Limited Run GOTG: Star Lord's Map Gun (ACCEPTING ORDERS)

JOATRASH FX

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey guys,

I've patterned up Star Lord's Map Gun (correct name according to Guardians director James Gunn) for my own build and the run is now GO for an initial 10 copies.

Features:

• Durable and hollow body for adding lights
  • Grey "button" parts separated to make painting easier
  • Translucent BLUE front panel and top indicator
  • Modeled-in screw fastenings for the battery plate and front bezel

*I also made a small hinge under the bottom grip plate for those that want to attempt a hidden on/off button. (I'll see of I can get a render up of how this was intended to work.) I can't guarantee this functionality since I haven't tried it myself yet- it was more of an experiment, so think of it as a bonus. I do think it's doable though.

Price is now $235 SHIPPED

Each kit will take a few days to do and they will likely be done in batches, so please count on up to a couple weeks before shipping.

Current run status as of May 7th. First batch has shipped NOW ACCEPTING ORDERS.

attachment.php

Body test prints:
attachment.php

Transluscent parts test (note: final parts will be BLUE!)
attachment.php

Final renders:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Kit breakdown (*note: The final kit will have a separate "buttplate" and be split in two, these renders show the shorter body version.)
RENDER12.JPGRENDER11.JPG

Test print of the main body from March 22. Very good results but I will be making the handle-end a bit longer in the final version. I am now far enough along that this is 100% GO for printing starting the first week of April:
mapguntest.jpg

Orders are now being taken and made in order pf payment.

All orders as of Star Wars Day have been SHIPPED.

Please PM with any questions!

Attachments

• RENDER9.JPG
    RENDER9.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 376
  • RENDER10.JPG
    RENDER10.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 386
Last edited:
Re: Star Lord's Map Gun

I've been working on this myself on and off since the film came out as it is such a cool prop. However given that my workbench is full to bursting I may buy into this run pending photos of the final product.
Good luck with the render, I've been using Solidworks to model mine.

I've been working on this when I've had extra time. The panel lines have been a bit problematic to get sorted due to the modeling techniques I have to use with this, but I think I've got a handle on them. I might have an update this weekend. I'll probably be offering the first 2-4 prints at a lower cost.

I've been working on this when I've had extra time. The panel lines have been a bit problematic to get sorted due to the modeling techniques I have to use with this, but I think I've got a handle on them. I might have an update this weekend. I'll probably be offering the first 2-4 prints at a lower cost.

Sounds intriguing, I look forward to seeing how this turns out, and might be in for one of the lower cost map guns as my prop budget isn't too flush at the moment.

I've been spending some time on it today. I still hope to have something new to show before the weekend is over!

Latest progress. You can see the beginnings of some details, the battery cover, emitter (which will be translucent), grille, and bores for adding real screws. It's still gone a long way to go. Size and shape is done by using perspective-corrected screen grabs among other things.

attachment.php

attachment.php

More to come soon...

Latest progress. You can see the beginnings of some details, the battery cover, emitter (which will be translucent), grille, and bores for adding real screws. It's still gone a long way to go. Size and shape is done by using perspective-corrected screen grabs among other things.

http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=448304&d=1425777436

http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=448305&d=1425777436

More to come soon...

Looking really nice so far.
Where did you get the reference for the front emitter detail, is it screen accurate or have you done some creative interpretation?

Looking really nice so far.
Where did you get the reference for the front emitter detail, is it screen accurate or have you done some creative interpretation?

Since the only off-screen prop image that seems to exist is from the back/bottom, so I'm working from still frames wherever possible, doing the odd bit of photo-forensics to bring out details enough to make educated guesses. I've also been looking at the concept art for the prop, though that differs significantly overall. It'll be as accurate as I can make it with the currently available reference. (I'm also doing the front as a separate piece, so that if we ever get a really clear shot of the actual prop, it could be swapped out.)

Since the only off-screen prop image that seems to exist is from the back/bottom, so I'm working from still frames wherever possible, doing the odd bit of photo-forensics to bring out details enough to make educated guesses. I've also been looking at the concept art for the prop, though that differs significantly overall. It'll be as accurate as I can make it with the currently available reference. (I'm also doing the front as a separate piece, so that if we ever get a really clear shot of the actual prop, it could be swapped out.)

Sounds good!

Interested, can't wait to see this progress :)

I've gone back to redo some stuff over the last couple of days and I now have a much better method of generating panel lines. I'll also be tweaking the front part a bit more. I was a bit conflicted because in some shots (and the concept art) the light emitter is smaller and rectangular, but in others it basically covers the entire "X". Shouldn't be too long now until I have a test print to show. It's going to be a fairly long print, so in the end it'll actually end up costing less than I'd usually ask for in terms of cost/time. Once I have something physical to show I'll start the ball rolling for real.

From the screengrabs I have the front emitter follows the profile of the rounded 'X' shape to a thickness of around 3mm.

Looking forward to seeing the first print.

From the screengrabs I have the front emitter follows the profile of the rounded 'X' shape to a thickness of around 3mm.

Looking forward to seeing the first print.

It follows the X in some shots, like the behind-the-scenes footage, but in others only the central square is lit. You can also see a "gap" in the light on each arm of the X and what looks like a separate dot of light as well. I think that the actual prop has lights in the entire X because Pratt clearly shuts it off like a flashlight while filming. In the shots where only the center is lit, the prop was most likely turned off and the only light was added with CG.

There's no way to accurately gauge exact measurements down to the millimeter on this prop with the current reference. Taking into account lens distortion and perspective, there aren't really any other on-screen details it can be compared to either because the variables are too great. I'm down to eyeballing most details right now so that it looks right. I've done it before with good results on organic shapes like this, so no worries there.

I think you're right, there is so much variation depending on whether the screengrab is from the film or behind the scenes.
The lighting on the prop itself was clearly ambient to augment the CG added in post.

Either way, I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

I think you're right, there is so much variation depending on whether the screengrab is from the film or behind the scenes.
The lighting on the prop itself was clearly ambient to augment the CG added in post.

Either way, I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

This is what I currently believe to be correct and what I'll be going with unless something new pops up. I believe that the screw mounts necessitated a break in the lights. I don't think they simply block it, but that the lighted area was actually designed to go around them because the lighted area seems to end in a curve.
lightconfig.jpg

I wasn't happy at all with the way it was going. There were some issues with the overall shape and the panel lines I had done, so I restarted from scratch. This darn thing is kicking me in the shins time-wise.

Here's the latest:
RENDER4.JPG

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back