Graflex disassembly

jazzygeoffery

This is probably a silly question to most of you, and there may already be a thread out there, but i have looked to no avail. So, i found a very nice graflex 3-call in my grandmother's garage, and i have no idea how to remove the black plastic part out of the emitter section. I unscrewed what i could find, but it wouldn't come out. I would remove the brass pins, but i don't really want to unless it's absolutely necessary for me to. Also i need to remove the rabbit ears to replace them. I was planning on using a small rod and a hammer, but are there any other ways i could go about doing this? Thanks for reading, and if there is a thread about this already, a link would be very helpful C:

There is a long time since I disassembled mine, but you will have to remove the pins, the pushing button, the light bulb, the emitter ring etc...

Thanks, c: how do i remove the aluminum pin that keeps the red button holder in place? And how to i remove the brass pins? do they unscrew or do i just yank(carefully with correct tool) them out

Note that a vintage Graflex will not have a screw holding the bunny ears in place, it will be a pin. The Graflex in the tutorial was likely a replica. The best way to remove the pin is what you said - very carefully with a small rod and hammer. I have damaged one of the three vintage pins I worked on doing that - so be careful! Unfortunately it's really the best way.

Second on the 3mm socket - a pair of needle nose pliers works well too, just make sure you have a firm grip of the base and then turn. If you don't have a good grip, the pliers will slip and possibly wear down the hex base. I've used the pliers method for all of my pins and it works fine. Just some very minor scratching from me not having a good enough grip before I started turning. 3mm socket is preferable though.

After removing the rabbit ears and brass sync pins, unscrew the red button and glass eye next. Then just take a rod and tap out the whole black plastic assembly with a hammer. If the plastic looks fragile or brittle...well be careful. I have never had this happen, but I read that someone broke theirs by doing this. It doesn't need to be smacked with the hammer or anything, just light taps.

Note that there are three small strips of metal that will likely fall out of the black flash assembly - this is okay, it's easy enough to get back together. They serve as contacts to the three sets of pins, and I like to leave them in for the look. Even if you use a blade holder in place of the flash assembly, you can still modify them to fit back into the blade holder so your blade holder will be more accurate. I also remove the pins from underneath the red button, because I like the feeling of that button depressing all the way, rather than hitting those contacts.

Last edited:
That was a great help! :D does anyone know if graflex made a pin removing tool? Because i have a huge box of graflex parts and the smallest socket i have is 5mm, i'm attempting using needles nose pilers with some masking tape over the tips at the moment... *holds breath*
Edit: the pins are pretty tight and the masking tape isn't doing much to save the pins

The Custom Saber Shop used to sell a pin removing tool, but they have not had it in their inventory for years. This tool was most likely manufactured before TCSS, something that they just found in a hardware store.

The Graflex Shop still sells one, but I have not had good experiences with them.

A huge box of Graflex parts huh? Got an extra red button you want to sell? ^_^

God I've done this a few times for Vader ROTJ (or whatever we're calling it now, but you know what I mean). It's so bloody terrifying...

The Graflex Shop still sells one, but I have not had good experiences with them.

Sadly no :c My great uncle was a photographer for a newspaper way back in the day, so it's mostly camera accessories :/ Even if did though, i don't know if i could be tempted to sell them lol

*Looks at his box full of graflex parts* :p

Graflex Shop... Oh the headecks when i had to deal with them when i made Graflex lightsabers (check my thread history for pics :) ).

Ended up having my lawyer send them a letter, 2 weeks after i received my large order. 4 monh afterr my initial purchase but heh...

Ok so i found some pliers with not ridges on them and i removed the pins :D
only problem is, the black plastic piece won't move >:I i don't have the rabbit ears out yet (i can only get the pin about 1/8 of the way out) but it should still move a bit... or am i crazy?

It should move. Did you remove the set of pins from underneath the red button? But even if you haven't removed those, it should still move a little bit.

That pin (bunny ears one) has given me trouble every time I've disassembled a Graflex flash.

I'm going to assume that you have done this, so I don't mean anything by it - but you did remove both the glass eye and the small screw on the underside, right?

Other than that, it should come out.

Last edited:
Yes, i got all 6 pins, both buttons, and if by "the small screw on the underside" you mean the one about half a cm above the glass eye... Then yes, that has been removed. I didn't remove the two screws on the inside, because those hold the plastic piece together... right? lol i'm such a noob
EDIT: ooookay, so for some reason i thought it would slide right out, but i forgot to tap it a bit from the inside... needless to say it moved lol

1/8" socket is a perfect fit for Graflex pins. I had too much chrome flashing on the inside, near the opening of mine and had to file a bit of it off to get it to fit the pins but that's just a manufacturing error from the socket maker.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back