Goonies - Copper Bones Key update

RelicMaker

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Update: April 03, 2006
Hey guys,
Good news, I'm pretty much finished with the exception for smoothing out some of the texture and details and all the little dings that show age.

Some even GREATER news... I found a foundry near me that will cast these in SOLID COPPER... I will then add a real patina with chemicals that speed up the process, and polish up the areas to make this piece match the actual prop.

These will also be available cold cast in copper and then aged. I'll be adding as much copper as possible to the resin to where it should be around 80 to 90 percent copper. After I burnish it up and age it, it will be cold to the touch and have the weight of a real aged copper relic.

I'll be going up to the foundry this week to get an exact estimate on cost for this piece. So far, their ball park figure is reasonable.
I'll let you know when this is happening and be moving this to the Junkyard for interested parties. I hope you guys like what you see so far...

-Brenton

[attachmentid=7453]

INTERESTED....VERY INTERESTED.........Did I mention that I was INTERESTED.. Looks really good. Better than the crap on Ebay lately. :eek

Who's not interested?? but if you guys keep saying you're interested, this thread will get changed by admin. Why don't we just stick to praise.

Originally posted by TFrosst@Nov 8 2005, 03:51 PM
Who's not interested??  but if you guys keep saying you're interested, this thread will get changed by admin.  Why don't we just stick to praise.
[snapback]1112494[/snapback]​
True, true. RelicMaker, you are off to a fantastic start or more to the point finish :thumbsup What's the over all thickness of your sculpt? If you plan on casting in copper make sure you use a hi temp RTV or make a master you can re-mold or both. Can't wait till your finished.

Originally posted by gobler@Nov 8 2005, 11:19 PM
True, true. RelicMaker, you are off to a fantastic start or more to the point finish  :thumbsup What's the over all thickness of your sculpt? If you plan on casting in copper make sure you use a hi temp RTV or make a master you can re-mold or both. Can't wait till your finished.
[snapback]1112507[/snapback]​

Thanks. To all you guys for being interested and giving praise. I appreciate it.
The over all thickness of this is about a 5/8's of an inch.
Using a hi temp RTV? I've always heard that the copper melting point temperature is way too hot for hi temp RTV. I think the only metals you can use for hi temp RTV is lead and pewter. Somebody let me know if I'm wrong here.

Well, copper melts at 1,978 F so yeah sillicone will not work, my bad. I guess the only way would be to finish your sculpt, mold it in an RTV silicone and from there make a master to set aside then use foundy wax to create a wax copy and then make a mold for metal pouring. I'm not sure what materials are used in foundry work but there are some fellas here that have done it. Smooth On has some good RTV for cold cast pours.

Who's not interested?? but if you guys keep saying you're interested, this thread will get changed by admin. Why don't we just stick to praise.

I couldn't have said it better myself. :D

This is a showoff thread (great looking key, BTW). Please keep the "interest" comments in reserve for the hopefully soon-to-come JY thread regarding this piece.

Thanks,
Lonnie

Update: Dec. 29, 2005
Sorry again for the delay. I know some of you guys are really interested in getting this. I've been swamped in photography work since November and haven't been able to even look at the Goonies Key. The holidays are over ,my heavy workload has subsided, and the inlaws from out of town have left. So, I should have some progress on this thing within the next couple of weeks.

Originally posted by RelicMaker@Dec 29 2005, 08:51 PM
Update: Dec. 29, 2005
Sorry again for the delay. I know some of you guys are really interested in getting this. I've been swamped in photography work since November and haven't been able to even look at the Goonies Key. The holidays are over ,my heavy workload has subsided, and the inlaws from out of town have left. So, I should have some progress on this thing within the next couple of weeks.
[snapback]1146335[/snapback]​

Thanks for the update. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the latest.

Originally posted by KarlBud420@Feb 13 2006, 01:40 AM
*Bump*

Any news Brenton?  :confused

Bruce
[snapback]1182842[/snapback]​

BAD NEWS Bruce and others...
Unfortunately, the guy at the art supply store sold me some sculpting clay that had sulpher in it, when he said he was positive there wasn't. So, when I go to make the mold, GUESS WHAT?, the silicone doesn't cure.... I was extremely pissed off, if you can imagine.
No worries though, I had already ordered and recieved some Klean Klay, so I'm back to work in sculpting another. I guarantee it will look as good as the last. I'm sorry to disappoint anyone who was anxious to get one of these, but I'll try and get this done as fast as time will allow.

-Brenton

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back