for the leather wrap.

image.jpg

Solar Christmas spike light available at Dollar Tree. Cut off one "fin", cut to length and width, and you've got a credible T-track grip.

It's been over a year and I still haven't put those stakes to use! Here's some updated pics of the saber above with an aluminum clamp and emitter loop plus a new activation card.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Thanks. I made all the bends with a hand seaming tool used for HVAC duct work and a hammer. It's actually a reject that was made for a 1 1/2" tube, but ended up a bit too small. Luckily, this saber is undersized at 1 3/8", so it fit perfectly.

Above is one of the lights I mentioned in my thread. Dollar Tree has different lights for different seasons. They should have some Halloween themed ones about now (maybe?).

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back