Graflex clamp sidebars......two versions????

Joek3rr

Master Member
20180225_234054.jpg

So I got my TGS flash gun yesterday. And as I am examining it, I notice that the ends of the clamp sidebars are finished in a way that I've never seen before. (In the picture the TGS clamp is on the right and a Korbanth clamp is showing how the other style) So I'm wondering how accurate is the clamp? Is that way of finishing the sidebars seen on some of the vintage ones? I'm in need of some enlightening :)

I don't have a vintage clamp, but both my Roman's clamp bars and my old version Park's clamp bars are like the clamp on the left in your picture. If I'm not mistaken, pictures of vintage clamps also appear like the clamp on the left, not the idealized bars on the right.

So I shot a email to TGS and asked them about the sidebars. It turns out they intentionally did them that way so you know it's replica flashgun and not a vintage. Additionally I was told they may so some accurate sidebars in the near future!:D

Ah, that's good information! It's not one of my favorite tells, I prefer Roman's with the relatively minor spacing difference of the GRAFLEX stamp. This feels like a difference in construction rather than a relatively minor difference in cosmetics. But I hear they're really good quality clamps and flashguns as a whole, and I'm glad they might release more accurate bars in the future. I'm waiting on a Roman's V2 flashgun at the moment, but I considered going with a TGS.

Ah, that's good information! It's not one of my favorite tells, I prefer Roman's with the relatively minor spacing difference of the GRAFLEX stamp. This feels like a difference in construction rather than a relatively minor difference in cosmetics. But I hear they're really good quality clamps and flashguns as a whole, and I'm glad they might release more accurate bars in the future. I'm waiting on a Roman's V2 flashgun at the moment, but I considered going with a TGS.

The nice thing is, is you can change the side bars, can't change the stamping. But in the end it's all personal preference. Initially I was going to a ESB build with mine, but I might switch to a TFA/TLJ build. That way I can take the clamp off and replace the sidebars, if they make some accurate ones.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back