1. Welcome to the Project Runs Forum!

This forum is intended for interest gauging and active runs. Due to the transient nature of this forum, please keep all research and ongoing discussion in one of our main forums so your information is not lost.

Only Premium Members can start a new run.

Click here for details on becoming a Premium Member.

Click here for the complete Classifieds Guidelines.

Dismiss Notice

Unlimited Run GOTG - Yet Another Star-Lord Helmet KIT

Discussion in 'Project Runs' started by MrRoboto, Apr 12, 2015.

1. MrRoboto

MrRoboto Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

NOTE ON "RUNS" & ORDERING:

Like all my kits, these are ALWAYS FOR SALE.

Because of the nature of my business, and the fact I also run a public storefront, I do not offer the typical "runs." Once I have at least 4-5 total orders (between my assorted kits), I take a day to cast and ship them.

That means if you're thinking about getting one, and wonder when it will ship, place an order ASAP. The sooner I get enough orders, the sooner they all get made and delivered.

Helmet is cast in Smooth-On Onyx resin. Tubes/bits cast in Smooth-On 300. Kit includes a 1 piece slush cast helmet, all assorted tubes/bits, and 2 red acrylic lenses.

Helmet Pricing:

Helmet is $250
    Shipping to the US and Canada is $45 and includes insurance, tracking, and signature on delivery.
    International shipping (including the UK, Canada, Russia, and Australia) is $80 and includes insurance and tracking. Allow 6-10 days. (Other countries, PM me)

@Risu is now selling eye kits for my helmets!

Ordering Info:

Go here and place an order, then pay with PayPal.

The link is to my store. It takes all the guesswork out of PayPal payments, automatically counts the number of orders, and makes sure I don't miss anybody.

This is an unlimited run. I ship these out in batches when I have enough orders to justify making a run to the shipping center.

I am NOT offering finished/painted versions of the helmet. The one pictures was one of 5 I made, and I won't be doing any more in the foreseeable future.

PHOTOS

Raw Cast

2015-01-28 20.58.03.jpg 2015-01-28 21.10.26.jpg 2015-01-28 21.11.53.jpg 2015-01-28 21.13.01.jpg 2015-01-28 21.01.23.jpg

Finished Helmet

StarlordHelmet-1.jpg StarlordHelmet-4.jpg StarlordHelmet-3.jpg
    StarlordHelmet-7.jpg StarlordHelmet-9.jpg StarlordHelmet-10.jpg
    StarlordHelmet-19.jpg StarlordHelmet-18.jpg StarlordHelmet-14.jpg StarlordHelmet-20.jpg

More photos at https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.778718212176987.1073741848.219775221404625&type=3

FINISHING

Paints Used

This photo has been on FB for a while now (link in my info, and mentioned many times in this thread), but to save my mentioning it every couple days the link is again:

https://www.facebook.com/SoloRoboto...9775221404625/776995982349210/?type=3&theater

Flanges

Basic instructions on Page 2, as well as on Facebook (www.facebook.com/SoloRoboto)

2015-02-07 00.33.36.jpg 2015-02-07 00.34.04.jpg 2015-02-07 00.35.25.jpg

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
    oldhope001 and 2007brandony like this.
  2. MrRoboto

For some reason, the link to my store for ordering a helmet isn't loading on Tapatalk (what I use to view the forums on my phone), but it IS on my computer...

If anybody knows why that might be, please let me know.

Otherwise, here it is again: http://www.soloroboto.com/?p=515

3. zombcom

zombcom New Member

This helmet looks absolutely stunning !!! Cant wait to get mine, and I sure hope RISU can get a lens kit working for this version. Amazing work my friend !!

4. Dak

Dak New Member

Well, that's stunning work. I'm not in the market, but I've alerted a friend who's been looking for a good kit.

Wrenne likes this.
  5. blastmaster

blastmaster Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just went to your sight and Bought mine!!
    This is a truly beautiful helmet. So glad another seller refunded my money because I didn't send it a s a gift.
    Thank you!!!! Everything happens for a reason!!!! So nice. Looking forward to it.........
    Thank you,
    AL

6. Soulinertia

Soulinertia Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This helmet is magnificent! Can't wait to get mine. Paid on the 11th of March. Really hoping it will ship out tomorrow??? Fingers crossed.

Thanks again Roboto!

7. MrRoboto

lol. It won't be that fast! I still have to cast each of these by hand, and I much prefer to make them and ship them in batches, as opposed to mailing each one as it gets done.

I'll be doing a batch this week along with some other casts, so I'll be trying my best to get to whatever orders come in during that time (like yours).

EDIT: just re-read the date you said: Yes! Yours is in the batch that goes out this week!

8. Soulinertia

Ahh, nice! Thanks :thumbsup

9. MrRoboto

And to head this off again (since I'm still getting PMs about it), I'm sorry, but NO, I will NOT be selling more painted versions of the helmets. Nor will I do the boring cleanup work to make them paint ready. I'm proud to hear that people would like the same finish on their helmets! But the 5 I made drained any desire I have to do any more (I don't even have one of my own yet!).

10. blastmaster

These are so clean, that I am fine with painting myself, can't go wrong, get some good pin stripe tape, 3M purple/blue tape from a auto body paint supplier!!!'You'll be fine!!!!
    Can't wait!!!
    AL

11. MrRoboto

At some point in the next coupe of weeks I'll try to get a rundown of how I painted them, I believe I have photos of the whole process. It's not difficult - just time consuming (I spent over a week doing nothing but painting those 5 helmets).

And I'm partial to Tamiya masking tape. ;)

Wrenne likes this.
  12. Wrenne

Wrenne New Member

I am looking forward to this. lol

13. zombcom

zombcom New Member

Yes , that Tamiya yellow tape is incredible, just the right amount of tack, Hands down the best I've used, it also helps to lay the tape on your shirt before application to take that factory tackiness down even further as an insurance policy for pulling up your base color when pulling it off,plus you can buy it in the nifty little grey dispensers,lol my two cents.

Daniel Nelms likes this.
  14. MrRoboto

I shipped out the first round of helmets today to those who purchased in March.

I'm off to Big Wow ComicFest is San Jose this weekend, and I'm taking a couple with me if anybody is located in Northern California.

I'll be back to casting Tuesday and hopefully shipping out helmets to those who ordered this week shortly after that!

Soulinertia likes this.
  15. blastmaster

Thanks so much for the update, Have a safe trip!!!!
    AL

16. MrRoboto

Should be casting up the next round over the coming days, and hopefully shipping by weeks end.

I've currently got time to add a few more helmets to this batch, so if you want one now's a good time!

17. Soulinertia

Got my tracking #. Should be here tomorrow!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  18. Johnnyfl

Johnnyfl Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hi, How much would shipping be to the UK?

19. RiotJavelinDX

RiotJavelinDX Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

What size head is this intended for?

20. Zexcced

Zexcced Active Member

StarlordHelmet-10.jpg

That ear LED light ! :eek:love:love

21. duality

duality Active Member

That is * sexy. Those finished photos are awesome.

22. zombcom

zombcom New Member

I received mine today and , man where do I begin? It's just really seriously amazing , the casting is movie caliber , super crisp details, and so not exaggerating here , it needs about an hour tops of seam work,. Truly a masterpiece, and a total pro job done here, just can't stop looking at it ,lol ...kudos Mr Roboto !!

Soulinertia likes this.
  23. MrRoboto

When cut in 2 pieces along the seam line (the way I finished mine, and the way the movie one was designed) t's fit literally everyone I've put it on so far. This past weekend at BigWow somebody who claimed to wear a size 8 hat (that's 25" around) got it on, and it was "a little snug." That was with padding. One of the original 5 went to somebody with a size 7 7/8 and he's comfortable in it.

I'm not positive, but punching weight and package dimensions into the Postal Service's online system, it looks to be about $70. Which seems right based on past experience. The website won't let me look at the price of insurance and signature without actually purchasing postage, though, so that could be a bit off.

I've got a friend who's an amateur photographer that does all my "commercial" photos. He's gotten pretty dang good since I started bugging him with this stuff.

Thanks guys! I'm looking forward to seeing some more finished helmets out there in the world!

24. MrRoboto

Next batch of helmets shipped!

I've been adding tracking numbers to your orders via "notes" in my store. If you're not seeing them in the "order completed" emails you should be getting, check the order status from your original confirmation email and it should show up. If not, let me know!

25. Soulinertia

Got my helmet. Looks great! Thanks again.

Already started work on it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MrRoboto likes this.
  26. 80sKIDAutoman

80sKIDAutoman Well-Known Member

Steven thank you for making these avail. Even though i pre ordered a helmet last year from another user here i just had to buy one from you. After seeing it in person at the Big WOW Comicfest was SOLD :) Looking forward to getting ours too. Anyone whom bought this helmet please add pics and a short tutorial to cutting out the eyes, cutting it in 2 pieces and just cleaning and finishing it up. Thanks.

27. MrRoboto

I've been getting this question a lot, so I thought I'd throw up some photos of where I split the helmet (this is the same way the film helmets were split). I haven't had time to do a real write up yet, but the photos should get you 90% of the way there. The flanges are fiberglass. I added rare earth magnets later (it's smarter to add them BEFORE doing the flanges, then they're embedded). Done cleanly, you can literally dance in this and it won't come loose.

2015-02-07 00.33.36.jpg 2015-02-07 00.34.04.jpg 2015-02-07 00.35.25.jpg

80sKIDAutoman likes this.
  28. 80sKIDAutoman

80sKIDAutoman Well-Known Member

Thank you. Love the flanges idea. As a secondary back up i just may add some stretchy straps insides to prevent it for falling.

29. MrRoboto

Quick bump - anybody who wants a helmet before mid June needs to get their order in by Wednesday of this week, as I'll be casting and shipping by week's end in preparation for 2 weeks of convention travels and family reunions!

30. zerahemnah

zerahemnah Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Payment sent through your store and paypal. Looks Great.

31. MrRoboto

I'm headed to Atlantic City Boardwalk Con on Tuesday, so I'll be out of the shop for 2 weeks. For anyone interested, go ahead and place an order whenever. Once I get back, I'll be fulfilling back orders (and finishing up the Winter Soldier Arm resculpt I'm doing, so I can get those orders out as well - http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=236965).

32. MrRoboto

Quick bump to say I'll be back in the shop next week, and casting/sending out orders. I won't be casting these very frequently after this, so if you want one of these guys before July, now's the time to get an order in.

33. Johnnyfl

Hi, Did you ever publish the eye socket dimensions for a Risu eye kit?

34. MrRoboto

I'm afraid not, and I apologize. I never had the time to go purchase a set of calipers. But now that I'm back home, it's on my list for this week.

35. Johnnyfl

OK thanks. I was just trying to look again at your site to try to order a helmet but your site seems to be down. Were you aware of this?

36. jontom

jontom Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hello!

I'd like to get one of these helmets if its still possible, but the soloroboto website seems to be offline?

Is there still time?

-John

37. Capn_Jack_Savvy

Capn_Jack_Savvy Sr Member

Website down....C&D? I hope not! These were nice buckets!

38. Crank729

Crank729 Sr Member

He said on his Facebook page that his site may be down sporadically within the next few days.

39. Johnnyfl

Thanks Crank729 I had not seen that

40. MrRoboto

Thanks for the concern guys!

Yes, my site is down, but not relating to C&D. I'm transferring hosting providers, and some wires got crossed, resulting in the site (and my email) being inaccessible until the transfer is complete. Hopefully in the next couple of days.

Once it's back up, YES! I've still got a couple helmet slots. And if the timing works out, I could get them done with the batch that will be going out next week.

I'll post back once the store is live again.

41. MrRoboto

Also, here's those eye measurements I promised (these are taken from the master I molded/cast and built into the helmet):

Outside: 1.857"
    Inside: 1.425"
    Inner Ring: 1.408" (there's a second, very small ring inside, which is present in the real helmet and is where I set the drop-in lenses I include - probably not needed for the Risu kit).

2015-05-29 14.56.36.jpg 2015-05-29 14.57.01.jpg 2015-05-29 14.57.40.jpg

42. MrRoboto

BTW, if it's not totally uncouth of me to ask, can those of you who ordered helmets drop me some feedback? I'm not fully sure how the system works, but I plan to keep offering kits of other items in the future and I don't want people thinking I'm some schmuck or a thief. lol

43. Soulinertia

Feedback left. It would be much appreciated if you could do the same for me. Thanks!

MrRoboto likes this.
  44. Johnnyfl

Thanks for the measurements MrRoboto.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but does anyone know how these stack up against the measurements of the TheRocketeer and MDuckett helmets or whether Risu would need to start a separate line for these helmets?

45. Bronnen

Bronnen New Member

I'd get one but the link to your store doesn't work for me.

46. MrRoboto

As several people (including myself) mentioned yesterday, the site is temporarily down. Should be back up this week.

47. Bronnen

Bronnen New Member

Ah, I didn't see that. Thanks!

48. Johnnyfl

Hi, Site is back up but it won't let you proceed to checkout, keeps giving an SSL connection error and I suspect once I get past this it still won't let me check out because I am in the UK and it won't be able to calculate the shipping. I guess I am just not supposed to get one of these :facepalm

49. MrRoboto

The site transfer finished literally 2 hours ago while I was driving home, and I'm (again, literally) in the middle of setting up SSL, email, nameservers, and half a dozen other technical issues. So no, actually, it's not fully functional yet (I DID say I'd post when it was).

OR, you could follow the instructions in the first post and PM me, since you live outside the US. ;) Because you're half right - even once it's live the site won't let you purchase (but not because it can't calculate shipping - I have it set to only sell to North America, for a number of reasons).

I am sorry that I have to handle international orders differently, but shipping gets expensive very fast, and there are a number of other complicating factors that make the process different enough from my normal process that it's best to handle them individually.

50. MrRoboto

That said, the site SHOULD be functional again in the next few hours after I write this (various DNS settings just need to propagate through the interwebs). I'll check again before I get to sleep (which should be around 3am here on the West Coast), and hopefully nothing else stupid happens between then and normal person hours when the rest of you are likely to see this!