Graflex ANH and ESB conversion kit questions

Griff13

I just purchased KR Sabers Graflex Gen 2. I’ve been looking at Wannawanga kits (most are sold out). I was wondering if anyone finds the grip guide helpful and which kit of theirs is the best for these two versions. Or are there any other accurate kits out there?

Thank you in advance!

I also bought one 2 days ago. I went with all the newer accurate ANH parts from WannaWanga.
Classic T-grips, Wonky D-ring, Pinched Exactra bubble strip, 2021 grip guide, and the ANH handle rivets.
Once the stamped sidebar is available I'll add this one as well.

Even though the ANH Version was probably a Folmer and not the Graflex INC. Anyways since it's Replica Graflex and not a vintage, who cares... Who knows how many Graflex they actually used. They probably mixed parts and didn't even think about every small detail back then. I still like it more with the new parts, than the current Romans. I rather get a vintage one day and reuse the parts for this one and swap the KR to ESB.

I wonder what they used in the Obi Wan series...

Last edited:
I also bought one 2 days ago. I went with all the newer accurate ANH parts from WannaWanga.
Classic T-grips, Wonky D-ring, Pinched Exactra bubble strip, 2021 grip guide, and the ANH handle rivets.
Once the stamped sidebar is available I'll add this one as well.

Even though the ANH Version was probably a Folmer and not the Graflex INC. Anyways since it's Replica Graflex and not a vintage, who cares... Who knows how many Graflex they actually used. They probably mixed parts and didn't even think about every small detail back then. I still like it more with the new parts, than the current Romans. I rather get a vintage one day and reuse the parts for this one and swap the KR to ESB.

Please let me know how yours turns out. I’m doing research now to see which version I would rather make. I think yours will turn out nicely!

I'm not sure how well versed you are in the props, but just in case:

A New Hope: Regular Graflex the way it comes, 7 t-track randomly beveled or with curved corners, calc bubble strip in the clamp and a sloppy D Ring tab, riveted with two rivets. There appear to be 4 rivets in between the grips on the other side of the saber (away from the clamp)

Empire Strikes Back: Graflex with two red buttons (they lost the glass eye or something), 6 t-track with notches taken out, and pan head philips screws put in. I personally think they were Hi-Lo screws from electronics. The hero at some point had tiny screws affixed to the upper right of the grips too, no idea when that happened. Kobold flash clip with a D ring riveted to the bottom. There was at least 1 real Graflex stunt saber too.

TFA, TLJ I'm pretty sure they used 6 resin grips, with one rivet in each, I forget. Glass eye lathed down to the brass. tape over the logo, replica kobold clip with a D ring on the bottom.

ESB is my personal favorite, but most people start with the first one. It's sentimental, teaches you a lot of model making tricks and is very hard to screw up.

I'm not sure how well versed you are in the props, but just in case:

A New Hope: Regular Graflex the way it comes, 7 t-track randomly beveled or with curved corners, calc bubble strip in the clamp and a sloppy D Ring tab, riveted with two rivets. There appear to be 4 rivets in between the grips on the other side of the saber (away from the clamp)

Empire Strikes Back: Graflex with two red buttons (they lost the glass eye or something), 6 t-track with notches taken out, and pan head philips screws put in. I personally think they were Hi-Lo screws from electronics. The hero at some point had tiny screws affixed to the upper right of the grips too, no idea when that happened. Kobold flash clip with a D ring riveted to the bottom. There was at least 1 real Graflex stunt saber too.

TFA, TLJ I'm pretty sure they used 6 resin grips, with one rivet in each, I forget. Glass eye lathed down to the brass. tape over the logo, replica kobold clip with a D ring on the bottom.

ESB is my personal favorite, but most people start with the first one. It's sentimental, teaches you a lot of model making tricks and is very hard to screw up.
Thank you! I have been trying to do a lot of research before I start on it. There are some things you stated that I did not know. I really appreciate it! Now to choose which design to go for haha.

We have a thread for everything :D

Please let me know how yours turns out. I’m doing research now to see which version I would rather make. I think yours will turn out nicely!
Oh, I now also ordered the Romans Folmer Glasseye and 3 Cell bottom with the Folmer 'No Patent' stamp on it.
Unfortunately I couldn't get my head around it... I probably should've gotten the Grade B TGS Graflex in the first place, to make it easier, but we will see... I hope the parts fit.

Last edited:
Roy offers a service to have your own sidebar stamped with the RAF number ... look under SERVICES :)

Griff13 check it again ... both complete conversion kits for ANH/ESB are still available at wannawanga :)

Chaïm
Thanks, they are out of the one that I am looking for. I am looking for their Luke ESB kit with 6 pre-cut notched & drilled classic grips, with rivets. I think this is the build I am going to go for.

Roy offers a service to have your own sidebar stamped with the RAF number ... look under SERVICES :)

Griff13 check it again ... both complete conversion kits for ANH/ESB are still available at wannawanga :)

Chaïm
Thank yeah I saw that, but he told me that he will have some stamped KR sidebars in stock, so no need to send it over

Last edited:
Got this beauty in yesterday:

Attachments

• 6CE07FB0-00CC-4038-9EF4-A37F05269E89.jpeg
    6CE07FB0-00CC-4038-9EF4-A37F05269E89.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 122
Awesome! Keep me updated. It will be a little while for mine but when I get everything and start I will update also.
Yeah mine too.. waiting for Romans to ship the 2 parts. The Wanna Wanga parts should be here Mo-Tue. So I guess in about 3-4 weeks I can finish it. Also ordered some tools.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back