Limited Run GOTG: Star Lord's Map Gun (ACCEPTING ORDERS)

Re: Star Lord's Map Gun

Hey guys,

I'm back from LA. Had an overfull schedule while there and only my ipad, sithonly so-so internet, so I didn't have time to hang around here much. I am however back on this. Test printed the new, longer body this weekend and it looks MUCH better:
View attachment 458347

New shell on left, with bottom "button" printed in grey plastic sitting loosely in the socket. (The bottom button has a loop underneath for adding an axel, enabling you to make it into a functional on/off button, kind of like a see-saw, for any lights you choose to incorporate, saving the hassle of an external on/off switch. Note that I don't guarantee this button-functionality, but it's there for anyone that wants to experiment!) New shell with bezel loose shown top-right. Old shell with test-fitting of the battery cover shown at lower-right.

I am just about ready to start accepting payments on these within the next day or two. Everyone on the list should expect a PM soon.

Answered this on my iPad last week, but it crashed so here goes again. The superglue method will not be needed (or even work at all) with this kit. This is hard, non-porous PLA plastic and superglue does not "soak" into it. You can still use it to glue of course, but it would be useless as a smoothing agent. (Protip: nothing glues PLA better than solvent-based plexiglass cement such as "Acrifix 116". It works just like modeling glue does on styrene, by welding it together.) This plastic is readily sandable straight off, unlike the horrible white nylon stuff many commercial places use. That stuff will even turn away a buzz-saw! (The superglue makes the nylon brittle, thereby easier to sand, though I still prefer filler-primer for the nylon stuff.) I have sanded this plastic smooth without any filler at all... it just takes longer than using the filler-primer, which is why I usually use it.

How much longer is the new print compared to the older print?
Did you manage to finalise the details on the end grille section?

Welcome back by the way. :)

How much longer is the new print compared to the older print?
Did you manage to finalise the details on the end grille section?

Welcome back by the way. :)

The details of that piece were finalized as of post #33. See the image there. I decided however that it needed to be a tad thicker. The one below is a 2.5mm test, printed in grey plastic (longer handle butt-end shown). The final kit copy will be about 2mm thick.
plate.jpg

As for length, the new longer-handle version is actually a few mm shorter than the first print. The first test print was actually too big to comfortably grip, so I scaled it down by a few percent. (I also thought is was a tad big compared to the movie, even if Chis Pratt has large hands.)

I actually found a stash of good quality white plastic here that I forgot I had, so I'm going to do a test and see if it holds up. If so, I'll print them in color until I run out. (Planning on printing the buttons in grey either way.)

The details of that piece were finalized as of post #33. See the image there. I decided however that it needed to be a tad thicker. The one below is a 2.5mm test, printed in grey plastic (longer handle butt-end shown). The final kit copy will be about 2mm thick.
View attachment 458377

As for length, the new longer-handle version is actually a few mm shorter than the first print. The first test print was actually too big to comfortably grip, so I scaled it down by a few percent. (I also thought is was a tad big compared to the movie, even if Chis Pratt has large hands.)

I actually found a stash of good quality white plastic here that I forgot I had, so I'm going to do a test and see if it holds up. If so, I'll print them in color until I run out. (Planning on printing the buttons in grey either way.)

Looks really good.
I will await my payment request e-mail.

Any idea how much postage to the UK would be for the kit?

Thanks

One more image. Here's the first print of the translucent plastic. Some print lines are visible, but that's inevitable when the plastic is clear, the way this is done. (Though in this instance, the lines serve as a nice diffuser for the light, light the tails lights of a car.) Based on how this turned out, the final kit will have BLUE translucent parts, not smoke colored. (I just didn't have any blue to test with at the moment, so I had to use green.) Since I don't usually use this color, I will likely only order just a little more than enough to cover the run.

transp.jpg

Payment sent.
Thanks for offering these.
I look forward to lighting up this prop and displaying it with the Guardians of the Galaxy Orbs I made and offered here last year.

Re: Star Lord's Map Gun (run is GO)

Payment for the first four received! I've got a long Easter weekend coming up so I'll try to crank out as many as I can during that time. Ordering translucent blue material today as well.

I have also decided that I will NOT print the main body in white- at least not the stuff I have on-hand. Last night I printed up the front body and the finer details around the vent holes were a lot more messy- not at all what I want to release to you guys. I am also going to batch-print parts because that gives more even results.

Thanks for all the support and kind words everyone. This has honestly been the most challenging model I've tackled so far but I'm glad it finally got there.

Sounds good.
I'm sure I speak for many of us when I say that it will be worth it and appreciate you using the best quality material rather than cranking out something quick for the sake of it.

Thanks

You mentioned a battery plate, but to confirm, this is cosmetic, correct? No LEDs? I'm interested either way. Put me down and I'll make payment soon.

You mentioned a battery plate, but to confirm, this is cosmetic, correct? No LEDs? I'm interested either way. Put me down and I'll make payment soon.

LEDs are not included with the kit, you'll have to source your own preferred method of lighting if you want to go that route. But the battery plate is not cosmetic. It's a little over 1mm thick and removable, to be fastened with screws. (The entire kit is hollow so that you can add electronics if you want.)

Sounds good.
I'm sure I speak for many of us when I say that it will be worth it and appreciate you using the best quality material rather than cranking out something quick for the sake of it.

Thanks

It would be a waste of my time (and other people's money) to put out crappy stuff. With the whole 3d printing rage, I wouldn't want to squander whatever rep I have around here by putting out inferior work.

Got it! I'll have a photo or two soon of all the parts I've got so far.

Good news:
Even after I started printing, a few things were bugging me, so I went back and tweaked some more. I actually spent almost two days rebuilding and tst-printing the grille from scratch (again, haha) because I wasn't happy with the way the vents were configured. The way i rebuilt it prompted me to do some serious tweaking with settings in the printer (such as trying to make it do thinner walls than it should be capable of) and the end result surprised me a bit!

Second bit of great news is that after a bit of tweaking I am now printing the body shells in ONE PIECE instead of splitting them.

I am hoping to have my supply of clear blue late this week or early next.

Reminder for those of you that haven't paid, please do so ASAP because I'm already printing up parts for everyone on the list...

Got it! I'll have a photo or two soon of all the parts I've got so far.

Good news:
Even after I started printing, a few things were bugging me, so I went back and tweaked some more. I actually spent almost two days rebuilding and tst-printing the grille from scratch (again, haha) because I wasn't happy with the way the vents were configured. The way i rebuilt it prompted me to do some serious tweaking with settings in the printer (such as trying to make it do thinner walls than it should be capable of) and the end result surprised me a bit!

Second bit of great news is that after a bit of tweaking I am now printing the body shells in ONE PIECE instead of splitting them.

I am hoping to have my supply of clear blue late this week or early next.

Reminder for those of you that haven't paid, please do so ASAP because I'm already printing up parts for everyone on the list...

Hi Joe,
Could you post a photo of the modified grille for us to see?

Thanks

I had no idea this tread even existed! How did I miss it? lol. And here we have been talking through PMs this whole time. Put me down for one absolutely!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back