Graflex "A New Hope" Build

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by history Hunter, Aug 23, 2015.

1. history Hunter

history Hunter New Member

I'm not a prop collector, but the father of a 4-year-old who has re-ignited my interest in Star Wars. I've been hesitant to introduce him to the movies due to the violence (and of course, the question of what order to introduce him, looms large in my future). But we have been watching Star Wars Rebels, and he's absolutely in LOVE with the Star Wars world. Just about everything in my house that's sword-shaped (or has batteries) has become a light saber. After having recently purchased us a pair of kick-butt sabers from Ultra Sabers, I decided to build a hero prop. Honestly, I'm telling myself (and my wife) that this is for him, but who are we kidding? It's for me! Next to Heather Locklear, it was my childhood dream to have one of these. So here I am, aged 44, with disposable income, and nothing else to do on a Saturday night but ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321835703447?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Thanks to a couple of members of this forum, I've started down the path of the dark side ... I will update you on my "build." Also, one of you suggested I hadn't purchased the right Graflex ... please confirm for me if this is the case. I'm on the hunt for another one if that's the case. Wish me luck people, and please pray that I don't get the "saber collecting bug" (okay in 3 weeks, I've already purchased 3). Ugh ...

Attached Files:

Luke the Belter, MCM and mugatu like this.
  2. Serenity

Serenity Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It'll be fine for an ANH version since it has the correct knurling on the button and has a glass eye.

Good luck and have fun!

mugatu likes this.
  3. Panaflex

Panaflex Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks like a fine specimen. Enjoy the build, it is addictive so you may wind up building the entire OT collection before you're done.

mugatu likes this.
  4. mugatu

mugatu Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You've got the bug already!

5. James Kenobi 1138

James Kenobi 1138 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You could build the new EP7 lightsaber if you wanted with that Graflex.

Dart likes this.
  6. NeoRutty

NeoRutty Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Seems there are a couple of camps on the graflex lightsabers... As far as I'm concerned, if it's vintage graflex (not graflite holiday special) you are in Luke Lightsaber territory...

But there are those who get right down to the "Folmer" stamp on the bottom, which I haven't looked toooo deeply into, cuz it just starts getting crazy.

Though in ANH, I don't think there's ever a moment that you could see a "Folmer" tag, so I have no idea why someone would say you have the wrong one. (but there are loooong threads talking about the tiniest of detail, so who knows, heh)

ALL that said, I think it looks great, and welcome to the club! I'm sure your "kid" will enjoy waving it around, as he imagines saving Heather Locklear from the Death Star. :D

7. Luke the Belter

Luke the Belter Well-Known Member

Nice Graflex. I don't tire to see a Graflex build.
    But who are we kidding?
    You already have the bug ;) and it will last a long time.

8. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

You're all set, mate ... have fun building this beauty :)

Chaim

9. jkno

jkno Master Member

God luck in building this great piece! :)

10. chizbot

chizbot Active Member

sell yo moma's TV... you gon' need that saber $$

11. LTsmash1200

LTsmash1200 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

What do you mean? There are only 3 movies. Just show him in the order they were released: A New Hope, Empire, Jedi.

MClass and spoudastis like this.
  12. NeoRutty

Yeah... I mean I saw them: A New Hope, Jedi, Empire... and I came out okay... But the best would be in order "as released".

Now... If... IF you want to show your kid the other three... most of us won't judge you too harshly... and I wouldn't recommend it... BUT if you must... the suggested order is:

Holiday Special, Caravan of Courage, and Battle for Endor.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  13. russellsch

russellsch Sr Member

I just watched ANH, Empire, & Jedi (in that order, in three nights) with my 5 year old niece. Talk about magic! I've seen them countless times, but to get to see them through the eyes of a child... priceless.
    & she loved them! Darth Vader was scary, Chewbacca was a loveable fuzz ball (& she was a tad upset he didn't rip a Stormtroopers arm off during the movies), 3P0 & R2 were funny, Han & Luke were neat, Princess Leia was awesome. She laughed at the jokes, held onto my arm during the tense "will they make it" scenes, she was sad when Obi-Wan & Yoda died, was shocked COMPLETELY when Vader said he was Luke's father, ect. She loved all of it. & seeing them with her made them magical, for me, again.
    I envy you, history Hunter, & the experience you will soon have watching these with your son. You'll know when he's ready to see them. But, let him experience it by going through it. Don't tell him what's "around the corner". My niece would ask with wonderment "what's gonna happen next?" & I would only answer her, "We'll have to watch & see". & she got it. The highs, the lows, & the scary in betweens.
    & now my brother says she's a Star Wars fan. My work, as an Uncle, is done.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  14. LTsmash1200

LTsmash1200 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

russellsch likes this.
  15. russellsch

russellsch Sr Member

16. history Hunter

Re: Graflex "A New Hope" Build

Okay first ... I want to say how encouraging it is to find a forum filled with actual nice people. In my industry, I've had actual forums dedicated to how evil I am ... ugh, don't get me started. Anyway, here are some photo updates. Got the Graflex in today (shows light age, which I like), and also got my calculator in today. Here are some pics. Here is the saber out of the box.

saber1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Here it is next to the calculator, which came at exactly the same time.

saber2.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a pic of my son massively enjoying it at Starbucks (I met his mom and he, after school). The Starbucks guy saw my son with it, and said "Wow, is that a light saber." And it doesn't even have the T-track installed yet!

saber3.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, my son was absolutely over the moon to be holding it. I was tempted to tell him it was real, but simply out of batteries, but cooler heads (meaning, my wife) prevailed, and I had to tell him what it was. The funny thing is, he didn't believe me. He was like "Daddy, that's real." Anyway, here's the next pic. One more glam shot of the calculator and Graflex, before I did anything.

saber4.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, a working model! I couldn't resist putting batteries in it, just to see it work one last time.

saber5.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

And, here's the calculator disassembled, before removal of the bubble-plastic thingie. Tomorrow, I'll trim the piece, and set it in place. Any advice on this process? Of course, I'm still waiting on my "kit" which consists of T-track, the rivets and belt hanger, and a fake bubble-thingie (obviously, that goes in the drawer for a 2nd build).

saber6.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Also, yes ... I'm addicted. I'm looking for another one now. In the words of that guy on "Contact" the movie ... why build one, when you can build 2?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  17. mugatu

That Graflex looks great! I can see the thrill in the young Jedi's eyes as he wields it!

Careful to not post links to auctions that are still live (it is against the forum rules). Plus some lurking Sith may try to * it out of your grasp!

Andymac84 likes this.
  18. Luke the Belter

That's what I like about a Graflex. Anybody who has seen Star Wars will recognize a Graflex for what it really is: A lightsaber.
    And this feeling holding this real world thing in hands is worth so much.

19. russellsch

russellsch Sr Member

Oh mAn am I jealous! GRAFLEX & an Exactra? I will be living vicariously through you sir :thumbsup, keep up the good work, & please keep posting.
    I like the little bit of wear on the GRAFLEX, makes it feel more real. Star Wars is supposed to be used & lived in.

20. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

That 'guy' was S.R. Hadden from Hadden Industries, Ltd. ... so what's next ESB lightsaber? :lol I warned you beforehand ... this prop collecting is quite an addiction and needs deep pockets these days :wacko

Chaim

21. jkno

jkno Master Member

Exactly. When seeing MR pristine, clean and perfect lightsabers, they seem more like surgical instruments, that props from the used SW universe we love so much.

22. history Hunter

Here's the Exactra 20 lense just after coming out of the Mitre Box. Next, I sanded the edges.

saber3.jpg

Installation was a little tricky ... took just the right fit to get it centered, but all is well ... no broken $100 plastic strip! ;)
    saber2.jpg

Nice angle view. Tomorrow, hopefully my package of parts (t-track and belt ring assembly) will come in the mail, and I can get the final pieces in place. Stay tuned!

saber1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

And Sym-Cha ... next is a Darth Vader saber, though I am still trying to score an extra Graflex 3-Cell for a future build. I have a friend who I think will need one.

russellsch, mugatu, Dart and 2 others like this.
  23. history Hunter

I also want one of these: the British 3-cell MPP Microflash, to make the Darth Vader saber. Anybody have any suggestions?

24. Luke the Belter

Who doesn't wnat one of those :lol

For suggestions I would point you to Sym-Cha. From what I've read so far I think he is the one who could help you hunt one down. Someone wrote in another thread you would need 800-1000 bucks to get one of those, I think.

To topic:
    The bubbles look fantastic. If you want a smoother fit under the clamp edges you could sand the edges of the bubblestrip down a little bit. Just make sure to mask the bubbles on the underside. Otherwise they would really get scratched up.

25. Lichtbringer

Lichtbringer Sr Member

Light scratches can be fixed with dipping scratched clear parts in Future.

26. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

I just got lucky spotting an MPP when I did some eons ago ... nowadays you need to either sell a kidney or 2 or bring a bucketload of gold-pressed latinum to afford a true MPP ... and then you'd still need to seek for the MPP flashgun with the one-step shroud ... which is a rarity on it's own :wacko

Chaim

27. mugatu

True true. I've only seen 5 of them for sale since last November, and only two had the right shroud. One of those was withdrawn from auction (everyone remembers that one, right?), and the other was wrapped up as part of a whole RAF camera kit. That one went for 600+GBP and there was some creative sneakery on the part of the buyer on that deal. My hat is off to that sly devil, whoever you are!

28. history Hunter

My t-track and belt clip set arrived yesterday. Will be installing them this weekend.

roygilsing likes this.
  29. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

If you still want to open and remove the bottom of the 3 Cell ... then please leave some room between the T-tracks and the clamp to be able to ... the bottom has to slide inwards a couple of millimeter and then twisted before it can be removed ... if you glue the T-tracks to close to the clamp it won't allow removal anymore. Also fasten the D-ring after removal and before adding the T-tracks and use a wooden dowel inside for drilling a hole to avoid bending the bottom plate with the text :)

Chaim

russellsch likes this.
  30. Romans Empire

Romans Empire Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Right!?! Those are pretty darn rare. At least REAL ones...

Which brings to mind the Holy Grail of sabers... The Obi-Wan ANH!!! You can't forget about that one!! (I'm sure no one knew I would work that in to this post :lol )

Good luck with the build! :)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  31. DorkDaddy

DorkDaddy New Member

I just acquired my Graflex this weekend and I couldn't be more stoked to start on my build. Where are you getting your t-track and belt ring assembly parts? I know I've seen a site that has all the conversion parts you can buy together, I just haven't been able to find it since my eBay victory.

32. NeoRutty

You wanna check out here...

http://wannawanga.com/

Super fast delivery, great parts...

There is Gino as well, you can search Gino T-track in the search bar. I've used both tracks, and both are great... Gino is kind of the original Godfather of tracks....

33. DorkDaddy

DorkDaddy New Member

THAT'S the sight I remembered. Thanks, Neo.

34. history Hunter

My saber is finished. I just drilled the base of the Graflex and installed the belt loop.

russellsch likes this.
  35. russellsch

russellsch Sr Member

Great to hear! Can't wait to see the finished product photos :thumbsup
    By the way, which T-tracks & other parts did you use?
    & can you believe what GRAFLEX are going for?! Especially in the last day or two :eek

36. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

history Hunter confirmed he purchased the set from wannawanga in a previous PM to me ... curious to see his work in progress too though :) ... and yes after all this time G R A F L E X flashguns are on the rise . . . :wacko

Chaim

37. OdiWan72

OdiWan72 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Maybe a renaming of EP7 is overdue...

EP7 - TGA (The Graflex awakens)

...followed by ...

EP8 - GSB (Graflex strikes back)
    and
    EP9 - ROTG (Return of the Graflex)

Markus :cool

Romans Empire, DorkDaddy and mugatu like this.
  38. jkno

jkno Master Member

You forgot Rogue Graflex

39. cyberpyrot

cyberpyrot Well-Known Member

and a graflex Holliday special

40. jkno

jkno Master Member

Wouldn't that be Graflite Holiday Special?

41. russellsch

russellsch Sr Member

Interesting that The Muppet Show is coming to TV again. Let's see if the GRAFLEX makes a guest appearance & dances with a Wookie again.

42. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Statler : 'Hey Skywalker, ... is that a lightsaber up your pants?'

[​IMG]

Waldorf : 'Nope ... it's another of them vintage G R A F L E X !'

Chaim

43. OdiWan72

:lol:lol:lol

44. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Okay ... okay ... guys those were some good laughs ... but let's get back to topic ... the work in progress of history Hunter's lightsaber :)

Chaim

45. OdiWan72

yes daddy ;)

46. history Hunter

Okay guys ... here's the finished product.

saber1.jpg

saber2.jpg

saber3.jpg

I wore the saber today in downtown Belmont Shores (a trendy area of Long Beach, CA). I had a couple of stares, and ONE very enthusiastic meet-and-greet at the bank. Had a great "fan interaction" with a guy who couldn't BELIEVE I was wearing a light saber!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm very interested in building a Darth Vader ANH light saber, despite the cost of the base tube. If anybody has a lead on the correct base and accessories, I would be very happy to learn about them. I am also on the hunt for material for a 2nd Graflex ANH Luke build, but noticed one went on Ebay for over $900! Glad I bought mine for $595 (those guys who own them at under $100 are probably laughing at me).

russellsch, jkno and mugatu like this.
  47. mugatu

Your saber looks great! You handled the T Tracks very well.

48. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Indeed ... a job well done :) ... however just have a look at Roy's Blueprint : http://wannawanga.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/blueprint-Luke-ANH.jpg and please tell me you can still loosen the bottom 3 cell part in order to position the D-ring clip 180º in regards to the clamp?

And here's another schematic between screen-used and production of the clamp in regards to the bunny ears (please just discard the position of the stamped text, which is unique for each G R A F L E X) :

[​IMG]

Here's where you can start reading about the MPP : http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=238046&highlight=MPP and here a thread about the real prop : http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=40270&highlight=MPP and this of an MPP Vader ESB/ROTJ lightsaber made by Edraven99, with the 2 step shroud : http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=220273&highlight=MPP

Chaim

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
    russellsch and mugatu like this.
  49. russellsch

russellsch Sr Member

Great job history Hunter! :thumbsup & you wore it out in public? With what they're going for, you're a brave man. Now what does your son think of it?

50. Halliwax

Halliwax Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

very nice job, those tracks came out great!!