Graflex hardware saber

propmainiac

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi all
Planning a build for a hardware Graflex saber. Trying to get it as close as possible to the real thing. I see a lot of graflexes here that have been disassembled for electronics and was wondering if anyone had a leftover main black interior peice they'd be willing to let go. It's the bakelite peice with the plunger and pins or contacts in it. Have a want to buy in the junkyard. Any help locating this peice would be helpful and appreciated. Thanks

7a967177fb14cedac26d77fbd17f604b.gif
here's this just in case you plan on making one from scratch if you cant get a hold of a real one. Just make sure to print at the right size!

Used to use the chrome sink tubes but I have a length of aluminum tubing that will work. Plan to get a Romans clamp for better accuracy and make the saber two halves. If I can't find a emitter peice( the black peice that sits inside the saber) then I may go with PVC and Bondo. Although I did make one out of sculpy clay one time. We'll see. Still have to finish my blade runner blaster.

I've actually been meaning to start on this build for some time now. Will go buy my materials today! I'll be learning with you PropMainiac

Ok so I started building tonight. I printed the shroud pattern and began prepping my tube. I wrapped tape around the end to start with a nice evening cut. I used a hose clamp to make a even line then cut the end with a Dremel. Cleaned the pipe up with a file and sandpaper. My next part was making the emitter or black plug that's in the middle. This is the part with the plunger and the brass pins. I cut a vacum cleaner tube about two inches long. Slipped a plastic camera film cannisters inside that. Then used a small PVC coupler inside that. For the plunger part I used a xacto knife handle. All this is preliminary still figuring things out. May use the red button thumbscrews I see on different sites.

Attachments

• IMG_20170115_183913.jpg
    IMG_20170115_183913.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 414
  • IMG_20170115_184238.jpg
    IMG_20170115_184238.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 391
  • IMG_20170115_185741.jpg
    IMG_20170115_185741.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 369
  • IMG_20170115_192120.jpg
    IMG_20170115_192120.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 369
Last edited:
I used to use the chrome sink tubes. The only issue I had was when you cut them the brass would show. I got around this by painting the cut edges with testors silver model paint.

Hi again can any tell me the bottom tube dimensions of the Graflex. Gonna carve the notches for a clamp and build mine so it's two halves. I thought I saw somewhere that stated it was 4 and 7/8 ths long?

Thank you. I'm thinking of changing the title to my not so Hardware graflex build. I thought about it and I was planning on buying a clamp from Romans, a red button. And glass eye. Another RPF member has the black bulb socket he's willing to sell. If I go that route I'm almost spending 100 dollars. I used to make every single part when I built the hardware sink tube handles, glass eye and red button included. Still 100 for a fairly accurate lightsaber replica (minus the shoulders) is a far cry from spending 400 or 500. My car payment is 300. I just can't justify that much money. I love building props but not gonna go broke in the process. Besides radio shack no longer sells the coax antenna knob I used to use. I could go the TFA route and get Roys clamp cover. I dunno guess we'll see how it goes

Last edited:
OK been planning out my build. Here's the rundown. Figuring out what I can build and buy. I've bought the inside bulb socket. Went to Radio Shacks website. There I bought the PL 259 solderless plugs I used to buy plus the double ended adapter cause the threads match the Graflex threads. The stores don't carry the connectors but itspicturd on their website. Gonna order a clamp cover from Roy. Everything else I'm gonna build. Gonna get all the prices first the start the build. Total cost under 100? Going for the ESB saber. My Fave.

Hello all.
Does anyone have good pics of the ears on the Graflex and the sleeve that's in the middle? Been looking and trying to see the sleeve that covers the pin. I bought small diameter tubing from Lowe's. It's 3/16 in size.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back